• Other vegetables

Votes: 7 6.4%

• Total voters
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Banned
3,415 Posts
I have voted for onion.
I don't understand how pepper didn't make the poll.

Mushrooms are nice too.
Carrots and cucumbers too. And there's more of course.

Tomatoes are wonderful, except when it's still just a tomato (too watery then).
Tomato sauce or soup, de-li-cious. ^_^ <3

·
Registered
76 Posts
I couldn't choose between broccoli, potatoes, cauliflower, beans, corn and peas. :( It's not my fault, though.

·
Registered
15,048 Posts
I am in love with cauliflower in all forms.

Can't believe I'm the only person who voted for it so far...

·
Administrator
13,423 Posts
I voted for broccoli since it's been my staple favorite.

I definitely love mushrooms, but I don't think of them as a vegetable.

The poor beet was forgotten?

“The beet is the most intense of vegetables. The radish, admittedly, is more feverish, but the fire of the radish is a cold fire, the fire of discontent not of passion. Tomatoes are lusty enough, yet there runs through tomatoes an undercurrent of frivolity. Beets are deadly serious.

Slavic peoples get their physical characteristics from potatoes, their smoldering inquietude from radishes, their seriousness from beets.

The beet is the melancholy vegetable, the one most willing to suffer. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip...

The beet is the murderer returned to the scene of the crime. The beet is what happens when the cherry finishes with the carrot. The beet is the ancient ancestor of the autumn moon, bearded, buried, all but fossilized; the dark green sails of the grounded moon-boat stitched with veins of primordial plasma; the kite string that once connected the moon to the Earth now a muddy whisker drilling desperately for rubies.

The beet was Rasputin's favorite vegetable. You could see it in his eyes.”
Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Broccoli is my favorite since they can negate or reduce the effects of bad estrogen, increasing free testosterone.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
A love list to some veggies:

Carrots - preferably very soft, optionally doused in butter and honey
Lettuce - hydroponic Bibb wtf - or just plain romaine/iceberg - or heck even "mixed greens"
Peas - my great love. I can eat so many peas
Tomatoes - are crazy good with mayo and pepper (try it)
Cucumber - in 1000 Island
Pumpkin - PUMPKIN BREAD <3
Leek - how did leek get no votes?!?! Leeks are fantastic. I love you, leeks.
Spinach - creamed plz
Sweet Corn - grilled on the cob
Broccoli - so so good especially super soft and lots of florets
Brussels Sprouts - the key to these is to get them a little soft on the outsides but firm in the middle and braised in butter
Cauliflower - delicious with Mexican cheese shreds melted on top, also an excellent pizza crust
Onion - French onion soup omg. Or just sauté them in the kitchen. The smell of sautéed onions to me is a cozy delicious smell of dinner and home.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Parsnips
Why these things aren't more popular is a mystery to me. They have a sweet and aromatic flavor that's similar to carrots, but I think parsnips taste more refined, with less tang and more of a fragrant character with hints of anise and parsley. They're very versatile too: boil em, fry em, mash em, roast em, blanche and chop em up for a salad... they can do almost anything a potato or a carrot can do.

Belgian endive
They're pale, a tad bitter and they hate daylight... reminds me of my teenage years ^_^ Delicious in a casserole with ham, potatoes, grated old gouda cheese and a splash of white wine. My mom does absolute wonders with them in stir fry dishes too, so they're versatile enough. Also nice in salads if there's some sweetness and acidity to balance out their bitterness, like some apple and balsamic vinegar.

Brussels sprouts
I guess some genius horticulturist managed to shrink down all the goodness of an entire head of cabbage shrunk to the size of a marble, so you can eat them by the dozens. They're just packed with flavor.

Jerusalem artichokes
This is another obscure root vegetable that deserves more praise. These ugly little bastards have a wonderful nutty, earthy flavor that IMO gives most tubers a run for their money. A delicious alternative to potatoes that also has some health benefits due to containing a prebiotic that stilumates a healthy gut flora. A side effect of this can be some flatulence though... perhaps this is a reason why it's so uncommon, but I for one consider farts a worthwhile facet of this spectacle we call life.

Celery root
I don't really care for celery sticks, but the root is delicious to me, even if the taste is admittedly pretty similar. Strange how that works... it may be the texture, or perhaps the fact that it's more starchy... either way, I love this stuff sliced and fried golden brown.

Red cabbage
This is amazing with apple, taters, beef and gravy, spiced with some cinnamon and cloves ... Dutch cuisine tends to be more pragmatic than exciting, but this is one of the exceptions IMO – only a complete savage wouldn't like that dish. The Flemish variety is very similar and arguably even better, but I do like the simplicity of the Dutch approach.

Sauerkraut
Sure, this is technically just pickled white cabbage, but dammit it's delicious with some potatoes, gravy and a juicy pork sausage. Or two juicy pork sausages.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,592 Posts
This is the hardest poll to answer... It is more challenging to me than a moral dilemma poll! I love vegetables and legumes.... I crave cruciferous vegetables every day, and lentils are so awesome. I'll cast a vote for Brussels sprouts. I like them oven roasted until they are black and crunchy.

·
Banned
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,470 Posts
Most vegetables just taste like vegetables to me so none really stand out, only real exceptions are sweet potato and mushroom. Sweet taters aren't an option on the poll so I go with mushrooms. Especially in chinese curry, oof.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Brussels sprouts. No hating, they're so good when they're roasted/grilled and covered with olive and garlic and the leaves get all crispy and salty. Asparagus is up there for the same reasons. Mushrooms are awesome too-on pasta, on steak, on burgers, in salads, fried.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Where do I begin since I love veggies!

Spinach, artichoke, asparagus, pumpkin, spaghetti squash, snow and snap peas, brussels sprouts, jicama, arrowroot bulbs, yu choy hearts, avocados (yes it's a fruit so piss off since so are pumpkin, squash, eggplant, tomatoes, etc.), eggplant, the list goes on since most veggies are delightful in certain dishes and not so great in others.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well I certainly need to post on this question. We do major vegetable gardening. I think of it as a kitchen garden since it is right outside the kitchen. It helps that Mother Nature my wife is a excellent cook. it is hard to come to one decision so I will go with a couple, 1. fresh cut garden asparagus with real butter and some salt, Fresh picked young Garden Peas smothered in melted butter, and not least sauteed Cauliflower and Broccoli. Some time in the future I will try to post a photo. At this time Radish, Arugula, Spinach and Onions are up and going

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Gourds, yummy... eggplants, long green beans, celery, tomato, Japanese pumpkins (tempura), cucumber (kim chee), bok choy, a choy, **water spinach, squash, chrysanthemum, and komatsuna.

·
Registered
558 Posts
In no particular order: mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, brussels sprouts, and asparagus.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I wanna give a quick shoutout to cabbage.
Just plain old cabbage... it's great. It stays fresh for weeks, tastes good, is easy to prepare, nutricious and cheap. Where's a damn cabbage emoji? Ah, just pretend this is cabbage:🍈
Thank you, cabbage. Thanks for everything.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts