Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all! This is a thread for anyone who wants to talk about sensors (SJs and SPs) throughout history. Anyone, as long as a) they fascinate you somehow b) you consider them to be sensors. They can still be living.

I'll start with Winston Churchill- ESTP. Not only has his quotes on depression inspired many to research and be upfront about their experiences, but he showed Ti's flair for investigativeness. His frankness is also Ti- his quote about having enemies, for instance. Se helped him become an aware, on charge Prime Minister but still engages with enough of the vices associated with Se (drinking and smoking, for instance). Both Se + Ti made him a force to be reckoned with, who was determined to win wars. He is not without his faults, but is a good example of an ESTP.

Mozart, of course is an SFP. As is Marie Antoninette. Al Capone I've seen typed as an ESTP, but he's not really a favourite of mine.

I'll think of more.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Do they have to be Keirsey sensors, or does cognitive functions work?
If so, Alexander the Great, Napoleon and Caesar. To be fair, I don't know enough by far about any of those, but how they managed to conquer so much land is impressive in itself. ESTP, ESTP and ESFP (iirc).
Maybe even more so, though again, I don't really know enough about him, Sun Tzu. (Based on his book, which seems very Ti-Se.)

Reactions: sparklehorsette

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
and the difference between the two is...? I've read Keirsey, and he doesn't hold with cognitive functions, but they're really interchangeable.
If so, Alexander the Great, Napoleon and Caesar. To be fair, I don't know enough by far about any of those, but how they managed to conquer so much land is impressive in itself. ESTP, ESTP and ESFP (iirc).
And Caesar is so ENTJ it hurts. I've read his works in the original Latin, and it's evident in the way he writes, even if you know nothing about him as a person/historical figure.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
and the difference between the two is...? I've read Keirsey, and he doesn't hold with cognitive functions, but they're really interchangeable.

And Caesar is so ENTJ it hurts. I've read his works in the original Latin, and it's evident in the way he writes, even if you know nothing about him as a person/historical figure.
I'm not going to go into too much depth about the difference between Keirsey and Jungian cognitive functions here, but for example, he wrote (PUMII), that Jung confused introversion with intuition. There are quite a few other differences, and his temperaments doesn't always (usually doesn't) take the differences and similarities between the cognitive functions into consideration. Ie INTJs are "masterminds", proactive, smart individuals that control the world from behind the scenes. Jung described them (Ni doms) as a mystical seer and artist. Also, Keirsey is behavior, cognitive functions aren't.

About Caesar being ENTJ - yes, he's a Keirseyian fieldmarshal. That's for sure. But was his greatest concern facts and efficiency? Or was it control and ambition? Take a look at this link for arguments for ESFP
(F is Se, R is Fi, T is Ni, P is Te, L is Ti, E is Fe.)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Maybe even more so, though again, I don't really know enough about him, Sun Tzu. (Based on his book, which seems very Ti-Se.)
I second Alexander the Great. One of the greatest ESTPs and military minds in history.
George Washington - ISTJ.
Erwin Rommel - ISTP. Another brilliant military mind.
Oda Nobunaga - ESTP
Leonidas of Sparta - ESTP
Mark Antony - ESTP

Caesar and Napoleon = ENTJs

Sun Tzu = INTJ. The Art of War is more Ni-Te. A book that is heavy on Ti-Se is The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi (ISTP), a brilliant read if you ask me. There is a very stark difference between the two in how they convey a particular message/philosophy.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Should probably get some feelers in there:
Peter the Great - ESFP
Horatio Nelson - ESFP
Emperor Nero - ISFP

EDIT: I think Justinian of the Byzantine Empire may have been ESFP (although I've heard good arguments that he was ENxJ).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts