Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 537 Posts

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May as well try to fill this new board up a bit.

So, Gen Z, what bands/singers/genres do you like? Links?

Wanna try and prove that those of us on here aren't just the Justin Bieber/One Direction generation (although there's nothing wrong with liking those).

· Registered
9,161 Posts
Mostly Metal. :D
Korn, Static X, Disturbed, Maximum The Hormone.
I love you. Okay?

Korn, Deftones, Black Sabbath, Down, Metallica and various other hard rock/metal bands.

I've been listening to this one a lot over the past few days.

This one's been a favourite of mine for a long time now.

· Registered
640 Posts
My favourites are The Doors, Bob Dylan, Patti Smith, Neil Young and currently Joni Mitchell. I also like things like The Velvet Underground, The Stones, Bowie, New York Dolls, The Undertones..

My taste isn't very Gen Z, I'm afraid.

· Registered
249 Posts
Madeon, M4SONIC, some other house, chillstep
And some random Linkin Park, Metalica too.
For soundtracks, Hans Zimmer.

Reactions: MisterDantes

· Registered
1,605 Posts
I'm very partial to indie/alt rock and electronic, along with a fondness for some hiphop, pop, R&B, jazz, metal, classical, and so on.

Some of my favorite artists at the moment are Radiohead, Muse, James Blake, alt-J, Vampire Weekend, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Lana Del Rey, Purity Ring, Surfer Blood, Foals, Marina & the Diamonds, Joy Division, The Shins, Sigur Rós, The Smiths...I could go on. I can find something I like in nearly any kind of music, though.

My taste is pretty Gen Y, I think.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
It's hard to garner the music I like to certain specific genres. I like music that relates to how I feel. Mostly alternative, ambient, rock, occasionally heavy metal, maybe indie in some aspects.

Music with passion you can feel and meaningful lyrics. Or how one person told me, anything with a guitar in it. Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, The Cure, The Smiths, David Bowie, Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers the list could go on. Classical music is also another favorite of mine.

· Banned
221 Posts
Very much:

U2, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Cream, John Lennon, Joy Division (!)
Coldplay, AIR, The Smiths, The Cure, a-ha (sometimes)
Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Smashing Pumpkins

Pretty random, I know. And not very Z. My father is to blame for this, at least he influenced my music taste heavily.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's hard to garner the music I like to certain specific genres. I like music that relates to how I feel. Mostly alternative, ambient, rock, occasionally heavy metal, maybe indie in some aspects.

Music with passion you can feel and meaningful lyrics. Or how one person told me, anything with a guitar in it. Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths, David Bowie, Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers the list could go on. Classical music is also another favorite of mine.
<3

· Registered
159 Posts
I pretty much like something from every genre, but my favourite genre (right now) hardcore punk, alongside post-hardcore, pop punk, easycore and screamo (spoken word with an emotional voice, for whose close minded people who like Bring Me The Horizon and bands like that are screamo - and ftr BMTH are shit. Their old stuff was alright but Sempiternal is abysmal). I do like my fair share of metalcore and indie too - Antidotes by Foals is an absolute killer of an album, you don't get a better song than Red Socks Pugie.

Here's my Last.fm if you want to have a deep look into what I listen to.

My top bands at the moment are Basement, Title Fight, Decade, Hot Damn and Balance And Composure.

Have some links. Hopefully there will be someone out there with a similar taste in music to me.. I could talk about it all day. Music doesn't seem to be a very common thing for an ISTP to be interested in, but hopefully some of you Generation Z people will have heard of some of the stuff I have mentioned.

This is probably my all time favourite song. It captures my favourite genre in a nutshell.
Also the cover art for this album is my avatar.

This is some of the more straight up hardcore that I like.

Here's some indie pop/punk that I quite like.

For all you close minded people I mentioned earlier, this is real screamo.

Sorry for all the links, I'm just really passionate about music. If anyone likes any of the same music as me, please hit me up, I'll be happy to request more music to you.

· Registered
159 Posts
@wellfxd I see you like Arctic Monkeys! Nice. What do you think of their new songs?
If you're a massive Arctic Monkey's fan, you will probably disagree, but you asked, and I'm very opinionated when it comes to music, so here we go...

New songs? Fairly average to be honest. I can see the appeal, but they really aren't for me.

However, in general, I prefer them so much more to almost everything on Humbug and Suck It And See put together (if you take Crying Lightning out of the equation). I wouldn't say they are anywhere near being one of my favourite bands, but Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not is definitely one of my favourite albums ever, and most of the songs on Favourite Worst Nightmare are right up there too. Mainly Balaclava and This House Is A Circus.

I notice you like Foals... Do you prefer new Foals or old Foals?

For me it's old Foals hands down. You can't beat a bit of math rock. New Foals are just boring and bland.

Probably my favourite Foals song... Shame it was a B-Side.

