Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of us ESFP's are labelled as stupid, and I'm fed up of it. I know that I am not stupid (At least I think I'm not. Look, I don't want to come across as having an ego or being 'over-confident' or bragging because I've been told these things a lot and my parents say to accept compliments and kind of believe in them). When I was 8 I learned to become fluent in English in 4 months (I am Bulgarian) and it's not an easy language. I have a lot of Linguistic Intelligence- logical/mathematical intelligence comes shortly afterwards (I took the test :D) For some reason I do well at Languages, English and the visual subjects like Art and Textiles (I'm very artsy-farsty).

Why did we get this dumb stereotype? Doesn't it say that we love to find out new things, and that we have deep intelligence? Wild imaginations?

EDIT: There was a link here but I don't have enough posts so never mind.

Is it because we're extraverted (sp)? You don't have to be a quiet introvert to be smart, you know. Popular people in schools are usually loud and bubbly, right? Well 90% of top set in all lessons is made up of them. They might not be ESFP but they sure are extraverted.

Why did we get this stereotype?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I don't think that in general people who are into typology think that all ESFPs are stupid -- its just that different people value different types. Some people enjoy focused introverts, and others enjoy the outgoing nature of extroverts. I don't think its as cut and dry as "people think ESFPs are stupid." Se dominance is valued by some, not so much by others. I personally have a preference for Ni and Ti dominants, but those functions are in my own type and perhaps its because I can simply relate to them better. My Se is a function that I typically choose to ignore most of the time.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will find plenty of people here who are accepting of all types.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hmmm. That's interesting. My ESFP sister has a knack for picking up on languages quite quickly as well....back to the my main point, though:
Like you said, it's a stereotype. Not true.
There are smart people from all types, it's just that some tend to show it more or less. I know for a fact that my sister is quite a genius girl, but (this is just her, I'm not generalizing this to all ESFPs) she tries to ignore the fact and opt out for acting 'stupid', in a sense, and not thinking things through.

And note again that I'm not saying all ESFPs do this, but maybe it's the fact their intelligence seems hidden under other qualities is why they get the stereotype.

·
Registered
756 Posts
As mentioned in the reply above, I think being extroverted just sort of distracts from showing intelligence. Mostly fun loving extroverts (like ESFPs for example) usually focus on people when they're around them and since they talk so freely to others some things are bound not to be the most intelligent things out there. I usually only interject in a conversation when I have something smart or worth while to say, other than that I rarely care about keeping a conversation going, when I'm in a bubbly or happy mood in which I usually just like to talk and joke around, most people walk away shaking their heads v.v.
Another factor is the media. How many extroverted, bubbly geniuses do you see in movies. The smart ones are usually portrayed as the awkward ones who dress weirdly and have no friends.
It kind of worries me that my ESFP friend just believes and accepts it when others tell him he's dumb. I don't find he's dumb at all, I've always thought of ESFPs as the ones who will whip out their intelligence when everyone least expects it and take over the world (I realize it's a ludicrous idea)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nobody thinks they are stupid. = Fact

There are many studies that support this, but a funny one is the one on college professors which showed that 94% of the college professors tested, thought they were better than the avreage college professor. Source: Healthcare Economist · 94% of College Professors are above average

With in particular the introverts, the intuitives and the thinkers on this forum praising their own intelligence, of course they are going to have some bias against an extroverted sensor feeling personality type.

Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of rating people based on their IQ, because IQ only measures one certain kind of intelligence. What about emotional ingelligence, visual intelligence, linguistic intelligence, bodily-kinesthetic intelligence, musical intelligence and last but not least; creativity?

It is fortunate that people are different, because we are good at different things. Is it, for instance, neccesary for a fireman to be skilled in mathematics? Does a painter need to think logically? Or an athlete to be good at writing essays?

Diversity should be praised instead of forcing people into conformity.

·
Registered
131 Posts

There are many studies that support this, but a funny one is the one on college professors which showed that 94% of the college professors tested, thought they were better than the avreage college professor. Source: Healthcare Economist · 94% of College Professors are above average

With in particular the introverts, the intuitives and the thinkers on this forum praising their own intelligence, of course they are going to have some bias against an extroverted sensor feeling personality type.

Furthermore, I'm not a huge fan of rating people based on their IQ, because IQ only measures one certain kind of intelligence. What about emotional ingelligence, visual intelligence, linguistic intelligence, bodily-kinesthetic intelligence, musical intelligence and last but not least; creativity?

It is fortunate that people are different, because we are good at different things. Is it, for instance, neccesary for a fireman to be skilled in mathematics? Does a painter need to think logically? Or an athlete to be good at writing essays?

Diversity should be praised instead of forcing people into conformity.
i agree with you. people possess different kinds of intelligence. We are different, and speak different kinds of languages (abstract/concrete...). Accept the difference, live with it and utilise it to make the best outcome. Cooperating is needed. Studying types theories and psychology are useful.
I personally love the diversity in people, not the same kind of robot manufactured from a same factory.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I only know one ESFP so I can't speak for them all. But anytime I'm talking about anything intellectual she looks at me puzzled and sometimes says I'm making her head hurt. But I haven't met any other ones yet...

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
Why does intelligence have to be measured by IQ?

Many ESFP are probably infinitely smarter, relationship-wise, than people who sit around all day with their heads in a book. Considering most people interact with others multiple times a day, that's a pretty important kind of intelligence, I'd say.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am actually pretty dumb because I got ENFP for my test a few weeks ago and I thought it was ESFP! XD Darn

·
Registered
756 Posts
I only know one ESFP so I can't speak for them all. But anytime I'm talking about anything intellectual she looks at me puzzled and sometimes says I'm making her head hurt. But I haven't met any other ones yet...
True my friend also usually refuses to read any sort of long paragraph but I think that has more to do with ExxP in General I would say.
Still when argue about a hypothetical case he usually makes some pretty good points.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just because she is half-retarded doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Infact, I often find that I want to discuss more serious topics, but many people just want to keep it 'light.'

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
ha! I wish more snotty INxxs who look down their noses on 'Sensors' would read this thread. @Stephen just closed a thread in the SJ subforum earlier because of too many 'N's (mostly INTJs) were pissing and moaning about ....well, I don't know. Anything that they deem undesirable they dump it on the Sensors, it's like we're their bogeymen or something.

Again I wish more people on this forum would have this perspective.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I am actually pretty dumb because I got ENFP for my test a few weeks ago and I thought it was ESFP! XD Darn
How does this make your dumb? This is just a poor test. You still could be ESFP, look up the cognitive functions.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
ha! I wish more snotty INxxs who look down their noses on 'Sensors' would read this thread. @Stephen just closed a thread in the SJ subforum earlier because of too many 'N's (mostly INTJs) were pissing and moaning about ....well, I don't know.
I am going to that thread to have a laugh at the ignorance! Thanks for that information.

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
You wish more people would overestimate their own _____?
I wish more people would realize that they're overestimating their own intelligence, thus causing them to reexamine their perspective....

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
I only know two ESFP's well and one ESFP... kinda well.

Two cousin ESFP's and somebody I met from class.

The one I met from class seemed like she was rather wild and crazy in her younger years but after having her son she became much more serious, at least that is my opinion.

The two ESFP cousins are quite different from each other. The younger one was wild and crazy not a year ago, but has turned around and gotten somewhat serious about life before college, makes me quite proud:proud: The older ESFP likes mechanics and sex and things of that nature, more of a typical male. In fact, he probably doesn't feel too proud of me but most likely indifferent to me. It's such a shame too, we used to be the best of friends before he started dating (four years apart). If anyone believes that sex can't change a person then you are wrong. I've seen it happen myself multiple times with a truckload of different people, one only needs to hang around a high school for validation.

None of which are stupid though, just differing interests and stages of life.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
False. I think I'm stupid. In fact, I KNOW I'm stupid! I just don't care. =D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hmmm... yeah, the sensor bias is strange. I actually really like the few people I've type that have come out as XSFP's. The ESFP I know is an intelligent guy and really knows how to have fun! He's really tries to include everyone and I really respect him for that. And he's almost always living in the moment (something I positively suck at sometimes). The ISFP I know is an amazing artist. She's ridiculously sweet and is really caring. Best of luck to you two, wherever you may end up.

For some reason this stereotype has stuck. Please don't think that everyone thinks this way, though. Both of these individuals have depth and a huge amount of relatability. They both chose difficult majors at a good college. Truthfully, these two individuals can't accurately represent all XSFP's... but in my book they're doing a pretty damn good job of giving me a good opinion of you guys!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts