Personality Cafe banner

What is your favourite style regardless of medium?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Poll for your favourite styles. You may be wondering why I'm asking for your overall favourite style irrespective of the medium. It's because I also wonder. That's why I asked, duh...

While there have been polls similar to this before, none of them were as broad a topic as this one (and I didn't want to necro them).

I apologise if your favourite style wasn't included, or was grouped together (desecrated) with a sub-genre that it bears little resemblance to. You're welcome to inform us as to your favourite if it wasn't mentioned (or was). Also, you may give examples of works that fall under your favourite style (regardless of medium, be it book, game, movie, anime etc.).

NOTE: The poll is multiple choice. Sorry that I phrased the question as if it isn't.

EDIT: All types welcome to vote and post. I simply want an INTP majority.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Horror in general, with a special affinity for really campy horror movies.
SF/F wise, I usually go for post-apocalyptic or space. I guess for fantasy I go for the D&D style fantasy (is that classic or epic?).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
HI guess for fantasy I go for the D&D style fantasy (is that classic or epic?).
I'd say Classic, or both. I was going to put D&D style (or rather Sword and Sorcery, as I think it's also known) but only 20 options are allowed in the polls. I regret putting the "Action/Thriller - Westerns" option in. I don't know what I was thinking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Unfortunately, I missed the part about the poll being multiple choice until after I voted. :unsure:

Had i noticed it beforehand, I would've voted for Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi (for example: Xenogears) and Psychological Thriller (ex: Liar Game, which is where my current avatar is from) in addition to Dark Fantasy (ex: Prince of Nothing).

However, having said that, I don't actually care about genres so much as styles (I consider the categories provided to be the former, despite the thread's title). I tend to prefer media that is well-written, doesn't make use of excessive purple prose, and is somewhat challenging, for instance: Game of Thrones, where one has to mentally keep track of dozens of characters, each with their own stories, plans, and motivations.

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
I really love dark psychological/crime stories. I love dark stuff. My favorite kind of drawings are black and white drawings without color.

I am big in to corrupted businessmen and mafia stuff, heh.

For fantasy I am drawn to D&D, Pathfinder, and Ragnarok.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I used to enjoy Post-Apocalyptic what-not, but I'm pretty burned out with it now, especially with the sheer ammount of mainstream garbage that's being produced en-masse.

I also like Urban Fantasy, but it is like, the most massive ghetto of fictional material, it's ugh.

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
Hmm... I think you mean genre as oppose to style, and honestly, no genre really stands out to me. All my favorites come from a variety of genres and I don't think I like most of them due to genre alone. There's masterpieces and crap in every genre... so I can't say I like any genre more than any other. If the writing is good with good pacing, interesting characters and gives me reason to keep following the story, it means I probably like it. If I lose interest in it, then I don't like it :p It's a real case-by-case individual thing for me. There's some fantasy I like, but some fantasy I think is awful, and that goes for any genre ((sci-fi, horror, action, comedy, drama, etc etc)). Sometimes I'll be more in the mood for one thing or another... but I can't say there's one genre that I obviously prefer over everything else.

I don't really like movies, though. Of all the mediums, movies seem the least interesting since so few stories work well in a 1.5 hour frame of time. Then so many movies now are like 3 hours long... and they always feel way too long :/ Books, TV shows, anime, manga, etc are preferred for me since they're longer and allow the story and characters to be more fleshed out while most movies are rather forgettable for me ((with few exceptions)). But then even for the longer ones, there's still a lot of fail... so whatever, I guess. They just have a better record with me than movies do.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Either it makes me happy/smile/laugh, go FUCK YEAH!(action essentially) or it can fuck off!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts