Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
February 2017 Member Spotlight: Pif and Daleks, part two ("getting to know you")

Garden Gnome's note: This is part two of a three-part interview with @Pifanjr and @daleks_exterminate. Yesterday, they told us how they found PerC. They talked about PerC and the forums that keep them coming back. Today, they tell us their own stories. Who are @Pifanjr and @Daleks? What makes them happy? Here is the continuation of their story.

pif and daleks 2.jpg How would you describe yourself in one word?
Pifanjr- Nerd

Daleks- curious

Do you have any kids?
Daleks- Oh god, no.

Pifanjr- What she said.

Do you have any pets?
Pifanjr- Not yet, we're still living in my parents' attic while we're looking for our own apartment, but as soon as we've found one, Daleks is planning on buying enough animals to fill a zoo.

Daleks- Not a zoo... I just want cats, and a couple Tegu, and maybe ferrets (assuming we have the room).

What do each you do for a living?
Pifanjr- I'm a PHP programmer in a small company which mostly works for non-profit organizations (like local governments, hospitals, etc.), but also has a bunch of random side projects. One of these is developing their own XML based language to make web applications, which we often use for our other projects.

Daleks- I clean Pif's parents house for money. :laughing: I was initially planning on becoming a veterinarian and worked at an animal shelter, but learned that it was really common for vet students interning with us to have $100,000 - $300,000 in debt so I decided to go to Bible school because it seemed interesting (I'm agnostic). Obviously there aren't a lot of career choices in that field so I went back to school and was halfway through a cyber security degree when *someone* decided he wanted to get married and move me to a different country. So, right now, I play a lot of Civilization and read random things. I'm taking an intensive Dutch course starting next week and will be focusing on learning Dutch. I plan on finishing my study in cyber security and on working in that field.

What are some of your favorite places to visit?
Daleks- Zoos, aquariums, reptile houses, museums, Anywhere with water. I love seeing beautiful places, being in different cultures, traveling, etc.

Pifanjr- I'm honestly just happy to get home at the end of a working day. I do enjoy hanging out with my friends every so often too. I don't really have any specific place I really like to travel to though.

What kind of vacation would you most like to take?
Pifanjr- Staying at home, being lazy, watching movies and series and playing video games. Or a LAN-party, those are always awesome.

Daleks- I really enjoy swimming, camping, sightseeing, etc. I spent a night in Iceland alone in October and that was really wonderful. I'd like to go back with more time and preferably when it's warmer. I'd also like to visit basically everywhere (and I mean that). My top 10 in not any specific order are: Galapagos Islands, Antarctica, Greece, the Amazon, Italy, the UK, Switzerland, Glacier National Park (both United States and Canada), New Zealand, and a random tropical atoll away from civilization. ,
I'd also like to specify that I'd like to stay as far away from the sea of Cortez as humanly possible because Humboldt squid are terrifying.

What are some of your favorite movies and books?
Daleks- I'm just going to assume comics & graphic novels don't count, because I'll never stop.
books: American Gods, Ananzi Boys, The Graveyard Book, The Ocean at the End of the Land, Odd and the Frost Giant (basically, Neil Gaiman is ridiculously amazing) , The Handmaidens Tale, The Sun also Rises, A farewell to Arms, I'm really enjoying Chronicles of Amber but I'm not finished, Till we have faces: A myth retold, the Space Trilogy, The Silver Chair, The Great Divorce, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Orthodoxy, the Man who was Thursday. (There are so many more but pif has informed me that I'm at 17 and should stop.)
Movies- All of the Lord of the Rings, Beauty and the Beast, Star Wars (4,5 & 6), Jurassic Park, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby, Casablanca, 12 Angry Men, Dead pool, Robin Hood Men in Tights, The good the bad and the ugly, Pulp Fiction, The Princess Bride, Back to the Future, Labyrinth, Muppet Treasure Island, No Country for Old Men, Iron Man 1 & 2, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited, Grand Budapest Hotel, 28 Days Later, The Dark Knight trilogy, Anchorman, Blade Runner, How to Train your Dragon, The Matrix, Oceans 11-13, District 9, Hot Fuzz, Donnie Darko, Spinal Tap, Inglorious Bastards, Pride and Prejudice, Fight Club, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Dead Poets Society, V for Vendetta, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, Harry Potter, The Three Idiots, Memento, High Fidelity, The Goonies, My Sassy Girl (the Korean version), Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind, the first Pirate of the Caribbean movie, The man who Knew Too Little, The Scarlet Pimpernel (Anthony Andrews), Avengers, The 5th Element, Midnight in Paris, Guardians of the Galaxy.

Pifanjr- Yeah, I'm not even going to try. For books, I've mostly read fantasy (shout out to Discworld) with some science fiction (Artemis Fowl). For movies, I think it was a more equal between fantasy (LotR) and science fiction (Equilibrium), plus some comedies (Naked Gun), movies that provided me with stuff to think about (The Matrix), movies with a good twist (The Prestige), well done superhero movies (The Avengers) and the non-sucky Disney, Pixar and DreamWorks movies. I also want to mention Triangle, the one from 2009.

What are some of your hobbies?
Pifanjr- Playing video games, board games, reading about random interesting nerdy stuff and watching series. I used to read a lot, but I haven't done so in a while. I also used to play volleyball, but, with Daleks moving here and having a full time job, I don't want to give up my precious little free time I have left to keep playing.

Daleks- I also like video games, reading about random interesting things and watching series, as well as deck building games, going to museums and zoos, traveling, board games, trying new things, hanging out with friends, etc.

How did you choose your user name?
Pifanjr- I've had it for a long while. I first made it when my brother started playing Runescape for the first time and chose the name Pifan, since he was a pretty big fan of Pi (he memorized the first 108 digits). I'm absolutely horrible at coming up with names, so I just named my character Pifanjr and it stuck. I've only memorized the first 28 digits by the way, although I've been trying to get to 50.

Daleks- I'm a fan of Doctor Who. Daleks are amazing, they were always the best thing in the series, the most frightening and funny (unintentionally). Also they exterminate things, when they aren't being helpful to humans :wink:

What is the most important thing you've learned here?
Pifanjr- Some people are just wired differently. It used to be hard for me to understand the motivations and intentions of others, but now I know that others just process information differently and have different values.

Daleks- I've learned not to judge anyone too quickly. It seems that, every time I do this, especially negatively, I'm proven wrong with time. People I clash with ironically tend to become my really great friends later. Or maybe it's just some stupid, weird, subconscious vetting process to find witty people. I don't know.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?
Pifanjr- Matter manipulation. I'd be able to get anything I could wish for with a minimal amount of effort. That's the dream.

Daleks- Maybe empathy... What's that like? I'm kidding... this is really hard. Time travel would be amazing, but I have to say no because I'd abuse it. I've always liked that the Atom could shrink and travel through things like phone cords, but since most people don't have phone cords anymore and teleportation is another super power it kind of seems like a really long way around something... I guess power lines could work, but not everyone is connected so that's still kind of ridiculous... With internet cables, it works, but still when teleportation is an option - provided there aren't any restrictions like needing to have traveled somewhere first or picture it, and then if you picture something like Hogwarts, do you end up on set as it doesn't exist in reality? It just seems like it would lead to messy situations. I also think it would be fun to be able to set up worm holes or stargates in any location and then just watch from the side as homeless people under bridges in New York ended up in Paris and were really confused. So maybe that? I kind of would prefer a funny but pointless superpower because if anything were too easy, I think life would become boring.

What do you know now that you wish you'd known five years ago?
Pifanjr- Hmmm. Changing anything about the past can have intense consequences about the future. For instance, it would've been nice to have known I would've never finished my master’s thesis, so I wouldn't have a bunch of study debt and could've saved more money and probably would've had a better job right now. However, if I hadn't started my master’s degree, I would've probably never met Daleks, so ultimately I'm happier this way.

Daleks- That I’m completely ordinary (albeit weird) and that's an ok thing. I went to a school that focused on how "unique," "special," and "gifted" we were. I'm already a perfectionist and that did me no favors. It wasn't a free pass- everyone gets a gold star for effort kind of situation, but more like an actual belief that we would all accomplish great things, when that's just not a realistic expectation to place on anyone.

What do you believe is your greatest accomplishment at this point?
Daleks- I think my greatest accomplishment is in consistently choosing to look around me and read and think about the world and what’s happening and in thinking and not following what different situations have told me how to think, regardless of different political leanings or religion or ideologies.

Pifanjr- Having a successful relationship with Daleks and managing our life together. I don't think I've ever really accomplished anything great before, but this relationship has pushed my boundaries a lot and the fact it's still going strong and we've managed to get everything taken care of we needed to move Daleks to the Netherlands and make sure she can stay here is pretty amazing, considering that both of us are not that great with taking care of stuff on time :tongue:

Tell us something about yourself that we don't already know.
Pifanjr- This is a way too open question and I don't really have anything I hide. I've shared quite a lot about myself on this site already, including a fetish.
I guess there's one thing, which is both somewhat interesting and which I haven't shared as far as I know, and that's that I PM every single person who sends me a friend request on PerC (I think). I dislike gathering virtual friends just for the sake of having them, I want to have some sort of connection with them. Coincidentally, my Facebook friends list is very exclusive too.

Daleks- this isn't widely known so-- I had A LOT of collector editions barbies as a child. I assume my parents bought them for me because I'm a female and females love dolls, right? I was so excited about having them. I opened all the wrappers, buried them in my backyard and dug them up, pretending that I was an archeologist. My parents never really commented. I wonder if they may have been terrified that I was playing serial killer.

What is next for you? What are your plans and goals for the future?
Pifanjr- Moving out of my parents' attic to our own apartment and getting some kittens (and Daleks will probably convince me to get a bunch of other animals too). My current work contract ends at the end of this year, and I'm planning on looking for something more challenging and, hopefully, better paying (which shouldn't be that bad). Past that, I don't really have a plan yet, besides supporting Daleks in her efforts of integrating into our weird culture and building a career for herself.

Daleks- I'm taking a really intense course right now. It's an "introductory" course that is completely in Dutch... and most other students in it have lived in the Netherlands for a year or longer. I asked if I needed an "Introductory Course for Introductory Dutch," and my teacher said that I was at an advantage, even though I don't most know of what they're saying because we're beginning with grammar. I hope she's right. My goal for the near future is just mastering this class, and, hopefully, learning a lot. Also what Pif said. Hopefully, we'll get an apartment soon, some kitties and a Tegu, maybe a couple of ferrets :p I also plan on finishing the cyber security degree I'm midway through.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day!: Love and marriage.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uh oh. I can't resist any more.
The pull to write egg puns is too much.
The egg looked a little cracked. Or maybe fried. At any rate, it seems that life is proceeding sunny side up.

It's a Daleks thing.

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Daleks- this isn't widely known so-- I had A LOT of collector editions barbies as a child. I assume my parents bought them for me because I'm a female and females love dolls, right? I was so excited about having them. I opened all the wrappers, buried them in my backyard and dug them up, pretending that I was an archeologist. My parents never really commented. I wonder if they may have been terrified that I was playing serial killer.
This is my favourite part. XDD I kept being given dolls too and I would decapitate them; pull their arms and legs off and then put them back together. We would have had a blast being playmates. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts