Personality Cafe banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ
5,587 Posts
The quote in my signature, which I believe is from 'Mere Christianity' by CS Lewis.
People do seek things that make them feel good, and that's generally what people seek in Christianity and you see it all these saccharin Christian books about how 'God will give you things if you just believe', but it's not something that's generally based in reality, and when people just seek the feel good comfort, they feel empty, in the end, because feel good comfort is essentially meaningless in a world where bad things still happen to good people. What we should be seeking, in any ideology, really, is truth and meaning.

Reactions: JennahHaeley

·
Registered
INFJ
5,587 Posts
Also many quotes from 1984 have proven completely applicable to 2020. I often say this year is 1984, and next year will probably be 2112:
“We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it.”
Always be ware of "emergency powers". Once the government takes away a right of the people,they rarely return it unless the people fight for it.

“The ideal set up by the Party was something huge, terrible, and glittering—a world of steel and concrete, of monstrous machines and terrifying weapons—a nation of warriors and fanatics, marching forward in perfect unity, all thinking the same thoughts and shouting the same slogans, perpetually working, fighting, triumphing, persecuting—three hundred million people all with the same face.”
Sounds like the woke spaces where no one's ideology is pure enough to not get cancelled. Better think like everyone else there or you're not gonna have a career.

“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.
Twitter is nudging users away from using gendered language and words like blacklist and whitelist

“Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.”
or that biological sex exists without fear of repercussion.
Also, wut?

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
Statues are being toppled down simply because dead white guys.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

·
Registered
149 Posts
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
Statues are being toppled down simply because dead white guys.
It made me cringe just reading that. I have to take that all in rationally not to feel pain associated to the truthfullness of it. This is what deep fake looks like. Where the party is always right. But you know what dulcinea, Ive seen how they know they are wrong, and how that eats them from inside out. And that pain they try to dodge with substance or power is all they will be left with when the deal will be sealed.

I saw you liked CS Lewis, to some extent too. The four loves. Agape. Its all real.

Where the error was is, that He doesnt deliver, as He does, just that what He delivers is expressed covered in by far most extreme humbleness Im aware of. All what is great, is hidden. And all what is ALL is more than just hidden. Because it is, also, delicate. Just the the rest of your race are. What Im grateful of is to have had my eyes opened to see you for what you are. It has been so pleasurable, it has made me follow simplicity and try to actually know where I failed and still do. I really like mirroring myself to the INFJ mirror, as that is the only mirror that humbles me. And for that reason, I will be forever grateful.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts