Personality Cafe banner

Feelers: Do You Believe Feeling Is A Superior Function To Thinking?

• It always is or it usually is

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Feeling and Thinking are equal

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • I actually wish I was a Thinker. I'd like myself more

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • I'm not sure/other

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
inspired by the "Thinkers: Do You Believe Thinking Is A Superior Function To Feeling?" thread:

I think the poll would be more meaningful and interesting if there were an option that said feeling is superior to thinking.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
To say one is superior to the other is kinda blank and narrow minded...A thinker may prefer to use T and a feeler may prefer to use F, but I can't really say one is superior to the other...What I want to do in life is create a balance and be able to call on both...I don't think there should be any arguments over any of the functions being superior xD

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Yeah, I think that nice balance between the two is best. A strong preference of either is impractical without the other to balance it out.

Reactions: BigApplePi

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
i hope this thread doesn't go crazy like the other one :frustrating:

though i'm interested to see how many F's believe that being an F is indeed superior. a lot of T's seem to believe they are superior according to the other poll. not the majority but a good amount nonetheless

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
i hope this thread doesn't go crazy like the other one :frustrating:

though i'm interested to see how many F's believe that being an F is indeed superior. a lot of T's seem to believe they are superior according to the other poll. not the majority but a good amount nonetheless
And a good bunch of those said it was a personal value and didn't say it was absolutist.

·
11,928 Posts
It erupted...that says something.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I am a feeler and I have never made a major mistake in my life. And I use my feelings to make most of my decisions. In fact when something does go wrong with a decision I made it is because I used to my thinking before making the decision.

·
Registered
86 Posts
To say one is superior to the other is kinda blank and narrow minded...A thinker may prefer to use T and a feeler may prefer to use F, but I can't really say one is superior to the other...What I want to do in life is create a balance and be able to call on both...I don't think there should be any arguments over any of the functions being superior xD
I agree. I do have to say that sometimes I wish I could turn my mind off, and turn it on again when I need it.

·
11,928 Posts
I am a feeler and I have never made a major mistake in my life. And I use my feelings to make most of my decisions. In fact when something does go wrong with a decision I made it is because I used to my thinking before making the decision.
Couldn't that maybe be your intuition at work a bit?

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Nah. I wouldn't trade my feeling for thinking though :wink:

Reactions: Mandarin

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I suppose if I didn't think it was superior, at least for me, I would be a Thinker. The poll had a typo, but I assume it meant to say "Do you believe Feeling is a superior function" instead of having "Thinking" twice. Despite voting yes, I do not consider Thinkers inferior. All my vote means is that I trust the Feeling preference more, and believe it would be less dangerous to have feeling without thinking than to have thinking without feeling, if I had to choose the lesser evil. Balance, of course, would be ideal.

·
11,928 Posts
Could be. I know I can just "feel" when something is right or wrong. I always could even as a small child.
Yeah..I'm pretty sure that's more NF than just F in general

Personally, I love being a feeler, but it would take really knowing what being a thinker and being a feeler means to determine which is actually superior...if either is actually superior.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The poll had a typo, but I assume it meant to say "Do you believe Feeling is a superior function" instead of having "Thinking" twice.
yes. how do i fix it???!!?! :sad:

EDIT: the wonderful screamofconscious fixed it for us. thanks, scream!!! it was going to drive an OCD INTP mad... :crazy:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I trust the Feeling preference more, and believe it would be less dangerous to have feeling without thinking than to have thinking without feeling, if I had to choose the lesser evil.
this is interesting. i recall seeing something similar to this in the other thread, except in favor of thinking (too lazy to look up who or where)...

so if it comes down to choosing between the two at their worst, mob violence (F's) over psychopathy (T's)? (hat tip to Eylrid for the useful paradigm.)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Could be. I know I can just "feel" when something is right or wrong. I always could even as a small child.
i think that you are just acting according to your conscience, therefor you wouldnt feel you ever made any wrong decisions, because none of them made you feel bad or guilty about it.

or is that what you meant to begin with? if it is, we have different definitions of right and wrong choices. but then again, we are supposed to arent we?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wish I were a Thinker, to be honest. I think that's why I came out INTJ the first time I took one of the MBTI tests.

My INTP beloved says he's learned a lot from me about being more sensitive to other people's feelings, though, so I guess there are some benefits. He likes my feeliness and finds it fascinating.

Reactions: MilkyWay132

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I already posted my feelings about whether or not Thinking is superior to Feeling in the other thread.. which I suppose I didn't belong in, being a Feeler. I don't think either is better than the other - they both have their merits and flaws. However, I have sometimes wished to either be a Thinker, or that feelings just didn't exist. They can be hard to manage sometimes. Thinking isn't all it's cracked up to be though - I've seen many a Thinker fly off the handle. It's like they forget rage is an emotion too.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
Both have a purpose, and reason for existing, if feeling or thinking were truly such an inferior function, would all of those types if they were inferior, wouldn't they not be successful enough in life to procreate/survive, and we'd be left with none of them?

I do admit, when I am depressed or in a situation where I don't feel the most confidence in my NF combination, I will resort to thinking with some form of rational logic on things to try and figure it out. In the end, though, if there's a situation where logic would tell me to preserve myself and how I appear to the outward people as opposed to helping a friend/family member, I flip off said thoughts and do it anyway, because that's how I roll.

Great poll, now if only I could use that INTP hunting tactic to confirm or deny a few potentials...*goes off to ponder the ethical repercussions of such things*

Reactions: Teen Rose and R2-D2
1 - 20 of 82 Posts