Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what it is...but for a the past couple years I feel I've valued thinking as a feeler so much that I question if I am a feeler or not.

There are many possible reasons for this:

-I am a male (gender roles are more prone specifically thinking than feeling for me as a male)
-I am in my twenties, tertiary function development
-I feel like feeling has some limits and isn't honest and avoids problems, this kind of bothers me even though it's how it is...maybe I just want to develop what I lack?
-more?
-being consistent is important regardless of what others think
-I like it when people REALLY dive into things and actually have reasons that are cohesive and valid.
-College arena valuing thinking over feeling

I am an ISFJ...and I do feel like my thinking is slower and more internal and develops better alone with reflection (maybe using Si first too).

Though, ultimately I feel that I decide on how it may affect others or just kind of because it's comfortable...but this may not even have to do with cognitive functions....man oh man...it's all a slippery slope to make claims....but just to my original thought, do any feelers value thinking....or vise versa moreso than what they have?

·
Registered
83 Posts
-I feel like feeling has some limits and isn't honest and avoids problems, this kind of bothers me even though it's how it is...
Lol, I think you can say the same thing about thinking!

To answer part of your question, though, I've always valued thinking extremely highly. But I never seem to live up to the standard of rationality in my efforts and opinions. It's been a huuuge challenge trying to develop the T function, but at least good intellectual conversations are always rewarding.

It's interesting what our words can tell us about ourselves .... You were saying you're not sure if you're a feeler type or not. But you said "I feel" four times in your post!

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I am a feeler....(errr...do I want to be right?)

I've always had a lot of challenges with intellectual conversations...because I usually can't decide because I don't think I understand anything(I don't feel like I can contribute much at all most of the time)....I am never certain...errr...is that debating...now that's what's scary to me. Intellectual is a bit better because the goal isn't to be assertive but to learn...I like that more.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As someone who is a bit older, I'd definitely say you develop other functions through the years. My jobs also played a definite role in that.

What I don't get however is this "emotionality"-approach - Feeling is a rational function, just like Thinking. It is value-based, true. That doesn't mean it's irrational or emotional however. You can have "intellectual" discussions without using the Thinking function at all. Just a thought...

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
It's interesting what our words can tell us about ourselves .... You were saying you're not sure if you're a feeler type or not. But you said "I feel" four times in your post!
That actually doesen't matter. Basing feeling off someone saying "I feel" is illogical. Its just a figure of speech, if you get used to it you use it, simple.

Feelers base decisions on values over logic. For example: PS4 or X-Box One fanboys are feelers since they base their choice of console on their preference which is feeling related. Same goes for PC vs Mac or Linux vs Windows or ANYTHING. They have invested value in one or the other side. A thinker will weigh up pros and cons, then go with the best choice based on empirical logic (Te) or abstract subjective logic (Ti). For thinkers its not a matter of preference, data decides. The PS4 has better hardware, better support, less DRM, cheaper and so on. The odds are in it's favor over X-Box for example. A feeler who values the X-Box will still buy it despite the logical disadvantage of owning one.

Both Ts and Fs still feel, but emotions are not directly related to either preference. A thinker can get emotional over being logical and efficient in a debate where others disregard efficiency in favor of personal preferences. Stuff like this is why thinkers tend to be fair but not diplomatic. Truth over tactfullness and such stuff. A T will still cry over a touching movie or such things. People who have no emotions are damaged.

@Slogo

As a potential ENFP male I have the same problem with F vs T in me. For me tertiary Te has kind of become very easy to use, but I mainly use it in the form of empirical logic and not to organize & control my external enviroment (something my extreme P side sees as rather futile and boring part of Te).

In debates I can hold my own with logic no problem, a lot of the time better then most ENTJs, I love to argue logic, to be the devil's advocate and I stick to my guns, to empirical facts and truth over tact. I guess being smack center in the thinking triad (type 6 - the troubleshooter) helps with this. I have immense ammounts of mental energy to burn on such things.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah I struggle with debates too, that's something I definitely avoid. It's hard to even express any opinions I might have, just because I suspect that for whatever I say, someone has the reason I'm completely wrong. In fact, it's hard to even form an opinion in the first place because I can't think through all the branching implications of something and connect it back to a viable theory. Usually my thoughts are pretty scattered and they all contradict one another. But when I can find good people to discuss interesting ideas with, then it doesn't even matter how scattered I feel.

Edit: Shot down twice in the comments already. Ok. Back to lurking for a long time.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As someone who is a bit older, I'd definitely say you develop other functions through the years. My jobs also played a definite role in that.

What I don't get however is this "emotionality"-approach - Feeling is a rational function, just like Thinking. It is value-based, true. That doesn't mean it's irrational or emotional however. You can have "intellectual" discussions without using the Thinking function at all. Just a thought...
Hmmm...the feeling decision could be the best option....maybe best/most logical decision or even more appropriate than thinking logically. Intriguing....hmmm...I guess I still don't know if I got what you mean exactly. Feeling is a rational function as defined by Jung (others too most likely). It could also be called a judgement or decision....hmmm...just kind of saying these things...

I guess it depends how you got there...I am a Sensor dominant, so I like what I know(exp) and am comfortable with.

I guess feeling can seem more drastic or maybe emotional because it's decided and knows what it likes quickly and decides cause of that....thinking is a bit more reflective or defining what relates and it follows through based on that.

You probably know all this....but thought I'd add a bit of my opinion.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l think tertiary Ti is a good enough explanation, but side from that ISFJ has always seemed like a ''rational'' type to me and l have a lot of trouble distinguishing it from ISTJ, actually.

l see the Fe in ISFJ as being more like a social skill than anything incredibly feely so it isn't even weird for me to think of an ISFJ as also being logical.

Based simply on the ones l have known, mostly older but a few my age.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.