Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do you tell friends, family, people about your thoughts and emotions. Supposedly as Fe it's something we do.

I tend to do this a lot. I want your perspective on how your self disclosure works. How much do you talk about your emotions?

Three INFP/ISFP friends do not talk about themselves at all. I assume it's their Fi. While I do a lot talking about thoughts and emotions. It makes me feel better.

No Fe definitions required, but do you self disclose? To which extent?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I rarely self-disclose something to my mother... such as seeing spirits or what not. Pretty rare, though.

Other than that I don't do it, unless it's random strangers on the internet because then it's okay.

Reactions: Raain

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Fe would spill it all out if Ni forecasts of the future repercussions of doing so didn't prevent it at times. i used to be far more open until i learned the hard way that not everyone can be trusted with that information.

i do share my thoughts and emotions very candidly with people i trust...that is, close friends and family.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
The only person I tell everything to is my wife. So let's look at that everything knob and dial it back a few clicks. Now that's the everything I'll be referring to for the rest of this post.

If I don't trust a person I'm not going to offer up anything personal. I can usually tell within moments of meeting a person if they're someone I might ever be able to open up to or not. If a person opens up to me and asks for my help, I will usually give them the benefit of the doubt and start trusting them, and I don't do it in degrees; I just trust them. It doesn't always work out in my favor, but I can't trust anyone if I never try. I guess I either tell you nothing, or I tell you everything.

I think I am drawn to people who are perhaps broken in one way or another, or at least hurt. That's usually the level on which I can connect emotionally. I'm very open with them about the problems I've faced and what I'm going through, and I try to use my experiences, both good and bad, to help.

If someone asks me for my help, I immediately start to feel a little bit responsible for them. I'll feel that it's my obligation to help, because that's just who I am. I'm very protective of the people I care about. I don't expect anything from them except discretion and loyalty, but loyalty only in the sense of "don't stomp on my heart while it's exposed".

I've been let down a few times by "friends" who took what they could and then hit the road when I needed help. It always leaves me feeling a little cold, but I just let it go. I find my strength and connection through other means, therefore it's hard for a person to really hurt me. At least that's what I tell myself.

So to answer the question, yes, I open up rather easily when someone asks for my help.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm a huge self-discloser. I see connections between so many things that it's difficult for me to keep my mouth shut if I think a thought I have might apply. Plus, a healthy amount of self-disclosure seems to put people at liberty to speak freely themselves.

Also, I like to put the crazy right out front where everyone can see it.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,471 Posts
It's all about trust though I think you are right - people with Fi don't seem to be as interested in sharing. My INFP brother is this way. If I ask him things about himself though, he has no problem answering my questions. When I trust someone, I just want to share my whole being with them. I reserve that only for those I really trust though and that isn't many though I would love it if I was able to trust everybody but I know that's unrealistic because most people are far from trustworthy.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I rarely self-disclose something to my mother... such as seeing spirits or what not. Pretty rare, though.

Other than that I don't do it, unless it's random strangers on the internet because then it's okay.
I'm the same way... Maybe I'm not an INFJ though, I definitely *don't* disclose feelings. The way Fe works for me is I get other people to disclose theirs and play the confidant role. Sometimes after a long out pouring they ask me well how do you feel about it, and I'm generally like ehhh..back to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts