Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if I've screwed up on posting a thread... this is my first one, other than my introduction.

As I rode the bus home today, I found myself pondering fear, and how some people have quite defined phobias while other have more broad fears about life, and then I settled on thinking about my own fears about life. Finally, I wondered if other INTPs would share these same fears, or if mine were completely unique.

So, "What is it you fear?" is essentially what I'm asking the other INTPs here.

As for me... I'm scared of moving through life. I'm a high school junior, and would really like to grow backwards instead of maturing and having to go to college and get a job and be an adult. I'm scared of rejection, but also of commitment. More randomly, I'm terrified of childbirth.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow, you basically just named my fears: rejection and commitment. Not so much childbirth, I'm not that of afraid of it. Rejection is a biggie, for both colleges and relationships. I NEED to get in the college i want to, I can't imagine rejection. Relationships: My fear of rejection leads into my commitment fear. This is what's going on in my brain: If I don't commit to it, there's no way he can reject me. I dunno...

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I wasn't so much afraid of rejection, except in the broader sense- That no employer would ever want me, no girl would ever want me. etc.

Well, I've gotten girls and jobs, and have been turned down for jobs but individual rejections don't matter so much as long as there's another opportunity.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rejection, yes, commitment no. I do hate running out of options, though.

My fears are dying alone and an apocalyptic event, zombie or otherwise. I'm not too afraid of growing up, but sometimes I just get struck with an unidentifiable anxiety about the world.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, you basically just named my fears: rejection and commitment. Not so much childbirth, I'm not that of afraid of it. Rejection is a biggie, for both colleges and relationships. I NEED to get in the college i want to, I can't imagine rejection. Relationships: My fear of rejection leads into my commitment fear. This is what's going on in my brain: If I don't commit to it, there's no way he can reject me. I dunno...
I agree with you completely on both accounts-- and especially on the college rejection fear. That seems to trump my relationship-rejection fear completely!

·
Registered
355 Posts
i'm scared of rejection, as well. it hinders my ability to form friendships or even romantic relationships. i never approach first.
not really scared of commitment, though

Reactions: Promethea

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well there is fear and anxiety.

I was afraid of heights and crowds. These were straight up phobias.

I had anxiety about romantic relationships.

The difference between them was I can overcome an anxiety. The fears were near impossible to overcome.

I got electrically shocked and it removed my fears, but I cannot recommend that.

For my anxiety, I just willed myself to ask women out. My batting average was around .003. Eventually I found a girl who said yes when I asked her out on a date.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I fear losing my autonomy, my ability to take care of and be responsible for myself. Being rendered mentally or physically incapacitated (think trapped-inside-one's-mind kind of scenario) is one of the worst imaginable things that could happen, and I would rather die than exist in such a helpless and beleaguered state - not to mention being a major burden and inconvenience to the poor soul(s) who had to look after me.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I fear failure, disgrace, commitment, rejection, and just about any other situation with the potential to be awkward. I usually think and rethink something that requires interaction with another human being, and extremely dislike the unknown. In addition, the 'locked inside the mind' scenario is one of my worst nightmares.

I hope that will help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hate rejection but I think because it is a common variable in my life. Rejected by some girl, rejected by people cause I'm not extroverted enough,some job cause I'm partly disabled so I can't do somethings or some group doesn't want me in it cause I don't match its images. I don't fear death cause I'm not worried about it happening anytime soon. I honestly think my biggest and only fear is rejection just cause I'm use to it happening so much so I never try for anything cause I know that some one else will get it besides me.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Why does it seem like rejection is a fear mainly of Introverts? Rejection is my biggest fear, rejection of my ideas. I'm not even an INTP. I have strayed from my herd! D: :cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I fear not being competent enough, making mistakes, being dependent/looking dependent, and rejection. I also have a pretty severe phobia of bees.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hm... most of the things listed are things that are rather unpleasant, but I only have on real fear and that's the fear of "waking up" one day. It's weird and probably impossible... which is what's scariest. What if I'm really just some psychotic old women tied up in a white room, talking to myself right now? That is such a terrifying thought to be unable to crawl out of this nonexistent realm.

At the same time, though, it would be amazing to think that I thought up this entire world, all of these amazing things and people and then placed myself into all of it just using my mind.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
My ex said she feared dying alone. She would have fears of not ever being able to keep close relationships. She also feared ....I dunno about fear.... but she said one time that she wished that she was ugly so people would like her for who she was.... and I thought that was so admirable I had to say it. She also was afraid of rejection.... of showing herself.... I was/am too.... so it was nice to know.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Loneliness, ageing, death (both mine and of people I care about), and clusters of dots/holes (trypophobia).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll be another for failure. Definitely my worst. Also looking stupid. I fear that someday I'll realize I'm just a giant idiot. I have a discomfort about commitment and in a related way committing to ideas. I refuse to be defined or confined!

I wouldn't have thought of it, but some have mentioned loss of independence, which resonates as well. I've been severely injured a few times, and I find that helpless feeling of having a broken body unbearable.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
I think it's interesting that you fear rejection and I see your type as one of the most rejection proof types.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts