Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realized each NF type might process or cope with their negative emotions very differently.

#1. How do you deal with your negative emotions? Pain, fear, hurt, disappointment, sadness, depression, anger?

#2. How do you think a society or community should deal with negative emotions?

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I realized each NF type might process or cope with their negative emotions very differently.

#1. How do you deal with your negative emotions? Pain,
Wallow in it.

Ideally leap anyway but fear often paralyses us. Maybe freeze for some time until it settles.

I get over it, forget it. Distract myself. Next morning I'll be back on my feet. It takes a few more knockdowns before I consider reacting to it.

disappointment,
Not an emotion I normally feel because of others. An emotion I feel because of myself. So, look to (check: fantasise about) bettering myself or I have to learn to accept what's done is done.

Comedy and friends are always the remedy, again not an emotion I try to stay in.

depression,
Try my hardest to get through a day. Seriously consider taking sick days but there are never enough for all the depressive days. Go to work, procrastinate and take a lot more breaks to find somewhere to sit in complete isolation for long periods of time. When at home, watch crappy TV, scroll the internet without purpose. Play games until a ridiculous time in the morning. Try to force myself to feel sadness but that doesn't solve it.

Not an emotion I'm used to. I am still either the stuttering kid trying to come back with a comeback "Oh, yeah? W-well, your mum!" And then in hindsight realise what I could've said. Or I just scream at the person with only enough restraint not to physically hurt them and then reduced to tears by the end of it. It's the most shameful emotion and embarrassing. I wish I could be even a little more intimidating sometimes just to end a conversation there. Anything tamer than that where I still have my wit and intelligence I don't consider anger, but irritability. It's like a binary for me and anger and it comes in bursts. Anger is the only reason I'd cut someone out of my life.

Uh, this is a really tough question. Each negative emotion deserves a different response. Mostly I think therapy. Telling people to suppress their emotions is wrong but we have to tame anger, redirect it somehow otherwise it's dangerous. I think every once in a while people should be given a room that they can go to town with a baseball bat or something. That's some good therapy right there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
#1. How do you deal with your negative emotions?
- Pain
Jump like fuck and say "ouch!" and possibley whine about it untill it's resolved.

- Fear
Run like fuck or if I can see some benefits in my optimistic view of the future, freeze up untill it passes.

- Hurt
I never recover. All the times ive been hurt will always be there. I just learn to live with it, and accept it for what it was.

- Disappointment
I very rarely get disappointed anymore. I used to a lot but learned to stop myself from fantasizing about impossible futures.

- Sadness
Listen to extremely happy songs. Or just cry it out alone, like a big cry.

- Depression
I don't have clinical depression, usually distraction from the thing thats causing it helps.

- Anger
LEAVE THE SITUATION NOW BEFORE YOU SAY OR DO SOMETHING YOU WILL REGRET FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE AND CALM DOWN.
Re-assess on your own whether it's worth the effort. Then come back when you realise you're being a dummy.

Let it all out over time. Emotions are like a pressurised tube of gas. If you keep letting the pressure build the pipe will just burst, and you'll explode. Let it out over time in small amounts, talk to a friend about how you feel, or write it down, make a piece of music etc.
NEVER bottle that stuff up. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pain, I hide it from others and try to channel it through music

fear, I try not to put too much weight on fear because it may cause me anxiety in the future (and as a wise little green alien once said 'fear is the path to the dark side' :jedi-lightsaber:)

disappointment, I'm not too sure about this. I usually don't set my expectations very high that way there are more chances to be pleasantly surprised.

hurt, sadness, depression: I put these three together because I deal with them the same way. First of all I try to acknowledge the emotions instead of burying them deep inside me, then I let myself feel them usually with some sad/melancholic music (repressing them is never a good idea). Finally I try to understand what caused it and how to deal with it in the future. Knowing what pain is makes it easier to be grateful for all the good things in life.

anger, I don't get angry very often but when I do I talk to friends/family about it or watch a comedy. Basically anything that helps me let go of the anger (which usually happens really quickly after I vent). I don't think holding grudges is very healthy so I forgive and remember.

A society should encourage its people to feel and express the negative emotions (by talking to others or creating something by channeling those emotions) instead of represssing them. Feeling and channeling emotions is the best way to let go of all the negativity.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
[...]
fear, I try not to put too much weight on fear because it may cause me anxiety in the future (and as a wise little green alien once said 'fear is the path to the dark side' :jedi-lightsaber:)

[...]

A society should encourage its people to feel and express the negative emotions (by talking to others or creating something by channeling those emotions)
You would make a poor Jedi, but that's okay, the grey order is the only true way to keep balance in the force.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pain- If it's emotional pain, I listen to music.. If it's physical pain I heat up some milk and drop a few pieces of chocolate in.. Or I'll grind up some pepper in a pestle and mortar I have
Fear- I retreat to a safe place (Rainbow six siege/Runescape/Music).. or headphones on and music up.. If I am out in public or on the bus, I always have a balaclava around my collar so I will put it up to my mouth or nose to cover as much of my face as possible.. If they can't see me, I am safe (typical evolutionary programming)
Hurt- If it's emotional hurt, I will go straight to the gym and train hard, exhausting myself allows me to forget about the pain, but inevitably it will emerge again, but at that point I am usually passed out asleep from training and eating myself into a food coma
Disappointment- If the disappointment is born from someone being unreliable or not doing what they said they would do, I used to become hostile and passive aggressive.. Now I sit down and think about it a bit more logically.. Confirm to myself their inaction was not to just bring me down, but something perhaps stopped them
Sadness- I find myself retreating to bed, or not leaving my bed for a very long time.. Not good, but I'm using the gym as my escape from anything negative, it has worked but I need to believe it is working as it is
Depression- I don't believe I ever had it
Anger? As above, the gym is the perfect place to release this kind of energy.. If you sit around, it just builds up, better to release it

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
#1. Wallow in it, talk about it, really feel the negative emotion even though tempted to sweep it under the rug.

#2. Societies should be more honest overall.

·
Registered
15,430 Posts
I analyze and introspect them until I understand where it's coming from

Pain- I use a lot of humor to make light of the situation - write out my feelings - listen to music - call up my esfp cousin

fear- I'll introspect and imagine the worst case scenario vs the best case , pin point why I'm fearful and I guess talk about it with a close friend

, hurt
I tend to avoid that feeling

disappointment - realized that it's over and think about the next best thing

sadness
I cry alone or write down my emotions , spend time with my family, talk to my esfp cousin about it - I find walking and car rides soothing

, depression,
If it gets too bad I'll dwell in it - get trapped in the past - I notice with myself that depression tends to be a choice more so than something I'm stuck within

anger?
I must be alone- I feel better alone- I'm able to reflect the problem and analyze it better- I enjoy walking or listening to music when angry- it calms me down. I'll pin point why I'm agree and decide on whether or not it's worth explaining to the other person.

If it's anger for something injustice then I'll advocate- learn more about what I'm advocating

#2. How do you think a society or community should deal with negative emotions? Early invention and educating about depression

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
. How do you deal with your negative emotions? Pain, fear, hurt, disappointment, sadness, depression, anger?

Pain: Yell "fuck". If emotional pain, I focus on feeling it completely and put on a stoic face. It'll leak anyway but it minimizes my body's physical response which may or may not amplify the emotion.

Fear: Acknowledge it. Accept it. Question if its a logical fear (hungry lion in front of me) or illogical (speaking to a stranger). Find something bigger to be more afraid of (regret) or doubt my current fear's hold over my choice in behavior. Then act in spite of said fear. Or commit to a decision. If its not serious, then remove myself to a comfort zone and alleviate the fear.

Hurt: Wallow. Then meditate or self-comfort. Distract. Overthink it.

Disappointment: Re-evaluate expectations. Work up a compromise or solution. Daydream violence for catharsis.

Sadness: Amplify and explore it. Go as deep as possible. Cry. Lay in bed and daydream more sad empathetic stuff. Or distract myself if I need to continue performing.

Depression: Lay in bed and stare at the ceiling. Zone out. Get up and then sit still. Then walk around. Steadily increase amount of motion to realize my body is still working regardless of where my mind is at. Enforce a braindead routine. Take herbal supplements. Exercise. Anything that gets my physical body to activate/respond and restore vitality. My mind will catch up. I just need to trust the process.

Anger: Anger is different... there are so many reasons for it. Sometimes its not even real anger its just overstimulation. Tons of things I can do with it rather than just deal with it.

[HR][/HR]

I don't "agree" with the question in the sense that certain emotions may be considered negative and must be "dealt with". I imagine a toddler acting out and getting punished/disciplined until they only exhibit proper behavior. That bad behavior is still there, it didn't go anywhere. That's a poor analogy but it was just a random imagination.

Alright, how about this?

What makes an emotion negative in the first place?

Undesired? Inappropriate? Like the whole stigma behind negative emotions is likely the reason why people are trying to suppress it in the first place. It's almost shameful to just feel bad and want to talk about it. Now that doesn't quite make sense. Anyway, I could just say that people as individuals and as small groups should work to establish coping methods to prevent interpreting such emotions as worse than they really are. And as a society, there should be a unanimous agreement of such emotions as being just as respectable as the more desirable feelz. I mean, maybe they are but not enough to where it permeates the health/medical institutions. We could learn how to properly express our emotions to achieve proper catharsis and psychological balance. But I'm just looking at the big picture here that kind of stuff is quite obvious. Maybe discuss how to actually achieve said vision would be more insightful.

But in the end, one thing I'd argue for clearly is addressing the technology age and the growing dependence on it for emotional support. Technology can't comfort people, only other people can do that.

·
Registered
759 Posts

#1. How do you deal with your negative emotions? Pain, fear, hurt, disappointment, sadness, depression, anger?

I go online and verbally abuse everybody. If I see people pitying themselves or talking nonsense, I get sassy and start talking sense to them and why they should pull themselves together -- pretty much telling them everything I wish people would tell me. (I'm very good at giving advice, but when others give advice to me, I prod it with a stick expecting it to move.) Then I go offline and question my purpose in life, maybe cry over a glass of wine or cup of tea, and lay on a yoga mat I've never used for the purpose of which it was designed to be used.

Society should deal with them by not labelling them as negative. It is such an ugly word and I think it scares people because nobody "wants" to be negative, so they will fall into denial about their feelings to avoid labels. I think people should embrace feelings in general and discuss them, philosophise them, then drown them in an Irish coffee. Similar to cooking, I suppose: if something is bitter, add salt; if it's too salty, add sugar; if it's too sweet, add acidity. Honestly, the way people run away from these things you'd think they have severe allergies.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Society should deal with them by not labelling them as negative. It is such an ugly word and I think it scares people because nobody "wants" to be negative, so they will fall into denial about their feelings to avoid labels.
I don't think society's labeling is what makes them negative. They simply are negative. If I was having anxiety or a depressive day it doesn't matter how many people come up to me and tell me "it's good to feel that way" I won't believe them. Because it's awful. You can't sugar coat a panic attack to make it easier to cope with. I don't want to feel that way because I much prefer endorphins and the like, it's nature that tells me those feelings are good and so that's why I'll escape to those feelings.

Although I think society needs to learn how to embrace these feelings instead of shunning them we still have to embrace them for what they are.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I go online and verbally abuse everybody. If I see people pitying themselves or talking nonsense, I get sassy and start talking sense to them and why they should pull themselves together -- pretty much telling them everything I wish people would tell me. (I'm very good at giving advice, but when others give advice to me, I prod it with a stick expecting it to move.) Then I go offline and question my purpose in life, maybe cry over a glass of wine or cup of tea, and lay on a yoga mat I've never used for the purpose of which it was designed to be used.
At first, that sounds terribly negative. But I admire the self-awareness and honesty in your post. Some people don't realize when they're taking out their frustrations on others and talking crap. At least in your case you know what is going on and you can control your actions.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Not a feeler, but here we go:

#1. I keep my mind and/or body occupied with something else to avoid soaking in the unpleasant feelings.
#2. I think we must not have a standard approach to deal with it. Strong friendships and family connections have always dealt with the problem adequately and I see no reason to change that.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Sometimes a quick response to the surrounding or most of the time reflecting myself. I use my principle (in this case, my religion) as a method to judge whether I'm supposed to feel what I'm feeling right now or if it's in an appropriate amount.

Then depend on knowledge and experience, I'll do what I'm supposed to according to the situation, time, place and a lot more factors. Such as if I should change my perception or should I talk about it to who and stuff like that. But basically to me reflecting is the most important part. I like to make resolution and peace for myself, I often find a very definite answer as to "is it right to feel that way" and "what should I feel, think and do now". Usually it will end with inner peace and mind. And the feelings towards the memory or incident will not haunt me in months or years later.

Based on their principle and values. But if they don't, I won't force to.

Reactions: Fennel

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
It depends on the context and sometimes a different remedy will work each time whether that's writing, listening to a song that mirrors what I'm feeling or makes me happier, watching a show where I see characters experiencing similar things (it makes me feel not so alone), venting about it to purge it from my system, getting encouragment from others etc. No one wants to feel bad. I guess emotional pain can actually have an addictive quality to it but that's another can of worms.

If I'm angry I'll either express it or try to resolve it on my own. But it really depends how deeply embedded the emotion is, ya know? There's getting irritated or angry about little things (that could actually signify you're angry about something deeper) and then there's the big stuff that leaves scars that have a habit of reopening every now and then (even after they're mostly healed). Sometimes I just need to talk things out several times before it's purged from my system. Funny how that works. If I can use it as fuel for Art then I feel like you transcend the negativity of the emotion or experience because you're creating beauty from pain and that is bittersweet to me.

We should all have a room where we are allowed to let out all of our primal screams :p haha In all seriousness, I don't think throwing drugs at it is the answer. I think drugs should be used as a last resort rather than the primary solution which I see so often. They take care of the symptoms but not much else. I think a healthy diet/natural supplements should be implemented or tried first (physical solutions) + other types of therapy (talking to a therapist, listening to music etc.).

And I agree that depression needs to stop being seen as taboo (we should be able to openly talk about it) and we need to stop demonizing certain emotions (like anger - which usually hides deep pain). Typically we all have emotions that we subconsciously demonize because we got the message in our childhood that certain emotions were not okay to express. So those ones tend to be harder for us to express. This could probably be linked to enneagram too.

We also need to start seeing sensitivity as a gift rather than a curse and not shame people for having feelings. That's the first step. Of course there's a balance to it. It's important not to get weighed down my emotions or allow ourselves to be controlled by them either because that's just as unhealthy. We should make it a priority to introspect so we can understand what our emotions mean and to understand that they are there for a reason. They signal a message and it's up to the person to unravel what that message is but it's always something important. Whether you're angry because one of your boundaries was has been crossed or something else.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

Generally I have two sides to ddealing with them: either I let myself dwell in them and make them worse, or I avoid them.
Atm, I am feeling hurt and sad, and I am trying to avoid them but I get confronted with my reasons for them practically every hour of the day. So in fact I am dwelling in them.

They should share the emotions, and comfort each other. Dealing with something together is better than dealing with it on your own. Even when you're an introvert!

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
Vent to someone who's understanding, cuddle with someone or just pillows and fuzzy blankets, pray, try to cheer myself up with music I like, have a cup of tea, eat chocolate or other favorite treat, read or watch something happy, daydream about happy moments in stories, get out the negative energy with some kind of vigorous activity, clean things, do stuff I don't like doing because since I'm already in a bad mood I might as well just get it over with and then the sense of accomplishment kind of helps me feel less bad, sleep. I don't think of these things necessarily as distraction or ignoring the feeling, but as trying to counterbalance it with something good so that I don't just get overwhelmed by negatives and loose my motivation and creativity and hope which I may need to fix the problem behind the feeling.

If there is another person involved in why I feel the way I do, thinking about how they might feel and their perspective and forgiving them can definitely help as well.

I see dealing with the emotion as kind of a separate thing to dealing with the problem. Often I can think better about the problem or take action better, once I have treated the feeling. It makes a huge difference when someone provides comfort and lets me know I'm not crazy for feeling how I do and that I'm still loved. Someone just telling me ideas of how to solve it without giving any comfort usually just makes me feel worse (particularly because they are often not offering new or do-able suggestions).

Compassionately. It shouldn't encourage negative emotions, but it shouldn't just forbid expression of them either.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts

Immediate reaction is to lose my breath and go inward/isolate from my immediate surroundings. Exist in a state of shock and breathlessness for a minute. Brain is working hard to process what's happening (Fi is fucking slow).
Once processed a little bit (but never completely cause that takes a lot of introverting in my own room and there's no time for that shit):
Pain and Hurt--> Pretend I'm okay if there's ppl in my presence. If I'm alone, I curl into a ball and hug myself and talk to myself, try to understand what's happening. Also take out my journal and start dissecting what happened and dissecting my own self/my reaction.
Fear--> Avoid avoid avoid.
Disappointment---> In public, smile and pretend. Privately, feel like shit and cry and write in my journal to process.
Sadness ---> Same as disappointment.
Depression---> Write in my journal, remember all the times I got myself out of the hole, and actively get my ass out of the hole.
Anger --> In public with strangers, pretend I feel great. With my loved ones, scream at them. When alone, punch inanimate objects and put on my workout clothes and go lift some weights and punch some stuff.

I deal with everything by journaling. I write pages upon pages, thirty a day, letting it all out, organizing my thoughts, and having spiritual downloads.

I have no idea. Not like japanese culture, that's for sure. Emotions need to get channeled somehow, not stay within. That's why I always prefer that my friends and family throw a fit of anger, because I think "Well this is unpleasant to witness, but at least they're not going to have stuff rotting inside".
Creating art, music, writing, etc is excellent, everybody should do one of those to channel stuff. And if they don't want to, they should at least record themselves on video venting, and then watching their vent and see themselves and reach their own epiphanies. Or maybe ppl should walk around with a voice recorder in case they need to vent something, they can do that without subjecting another human to their madness lol. I don't know what's best for people, really, I only know what's best for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts