Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
"We despise and abhor the bully, the brawler, the oppressor, whether in private or public life, but we despise no less the coward and the voluptuary. No man is worth calling a man who will not fight rather than submit to infamy or see those that are dear to him suffer wrong."

Theodore Roosevelt

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

·
MOTM October 2013
6,423 Posts
Be the change you wish to see in the world -- Gandhi

Blessed are we who have learned to laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused. --unknown

Everything turns out alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end. --came up with this one myself when I was a teen, but I've since seen it reflected elsewhere

·
Registered
304 Posts
How weird, I was thinking about this the other day.

1) We all harbour problematic tendencies.
2) Every perspective is said from experience and can be understood if we decide to.

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts

Reactions: INForJoking

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Loneliness is the human condition. Cultivate it. The way it tunnels into you allows your soul room to grow. Never expect to outgrow loneliness. Never hope to find people who will understand you, someone to fill that space. An intelligent, sensitive person is the exception, the very great exception. If you expect to find people who will understand you, you will grow murderous with disappointment. The best you'll ever do is to understand yourself, know what it is that you want, and not let the cattle stand in your way.”
― Janet Fitch, White Oleander

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Mark Twain:

Work Management: "If it's your job to eat a frog, it's best to do it first thing in the morning. And If it's your job to eat two frogs, it's best to eat the biggest one first."
Anger: "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."
New Ideas: "A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds."
Truth: "Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing wrong with this, except that it ain't so."
Actions and Words: "Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often."
Principles: "Principles have no real force except when one is well-fed."
Honesty: "Honesty is the best policy - when there is money in it."
Self-Entitlement: "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
Fear of Life: "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
Lies: "One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has only nine lives."
Good Breeding: "Good breeding consists in concealing how much we think of ourselves and how little we think of the other person."
Happiness: "Grief can take care if itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with."
Obligations: "Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do. Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do."
Heaven and Hell: "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell - you see, I have friends in both places."
Being good: "To be good is noble; but to show others how to be good is nobler and no trouble."
Truth: "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't."
Swearing: "When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear."
Giving Up Smoking: "Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times."
Opinions: "It were not best that we should all think alike; it is difference of opinion that makes horse races."
Illusions: "Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live."
Humour: "Everything human is pathetic. The secret source of humor itself is not joy but sorrow. There is no humor in heaven."
Reading: "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
Relief: "Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
Life and Death: "Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? It is because we are not the person involved."
Love and Envy: "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied."
Adam: "How lucky Adam was. He knew when he said a good thing, nobody had said it before."
Fear: "Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain."
Fish Stories: Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Diamonds: "Let us not be too particular; it is better to have old secondhand diamonds than none at all."
Biograhpies: "Biographies are but the clothes and buttons of the man. The biography of the man himself cannot be written."
Copyright: "Only one thing is impossible for God: To find any sense in any copyright law on the planet."
Facts and Statistics: "Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable."
The Public: "The public is the only critic whose opinion is worth anything at all."
Emotions: "All emotion is involuntary when genuine."
Forbidden: "The more things are forbidden, the more popular they become."
Patriotism: "Patriot, the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about."
Adjectives: "A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation."
Children: "The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop."
Prayer: "But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"
Very: "Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very'; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."
Respect: "When people do not respect us we are sharply offended; yet in his private heart no man much respects himself."
Almost Right: "The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter - 'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."
Humour: "Humor must not professedly teach and it must not professedly preach, but it must do both if it would live forever."
Life: "What a wee little part of a person's life are his acts and his words! His real life is led in his head, and is known to none but himself."
Freedom: "It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them."
Prosperity: "Few of us can stand prosperity. Another man's, I mean."
Training: "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education."
Travel: "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts."

1 - 20 of 37 Posts