· Registered
1,605 Posts
If you're a massive Arctic Monkey's fan, you will probably disagree, but you asked, and I'm very opinionated when it comes to music, so here we go...

New songs? Fairly average to be honest. I can see the appeal, but they really aren't for me.

However, in general, I prefer them so much more to almost everything on Humbug and Suck It And See put together (if you take Crying Lightning out of the equation). I wouldn't say they are anywhere near being one of my favourite bands, but Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not is definitely one of my favourite albums ever, and most of the songs on Favourite Worst Nightmare are right up there too. Mainly Balaclava and This House Is A Circus.
Interesting! I somewhat agree with you, honestly. I love the melody of Do I Wanna Know, but I feel like the lyrics on the new songs have been largely very disappointing. I'm picky when it comes to lyrics in general, though.

I notice you like Foals... Do you prefer new Foals or old Foals?

For me it's old Foals hands down. You can't beat a bit of math rock. New Foals are just boring and bland.

Probably my favourite Foals song... Shame it was a B-Side.
I agree that their newer stuff (Holy Fire) is a lot less musically interesting than their older stuff -- like they settled into just plain indie rock for whatever reason, but I still enjoy a lot of the songs. Milk & Black Spiders and Providence are two of my favorites off the new album. I saw them live this year and it was without a doubt one of the best shows I've ever been to.

Do you have any opinion on Vampire Weekend's similar shift from a more "interesting" (in terms of genre) sound -- lots of Afrobeat influence -- to plain old indie rock on their recent album?

· Registered
159 Posts
Do you have any opinion on Vampire Weekend's similar shift from a more "interesting" (in terms of genre) sound -- lots of Afrobeat influence -- to plain old indie rock on their recent album?
In all honesty, not really, as I have never been a massive fan of their music to begin with, sorry.

· Registered
1,605 Posts
In all honesty, not really, as I have never been a massive fan of their music to begin with, sorry.
No need to apologize, I just find it interesting because the 'mainstream indie' scene right now seems to revolve around bands like Arctic Monkeys, Foals, alt-J, Vampire Weekend. Any reason they've never caught your interest?

· Registered
159 Posts
No need to apologize, I just find it interesting because the 'mainstream indie' scene right now seems to revolve around bands like Arctic Monkeys, Foals, alt-J, Vampire Weekend. Any reason they've never caught your interest?
You just answered your own question. They're in that 'mainstream indie' scene, which I find so horrifically dull at the best of times. I miss classic indie - and by classic I mean 2010 and backwards, like The Kooks, old Arctic Monkeys and bands like Pegasus Bridge (if you know who they are, please say you do).

Out of all the 'indie' there is at the moment, I really like this.

And I really, really enjoy this too.

I used to be in an indie band. We put some stuff on bandcamp for free. If you're interested (and if you're not, that's fine - we prefer to forget about it ourselves, we just leave it up out of interest to see if people check it out) I can PM you a link. It's nothing amazing, and we split up in December '12 anyway.

What else are you into?

· Registered
1,605 Posts
You just answered your own question. They're in that 'mainstream indie' scene, which I find so horrifically dull at the best of times. I miss classic indie - and by classic I mean 2010 and backwards, like The Kooks, old Arctic Monkeys and bands like Pegasus Bridge (if you know who they are, please say you do).
Do you really find the music itself to be dull, or just the scene surrounding it? I think alt-J, for example, are a very interesting band in that scene. And even though I like it, neo-psychedelia has been revisited and played out over and over again...but they bring something fresh to it, I think.
Interesting that you call bands like The Kooks and Arctic Monkeys to be classic indie, considering both their debuts came out in 2006. When I think of classic indie, I think of bands like The Smiths.
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Pegasus Bridge. Any recommendations for their music?

Out of all the 'indie' there is at the moment, I really like this.

And I really, really enjoy this too.
Good songs. The first reminds me almost of an English San Cisco with AM or the Wombats tossed in.
The second sounds very math rock-y, definitely comparable to Foals' early stuff. Thanks for the introduction, I wasn't familiar with either of those artists before.

I used to be in an indie band. We put some stuff on bandcamp for free. If you're interested (and if you're not, that's fine - we prefer to forget about it ourselves, we just leave it up out of interest to see if people check it out) I can PM you a link. It's nothing amazing, and we split up in December '12 anyway.
Sure, I'd be interested, since I'm thinking about trying to join/form a band myself, as the vocalist...what did you play?

What else are you into?
Music-wise? Lots of different things, depends on my mood. Right now I'm very into Surfer Blood.

As well as James Blake, rapidly becoming one of my all-time favorite artists.

And, though they're honestly kind of an outlier when it comes to my taste (seeing as I'm generally not very big on stadium, pomp-rock kinds of bands), I'm positively in love with Muse, especially their earlier work.

1 - 20 of 537 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.