Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've said that I am an ISFP through and through, but I feel out of place in this community. For example, I am not an artist. I don't like art. I work with special needs children and have to help them with art projects. A lot of it is "hand over hand" type of help. It's tedious and repetitive. Though I can appreciate art, I'm not artistic. I find creating art to be a chore because I just can't get into it. I've always been like that. I like to take pictures because I want to have a souvenir of my outing, but that's it. Can't say I'm passionate about it. When it comes to art, I am not very creative and I'd rather let someone else do the "creating".

And sometimes I am not practical. Everything I do in life doesn't have fall in line with being "practical". To me, sometimes practical is BORING and I want no part of it.

Yes, I have planned my future. I know the future might change, but for now, I am preparing myself. I work a job that I guess you could say, "inhibits" my freedom, because I am there from 9 to 4. I do this because I like to eat, and I like to go out. I also like having health insurance, and a steady regular paycheck. I like that security, even if most of my daylight hours are devoted to fulfilling employment duties.

While I have a "value system", I believe that I am more than that. I know what I like, and don't like. I know what I want and what I believe in. Yet, not every single little thing I do has to be compared to that "checklist" that is my value system. I personally believe that as an ISFP, I feel, where as other people think and rationalize. My thoughts, motives, communication are tied to my emotions and feelings. I hear things and take them personally. I need time to think about things objectively because initially, everything is taken in subjectively.

And I do have intuition. I do get "gut" feelings. I do get a hunch, or a vibe from a person. It's almost somewhat psychic. Sometimes I just feel something and it turns out to be true. Sometimes I will *think* something, like, I will suspect something, and I eventually realize that I was right.

I don't know if I am that different or what. Sorry, not trying to offend anyone. Hope this made sense. I'd appreciate your thoughts, as long as you are polite (yes I am THAT sensitive!)

:proud:

·
Registered
456 Posts
long ass paragraph
Have people been giving you a hard time about this? D: If so, I'd ignore them. If you're certain you're an ISFP, then you probably are.

I am an ISFP myself and have a couple of quirks that stand out of the stereotypical norm.

I am impractical. I don't notice small details unless it stands out or for some reason catches my eye, as I'm usually just spacing out thinking of absolutely nothing. (Unless I'm writing, then my inner critic won't leave my work alone!) I'm also kind of crude and certainly not refined. I appreciate art, but I can't draw it. So I too, kind of stand out a bit here, but that doesn't make me any less ISFP. :)

Also, keep in mind this quote from dilletante: "The preference indicates the order that the functions are used, not the inherent strength or weakness of the function."

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've said that I am an ISFP through and through, but I feel out of place in this community. For example, I am not an artist. I don't like art. I work with special needs children and have to help them with art projects. A lot of it is "hand over hand" type of help. It's tedious and repetitive. Though I can appreciate art, I'm not artistic. I find creating art to be a chore because I just can't get into it. I've always been like that. I like to take pictures because I want to have a souvenir of my outing, but that's it. Can't say I'm passionate about it. When it comes to art, I am not very creative and I'd rather let someone else do the "creating".

And sometimes I am not practical. Everything I do in life doesn't have fall in line with being "practical". To me, sometimes practical is BORING and I want no part of it.

Yes, I have planned my future. I know the future might change, but for now, I am preparing myself. I work a job that I guess you could say, "inhibits" my freedom, because I am there from 9 to 4. I do this because I like to eat, and I like to go out. I also like having health insurance, and a steady regular paycheck. I like that security, even if most of my daylight hours are devoted to fulfilling employment duties.

While I have a "value system", I believe that I am more than that. I know what I like, and don't like. I know what I want and what I believe in. Yet, not every single little thing I do has to be compared to that "checklist" that is my value system. I personally believe that as an ISFP, I feel, where as other people think and rationalize. My thoughts, motives, communication are tied to my emotions and feelings. I hear things and take them personally. I need time to think about things objectively because initially, everything is taken in subjectively.

And I do have intuition. I do get "gut" feelings. I do get a hunch, or a vibe from a person. It's almost somewhat psychic. Sometimes I just feel something and it turns out to be true. Sometimes I will *think* something, like, I will suspect something, and I eventually realize that I was right.

I don't know if I am that different or what. Sorry, not trying to offend anyone. Hope this made sense. I'd appreciate your thoughts, as long as you are polite (yes I am THAT sensitive!)

I can relate to that.

I've never understood the "artist" label on ISFPs. Doesn't it suit INFPs better?
I'm crap at painting etc. Though I do play music. But I mostly repeat what someone else has created. Because the music that I hear stick in my brain, easily. And it's the same thing with quotes, texts I like.
I mean, isn't that the Se, or however you write it?
For me it seems to be more about "you take things in via your five sense in a literal, concrete fashion". And then I save the things I develop strong feelings for and I replay it... because ISFP's are "doers".

I just relate "artist" to someone who is being very abstract.

If you know what I'm sayin.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I think artist comes from feeling and sensing combined, art isn't in your head, it's brought out into the real world.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think the artist tag is supposed to be taken quite literally. I think being creative and artistic is part of someone's character rather than personality.

I'm not very creative either. The only artistic area that I'm okay in is writing, and I rarely write nowadays.

I think we just have a knack for appreciating art (from books to movies). Our personality type feels and perceives art rather than say, thinks or judges it like other personality types. Although some ISFPs can be quite judgmental towards art at times.

And that is not to say other personality types can't appreciate art either.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I use Se as auxiliary. Definitely no auxiliary Ne here. Although as I mentioned before, I am intuitive. Though, my intuition manifests itself as gut feelings, perceptiveness, hunches..... you know, slightly along the lines of clairvoyance.

Definitely not INFP.

Reactions: Sayonara

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Ignore the MBTI profiles, they are a great read but they are just kind of horoscope like. Just pay attention to your cognitive functions, and you'll be fine.

On the subject of art though, I took it in high school and I hated it, so I ended up dropping it. I can't do art like that, I found it too demanding and restrictive. I'd rather draw when I like, and what i like. That's why art in education doesn't work. Saying that though, I know an ENFP and INFP who can draw and create anything when needed, but I find their art concentrating on a subject rather I concentrate how it looks. Colour and texture means a lot to me.

Photoshop and writing is the only creative outlets I have, but i think when it says we are creative, it's referencing to our Ni function. It's not always about art.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Getting pretty tired of reminding people that having the artist archetype doesn't necessarily make you an artist, or even creative. :tongue:

I wouldn't expect anyone to completely conform to the ISFP type. If you don't share something with the majority of us in a thread or something, please do say so and discuss it! I think we do share the trait of being generally accommodating and appreciating of difference. :happy:

This, this broad streak of individuality. Not liking something simply because they find it boring. Dunno about you guys but that screams ISFP to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hehe. it sounds like you are like me!
everything you wrote, is how i would ecsplain my self..
one thing i have noticed is when i get in touch with spiritual people or someone who is more into humanity life styles, i more or less can see there whole "life,name,family-situations and things like that of thed person.
I thinks that is kinda crazy, and people have told me they think i´m pshycic, and ask to tell them there future and stuff... but i think it´s just that i somehow perceiving peoples thoughts, through bodylanguage and ho they talk.

i´m from Norway, so sorry if the grammar is bad:p

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

I'm just curious about two things.....and thanks for sharing.....

First, on doing what "you feel". Doesn't this make your life highly volatile? I mean, feeling is supposed to be totally subjective, but when emotions derived from external stimuli get thrown in, that makes everything pretty tumultuous. Maybe that's part of the fun of it. Like, Fi/Ni are feeding your Se indirectly, and it's fun. I definitely always have fun with INFP/ISFPs. :) It's like I'm living life somehow, because it always comes off so unpredictable.

Second, gut feelings. Ever read the psychology behind the gut? It's actually built on real memories, and not something that is just formulated out of nowhere. In other words, when you get a gut reaction, the brain is just correlating a past situation, or several combined, to this new situation. If the total memory is negative, you get a negative gut instinctual reaction... if it's positive, you get a positive gut instinctual reaction. I know INTJ who have actually taken it upon themselves to control their Ni by rewiring their subconscious through meditation and intense memory training. The result is an intuition that is much more precise, and not subject to random idiosyncrasies that distort reality.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just curious about two things.....and thanks for sharing.....

First, on doing what "you feel". Doesn't this make your life highly volatile? I mean, feeling is supposed to be totally subjective, but when emotions derived from external stimuli get thrown in, that makes everything pretty tumultuous. Maybe that's part of the fun of it. Like, Fi/Ni are feeding your Se indirectly, and it's fun. I definitely always have fun with INFP/ISFPs. :) It's like I'm living life somehow, because it always comes off so unpredictable.

Second, gut feelings. Ever read the psychology behind the gut? It's actually built on real memories, and not something that is just formulated out of nowhere. In other words, when you get a gut reaction, the brain is just correlating a past situation, or several combined, to this new situation. If the total memory is negative, you get a negative gut instinctual reaction... if it's positive, you get a positive gut instinctual reaction. I know INTJ who have actually taken it upon themselves to control their Ni by rewiring their subconscious through meditation and intense memory training. The result is an intuition that is much more precise, and not subject to random idiosyncrasies that distort reality.
:confused:
Well..... uh...... mm..... I'm not sure how to answer your first question. I think there's perhaps a misunderstanding somewhere along the lines. What I was trying to say is that iF is often descried as just a value system, but I feel like, since I am an introverted feeler, I FEEL things before I think. Everything is taken in subjectively. Everything has to be processed in order for me to see the "objectiveness" of it, lest I react emotionally. I was also trying to say that while I do have a value system, and I do have to do things because I feel (and think) they are right or wrong, that's not where iF ends for me. And, no, my life is not volatile.

Never read about psychology and the gut, but it sounds interesting. I'll have to look it up. I do believe a lot of instinctual reactions, and "funny feelings" are tied to past experiences.

With me, I do have an intuition that can be spot on. It depends on the situation, but sometimes, like I said before, I get a hunch and it proves right. I also pick up on vibes, and literally feel the emotions a person is experiencing, but to a slightly lesser degree. It is somewhat psychic. And I "feel people out" when I talk to them. I usually do not say anything though, because I don't know if I'm right or wrong. Usually though (and sometimes unfortunately), I am right.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

I relate to everything I quoted. :)

I'm in a time crunch right now so I can't really elaborate, but trust me, I relate.

EDITED TO ADD: k I guess I'll elaborate a bit now.

Erm I feel kinda crunchy responding to this thread because I'm actually one of the stereotypically artistic ISFPs :/ but like everything else you said I really relate to!

And I'm really glad you mentioned the gut feelings thing because I'm the same way! I never really mentioned it before because I thought maybe other ISFPs would think I'm weird or something but it's cool that you get gut feelings too.

And lol totally, practical can be sooo boring.

And....yeah....just.... everything....everything in there that I quoted I relate to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts