Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm just trying to find a pattern between MBTI types and their favourite films/ film character.
So, it would be greatly appreciated if you could kindly furnish a list of your favourite movies/ film characters on this thread, please!

Also, if there is already another thread disussing the same topic, then I would be very grateful if you could kindly add the link.

Thanking you in advance.

Here goes my list (I don't know if I'm an INFJ though. I just know I'm an *NF*), which is surely not exhaustive (I am not a frequent moviegoer...hehehe).

- Sound of Music
- Cast Away
- A Beautiful Mind
- (TBA) :p

·
Banned
1,646 Posts
I find that I appreciate characters who relay great emotional depth from the screen to the viewer.

Recent example is Batman/Bruce Wayne in The Dark Knight Rises, but also Alfred in that same movie. A while back I saw Remember Me, where Robert Pattinson did the same. Same for Captain Mal from Firefly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I usually like characters if I feel a lot of sympathy for them/agree with their "philosophy," so to speak. Aside from that it just depends on how funny/clever/badass they are. Some of my favorites~

Lord of the Rings - basically every character but especially Aragorn, Arwen, Legolas, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, and the Witch King of Angmar lol

The Last Samurai - General Katsumoto and Taka

Harry Potter - Snape and Luna Lovegood

Finding Neverland - James Barrie

Jane Eyre (2011) - Jane

Northanger Abbey - Mr. Tilney

The Princess Bride - Westley (duh!)

Inception - Cobb, Arthur, Eames, and Saito

Stardust - Yvaine

The Lion King - Mufasa

Mulan - Mulan :p

Edward Scissorhands - Edward

Star Wars - Darth Vader hahaha

·
Banned
1,646 Posts
Precisely. Nothing like bringing out your inner Sith! :D

Jk it's more the sympathy thing for him. If anything shows my dark side, it's how much I like the Witch King of Angmar... :O

heh heh heh
Actually... *serious mode* it's interesting... the other day there was a discussion in an e-mail group I subscribed about empathizing with 'baddies' in movies in books. I thought that they had a point. It IS odd to empathize with a gangster who murders people. For instance, I empathized with XXXX in Layer Cake. Would I empathize with a criminal and a murderer in real life? And would that be wrong?

I thought it gave something to think about.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Actually... *serious mode* it's interesting... the other day there was a discussion in an e-mail group I subscribed about empathizing with 'baddies' in movies in books. I thought that they had a point. It IS odd to empathize with a gangster who murders people. For instance, I empathized with XXXX in Layer Cake. Would I empathize with a criminal and a murderer in real life? And would that be wrong?

I thought it gave something to think about.

I can tell you from my personal experience that I sympathize with a lot of real life "bad guys" I hear about in the news, especially when everyone else is saying they deserve to be locked up for life/die a painful death/go to hell etc. I don't think there is anything remotely wrong with sympathizing/empathizing with anyone, no matter what they've done... It doesn't mean you approve of their actions or morals - it just means you can try to see things from their point of view. More importantly, it means you see them as a real person with thoughts and feelings. So many people forget that murderers etc. are human beings too. They were once little kids who dreamed about having a happy life, just like the rest of us. Nobody starts out planning to do evil things.

We can judge actions, sure, but it's impossible to judge what is in someone's mind and heart. Everyone does what they do for a reason, and I believe that anyone who commits murder or something like that really needs help in some way. People just don't do that kind of thing unless there's something very wrong - mentally, emotionally, etc. - and how are we supposed to stop others from doing the same unless we try to understand? It's the idea of getting at the root of the problem.

Idk but that's how I see it... Sorry for rambling lol.

·
Banned
1,646 Posts
I can tell you from my personal experience that I sympathize with a lot of real life "bad guys" I hear about in the news, especially when everyone else is saying they deserve to be locked up for life/die a painful death/go to hell etc. I don't think there is anything remotely wrong with sympathizing/empathizing with anyone, no matter what they've done... It doesn't mean you approve of their actions or morals - it just means you can try to see things from their point of view. More importantly, it means you see them as a real person with thoughts and feelings. So many people forget that murderers etc. are human beings too. They were once little kids who dreamed about having a happy life, just like the rest of us. Nobody starts out planning to do evil things.

We can judge actions, sure, but it's impossible to judge what is in someone's mind and heart. Everyone does what they do for a reason, and I believe that anyone who commits murder or something like that really needs help in some way. People just don't do that kind of thing unless there's something very wrong - mentally, emotionally, etc. - and how are we supposed to stop others from doing the same unless we try to understand? It's the idea of getting at the root of the problem.

Idk but that's how I see it... Sorry for rambling lol.
Actually, in that discussion I mentioned, I felt guilty. Because in a way, it doesn't bother me so much. There's this expression about hating the sin, not the sinner. I can relate to what you say, and I suppose it fits the profile, doesn't it?

I have empathized with bad guys, as well. I guess it just mainly depends on the person. It's impossible for me to judge a person beforehand on their actions.

Now I'm rambling, too :tongue:

·
Registered
216 Posts
The Fountain - Tomás/Tommy I relate to the idea of sacrificial love, investing in a relationship

Lord of the Rings - Gandalf the wizard
holds more power than he lets on, chooses to exercise his power behind the scenes

The Manchurian Candidate - Ben Marco
slowly pieces together what's happening in his own mind

Fight Club - (unnamed narrator)
goes on this journey of self-discovery and growth that he can't admit to himself that he's undertaking

EDIT: I guess the things that tie these characters togehter:

• slowed down/weak to self-deception
• not always able to reconcile 'the Details' to the 'Big Picture', even while knowing both
• believe that sacrifice adds value, not diminishes it
• are driven to leave behind a (subjectively) better world than they entered

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sabina- The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Jacques Mayol- The Big Blue
Anne Shirley of Green Gables (television series)
Maude- Harold and Maude
Harold- Harold and Maude
Hazel- Watership Down
Hawkeye- Last of the Mohicans
Kronk- The Emperor’s New Grove (and any character voiced by Patrick Warburton esp. The Tick)

I also rather like my share of bad guys:

Heath Ledger’s Joker- The Dark Knight
Raistlin Majere- Dragonlance (novels, though I think a crappy animated film was produced)
Frankenstein‘s Monster (more the version from the novel than the various films)
Mogwai- Last of the Mohicans
Hans Landa- Inglorious Basterds

·
PerC Mermaid
23,481 Posts
I love

Elizabeth (Lizzy) _ Pride and prejudice.:happy:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Benny and Joon - Sam, and Joon. Both of them. Together, and seperately. :D

Martian Child - David, and Harlee.

Thor - ...THOR. Duh.

Emma - Mr Knightley

Star Wars - Yoda, and Obi Wan Kenobi.

Jane Eyre - Jane

Alice in Wonderland - The Mad Hatter, and the White Queen.

That's all I can think of...of course there are more, somewhere in the dark recesses of my brain, but I can't find them at the moment. XD

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Star Wars - Han Solo and Chewbacca. Best duo ever... Obi-wan deserves a mention as well

Thor and The Avengers - Loki. Though he was predictable, I found him interesting.
Bruce Banner as well. There was more to his character than they let on...

Blade Runner - Rick Deckard

Aliens - Ripley and Bishop

Hitchhiker's Guide - Ford Perfect

Serenity - River Tam (shameless Summer Glau fan...) and Malcolm Reynolds

Lord of the Rings - Gandalf

Mad Max - Max (I despise Mel Gibson but he played a good role)

Soylent Green - Thorn

Fanboys - Hutch. I find I identify with him on quite a few levels.

On a side note, I'm not a fan of crossovers and fanfictions but I've always wanted to see the outcome of Reynolds and Solo going one on one...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Star Wars - Qui-Gon Jinn and Han Solo
Dark Knight - The Joker
Lord of the Rings - Gimli, Gandalf, and Aragorn
Amelie - Amelie
Shawshank Redemption - Red
Stand by Me - Chris Chambers
Alice in Wonderland - Alice and The Red Queen
Harry Potter - Snape and Luna Lovegood
No Country for Old Men - Sheriff Bell

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cool thread, heres my favorite movie characters-

Ryan Gosling from "Drive" is my favorite character ever. I think he is actually an INFJ, too.(Please tell me if you agree/disagree)
Sam Rockwell from "The Way, Way Back"
Haley Joel Osment from "A.I. Artificial Intelligence"
Tom Cruise from "Jerry Maguire"
Christoph Waltz from "Django Unchained"
Kevin Costner from "Dances With Wolves" and "Field Of Dreams"
Jack Nicholson from "One Who Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest"
Sylvester Stallone from "Rocky" and "First Blood"
Robert De Niro in "The Godfather Pt. 2" and Silver Lining Playbook"
Clint Eastwood in "Pale Rider"
Russel Crowe in "3:10 To Yuma
Tom Hanks in "Cast Away" and "Saving Private Ryan" and "Forrest Gump" and "Big" and "The Green Mile"
Edward Nortan+Brad Pitt in "Fight Club"

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've always had a strong fondness for Evelyn and The Mummy movies.
(There was no third movie, shh).

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Inception. Cobb.
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Lisbeth Salander.
Harry Potter Saga. Severus Snape.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts