Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Well, what do you know!

Here we are with February's Member of the Month! One of the best things about doing these Member of the Month interviews is seeing our favorite members bust up the stereotypes. This month is no different, as one of the site's best known ISTJs got her interview to me late.

:laughing:

ISTJs have some mean stereotypes surrounding them, but @MBTI Enthusiast defies several. She's friendly, she smiles a lot, and as it turns out, she's not always prompt. Let's hear it for our newest Member of the Month:

What's your real name?
Kelly

How old are you?

What country are you situated in?

The good ol' US of A (This is starting off to be quite stalkerish...)

Are you single, dating, or married?

Dating wonderful Mr. @Out0fAmmo :happy:

Do you have any kids?

Definitely not.

How would you describe yourself in one word?

Calm

What is your favorite place to travel to?

Probably Disneyland. My high school choir went there every year, so it has some great memories associated with it. That or Yosemite National Park. I have vacationed there a lot with my family. It's a lot of fun and very relaxing at the same time. :)

What is your favorite color?

Teal! Something along these lines:

What is your favorite weather?
A little on the chilly side, no humidity, sunny. Nice Fall weather.

What are your favorite books, movies, tv shows, and video games?

Books: Harry Potter series, Twilight series (The books ONLY), the middles of Nicholas Sparks books (before the inevitable depressing endings), Freakonomics

Movies: Minority Report, What Lies Beneath, I Could Never Be Your Woman, Failure to Launch, etc. Mostly romantic comedies and suspense. And normal comedies, too. :tongue: Unfortunately, I don't watch movies often.

TV shows:
Survivor, The Bachelor/Bachelorette, Project Runway, Big Bang Theory, Clean House, Storage Wars, Cake Shows, America's Next Top Model, Hoarders, What Not To Wear. Yeah that pretty much covers it. :p

Video Games:
Hmm... does Words with Friends count? I also occasionally enjoy Insaniquarium and Age of Empires.

What are your favorite foods and beverages?

Foods: Cheesecake, peanut butter anything, mangos, Subway, greek yogurt, Wheat Thins. I enjoy way too many foods. Sometimes I struggle trying to think of a food I particularly don't like. :laughing:

Beverages:
Well I gave up soda for my new year's resolution this year, soo... can't say that. I love bubble tea and Mango Lassi. I also enjoy Oregon Chai tea. I'm trying to drink more water though.

What is your favorite animal?

I like (smaller) bunnies. They seem calm and cuddly. I also had a dolphin and koala phase when I was younger. Though I think it was mostly because both Koala and Kelly start with K. Haha.

What kind of music do you enjoy?

I enjoy indie and a good portion of the stuff on the Billboard Top 40, usually. My favorite bands are Vampire Weekend, The Shins, The Futureheads, The Pidgeon Detectives, Hot Chelle Rae, Black Eyed Peas, David Guetta, LMFAO, Bruno Mars.

Do you play or follow any sports?

I don't follow any, but I do play. I've been playing volleyball for 11 years. I have played track and field for 7 years, basketball for 6 years, and soccer for 3 years previously.

What are your favorite websites to visit?

PersonalityCafe
Facebook (Words with Friends)
abc.com/cbs.com (Fave TV shows)
someecards.com
stumbleupon.com

What is your greatest weakness?

My inertia. I have a tendency to have trouble getting started with things and have trouble stopping things I've started. It causes me to be a bit slower and more methodical in my actions.

What is your greatest strength?

My ability to stay calm and have a calming effect on others.

What motivates you?

70% a desire for success in life
30% a desire not to fail in life
I also tend to leech motivation from others. If someone is really excited about something, I tend to get excited myself through what I can only assume is enthusiasm osmosis. Lastly, I am also motivated by my natural desire to avoid conflict in my interpersonal relationships.

What is your philosophy?

Philosophy? I only took on philosophy course and it was about health care. :-/ Haha. I guess my “philosophy” goes along with my motto. I think everything will turn out in life for the better, people are generally good, and personality theory can explain everything. :wink:

What are you passionate about?

Typology, volleyball. I lead a simple life. :p

What kinds of jobs have you had?

Uh oh, I knew this was a secret resume! :p Well, I worked at Coldstone Creamery for two summers. I enjoyed that a lot since we got free ice cream and I enjoyed singing for tips. Later, I worked for a liquid handling robotics company for two summers in their marketing department writing technical documents and creating powerpoints to show to customers. Otherwise, I try not to be employed during school because my life is hectic enough as it is!

What are your pet peeves?

Spelling errors, typing using “u” or “b4” etc., when people borrow my things and don't return them in the same condition, slow walkers, people who have to improve everything all the time.

What are your fears?

Permanent separation to those close to me. And (most) change.

Who do you look up to?

My older sister. She has blazed the trail for me my whole life and I don't know where I'd be without her.
Technically I don't look up to many people. I'm 6'0” after all. :tongue:

Do you have any pets?

Yes. One dog, a bichon frise, at home with my parents. :happy:

What do you do for fun and relaxation?

Chat with friends on MSN/FB, read/post on PersonalityCafe, play Words with Friends, play volleyball, watch my favorite TV shows online, nap, play card/board games.

Do I sound like a broken record yet? :wink:

How did you get involved with personality typing?

Oh good, now for the fun stuff. Well, I was being recruited for volleyball so I had to figure out my major earlier than most in high school. I went to Borders and looked for career aptitude tests, but I found a different book linking MBTI to career paths (“What's Your Type of Career?” by Donna Dunning.) The ISTJ decription was so dead on, I was hooked. I ended up choosing my major based on that book, as well as considering average salary and interest level. So that's how I became a biomedical engineer who loves personality typing. :)

What is your Myers Briggs personality type?

Contrary to popular belief, ISTJ

What is your enneagram type?

9w1-3w2-6w5 sp/sx

What's with the smile? I read somewhere that ISTJs don't smile.

Ahahaha. Well, I love smiling. I think I look better when I smile, so why not? The secret is, though, I did have jaw surgery in 2005. :shocked: I had braces for a good portion of my life, along with a jaw widening device, headgear, the works. But nothing could fix my underbite except surgery, according to my orthodontist. Luckily we got it covered by insurance, and the rest is history. I gotta show it off for all that work, right? :tongue:

I also think my 9 makes me want to appear friendlier to people so that we get along better and minimize any potential conflict. ISTJs of other enneagram types might not care as much.

So what's it like being an ISTJ 9w1?

It's interesting! Clearly it's not that common, but in the end I believe it definitely describes me. Many people think I have an ISFP tinge to me, but that's definitely the influence of the 9 I consider myself generally easygoing and relaxed, but I definitely prefer routine, schedules, and little change. I think what others don't realize is that I tend to plan relaxation time (often, haha.) So I may seem like I procrastinate and am too lax to be a J, but in the end it's all in the schedule.

I've also been accused of being a Feeler. This one is understandable on the surface since I am generally nice to others, but in the end I really am selfish. I also don't relate very well to the ISFJs I know IRL. Anyway, this wasn't meant to be a persuasive essay, but I figure some of you who are reading this might be wondering.

Do you think the different personality theories give an accurate description of you?

Oh whoops. I just answered this. Yes I do! I believe that enneagram and MBTI together can create a really accurate portrait of a person. Each measures different aspects, and together they describe me very well.

Which personality theory do you prefer, and why?

At the moment, I believe I prefer enneagram. *cricket, cricket* Yes, I know my username is MBTI Enthusiast, but I just can't help it. Now that I've learned about enneagram, thanks to @Wake, I have opened up a whole new exciting world of thought. Now there are so many more things to explore and think about and correlate when adding enneagram to the mix. I only wish I would have known my type sooner. I thought enneagram was bunk for the longest time because it didn't describe me. But I was also getting Type 5 regularly, so that was a problem. Finally, when I read some descriptions about Type 9, I realized my true type.

Do you use personality typing in the real world?

Oh most definitely. I try to type everyone I meet, especially if they seem “different” than myself. I also try to give all of my friends both the enneagram and MBTI test so that I can better understand them and have a RL example of each type. Knowing about personality typing has helped me resolve potential conflicts and understand the world much better.

Has personality typing helped you in any way?

Again, of course! MBTI has helped me understand the dynamic in my family, enneagram has helped show me what shaped me to be the person I am today. It also has helped me make friends and get to know people. I feel better connected to people once I know their types.

Do you prefer to associate yourself with certain types, and why?

Hmm. Yes. I enjoy the company of Sensors because I feel like we have more fluid conversations. I also have noticed that I have a disproportionate amount of good friends IRL who are some variation of 2-6-9. I have 3 friends who are 269, one 692, one 927. It's curious. In general, I seem to get along best with people who have 9 in their tritype.

How did you initially find your way to PersonalityCafe?

Well, I was originally on typologycentral.com (I know, right? Such a traitor. :wink:) TypoC had really low activity, and I had heard of/seen this site before from Google searches. I decided it wouldn't hurt to sign up, and here I am today! The “Thanks” got me hooked real fast. :tongue:

What made you join us?

See above

Why did you choose "MBTI Enthusiast" as your username? I'm betting it's because you're into bowling.

:shocked: How did you know? It stands for Master Bowling Techniques Incorporated. Wait, you all aren't into bowling after all this time?

Anyway, I chose it because it was accurate (at the time) and I am quite uncreative. I didn't want to choose something that didn't represent me, and MBTI Enthusiast pretty much represented me at the time.

I am thinking of changing it to EnneaEnthusiast or Enneathusiast, though, if I could get over my fear of change. :unsure:

If you had to choose your favorite forum on PerC, which would it be?

Probably gotta go with my homies, the ISTJs. I have made a lot of friends on that forum and it's always fun to interact with them. I also enjoy the high proportion of Thanks given out. :wink: Nowadays, I especially enjoy reading “ISTJ” posts with an enneagram filter on and seeing the differences and commonalities between ISTJ 1s, 5s, and 6s.

What do you like most about PersonalityCafe?

I've said it already and I'll say it again: the Thanks. Quotes and mentions are even better. VMs and PMs are the best! I also like that it provides an great way for people to get to know each other. After all, it did allow me to find @Out0fAmmo. :happy:

What do you dislike most about PersonalityCafe?

I dislike the trolls and elistist people.

What is the most important thing you've learned here?

My enneagram type! Now I can embrace the 9 qualities that I've been shunning for so long, as I was trying to fit in to the ISTJ description perfectly.

Do you have any advice for the community of PersonalityCafe?

Figure out your enneagram type and check out your enneagram forum. Some of those boards really could use some more activity. Enneagram can teach you so many things about yourself that MBTI alone cannot.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

Teleporting/Apparating. I can't count how many times I've wanted to be able to do that. It would basically be the greatest thing ever. :D

What do you know now that you wish you'd known five years ago?

You are not “immune.”
“Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.”

What do you believe is your greatest accomplishment at this point?

Getting MOTM. Of course.
:tongue: Nah, probably getting a degree in biomedical engineering at a challenging school and being ¾ of the way to a Master's Degree.

Tell us something about yourself that we don't already know.

I have an extra crease on my right pinky. :laughing:

See?

What is next for you? What are your plans and goals for the future?
Get a job. Win the national collegiate club volleyball tournament (or at least do pretty well.) See @Out0fAmmo IRL. :)
The future can be a scary thing, so I'll just end there. :p

Give us your parting words.

Members of PerC, just keep on keeping on.
And a big thanks to everyone who voted for me. It is quite an honor. :happy: All of my Threeish dreams are coming true! :D

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Alright! So long in coming, I'm really happy about this. Major congratulations to @MBTI Enthusiast

She's one of the posters that originally made me be so interested in this topic, I have learned much from her posts.

And Woah, that's something else about the crease, she's... evolving!

·
MOTM September 2012
8,417 Posts
Grats, kiddo! ;)

·
Registered
INTP sp/so 9w1 6w5 4w5
5,409 Posts
Congratulations! :proud:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts

·
Banned
3,145 Posts

Cheers! Here's to having all your christmases come at once.
bunny! hat!!!!! ahhhhhh too cute!

and Kelly, *high five* fellow bunny lover! and you totally deserve it!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.