Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow INFP's (my people hahaha) :laughing:

I just wanted to ask, do you ever feel like some of your private thoughts, perceptions, ideals and things that are important to you in your life - differ from the majority? And with those feelings, do you feel like you might not belong in this world and you occasionally feel insecure about how different you appear to bel? You know that ''
maybe I'm weird but I'm trying to accept myself'' feelings?

I've had those a couple of times.

Feel free to talk about your feelings :happy:

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Yes I've felt that way my whole life. I used to get down about it a lot, but realized later that everyone is different and has their odd little thoughts that some may not understand. Just own it!

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha how do I deal with that voice in my head that says,''you're so weird, you don't belong in this planet'' :frustrating:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I love being eccentric, it's all I know :laughing:
Just tell yourself that it's who you are, once you keep telling yourself that eventually you just have to accept it and thrive with it because eventually we all die and you wouldn't want to waste your life wishing you fit in more when you were born to stand out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Haha how do I deal with that voice in my head that says,''you're so weird, you don't belong in this planet'' :frustrating:
My sister once told me that i was an alien soul reincarnated on this planet, and that i came here because this planet needed someone gentle like me. I don't think I really believe in reincarnation, but I've always liked the metaphor aspect of what she told me. It seemed to fit me perfectly. I think hearing that made me start to appreciate my "weirdness" and disconnection with this planet a little bit and begin to see some of my INFP-ness as a gift.

That said, most of the time i wish i could fit in and feel like i belong, but at least there are now times when i appreciate the fact that I'm kind of different and a bit strange.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Your unique perspective and sense of humor are probably refreshing for a lot people. :) And you know how "normal" people can have this way of doing things that offend you? Be glad you're weird and didn't turn out like that. :p

·
Registered
112 Posts
mm, i was always the odd one out. it used to bug me back in school, but there's lots of stuff wrong with the environment at schools that will set a person off. these days i'm absolutely delighted that i can see through what seems to have most of the world trapped and numbed.

everybody's crazy in some way or another, but i really like our particular flavor of insane :laughing:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I always feel like a wierdo and no one seems to understand why I do the things I do...but I figured it out! As long as you look sexy, it doesnt matter haha I had a hard time fitting in when i was younger, and felt like it was wrong to dress like everyone else (cuz thats boooring!) so yeah i looked a little wierd too. Oh yeah, and guys barely looked at me and i was insecure. But now I know how to present myself in an attractive way while still being me. As for my personality... Every boyfriend ive had said they thought my quirkiness eas adorable and fun, so I guess thats a good thing :) (but i still feel different from everyone...)

·
Registered
820 Posts
I feel like that all the time. But it doesn't bother me. Whenever I start to go to the "I don't belong in this world" mood, I actually get up, go out and do something concrete and productive: something that actually leaves a mark in this world. Then I can feel again that maybe, despite being so horribly different, I still have a place in this world.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yup. And the worst part is I feel like I'll never be able to find that one person because I can't find someone who really understands me... I'm trying to get over it, but failing.

Reactions: rhogue

·
Registered
135 Posts
It shouldn't surprise anyone that I had a hard time figuring myself out as well. But I've learned to embrace my way of percerving the world, because to me(and lot's of other people as well, apperently xD) it's better to stand out and be unique, than it is to be normal^^ It's always those who do something meaningfull in the world.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I swear to god PerC is sometimes the last bastion to where I find resemblance to the human race. I put way too much pressure on myself in doubting and underestimating my abilities, especially in giving up too easily (though I don't consider myself a quitter). It's not that I am an exceptionally skilled or a dimwit in what I know and can do, it's that for every point that I can attribute to myself I know and have seen that there is always someone else in the world or in the vicinity who has that much more of an edge that what I can achieve. Being that guy doesn't help either especially factoring in the mentality that I would rather blend into the background to watch the scene unfold than participate. Couple that with an awkward social navigation and the blunders of forgetting the finer details of social exchange and it's pretty cumbersome to even put myself out there to be judged or make something of myself. That being said there are moments where I feel that overwhelming feeling of peace in feeling everything is in it's proper place, and I know some of you out there know what I am talking about but it has always been a fleeting sort of emotion and never sticks around long enough to make use, besides being as a sort of marker on how I can guesstimate my position in life.

The happenstance of now is roughly the same as it has been for a while now and it's discouraging. Minimum wage is a burden, I don't see the necessity of a college education unless it follows through with an industry which is ripe for employment, and atm I don't see the requisite in having any friends as it's always been a battle of sorts in keeping my frustrating insecurity in check when there is no reason to question when such a boon has been given in the form of trusted persons and the joy of acting freely without fear of apprehensive judgment.

Sometimes it feels like for every step I take in the proper direction, two steps are are retracted, so the more I push to gain ground I end up losing in the long run. SO FRUSTRATING!!! But I hang in there. I've dropped several bad habits through the years so I'm not necessarily on a destructive path anymore. Honestly sometimes I think my life would be better off if I were just a sociable extrovert; social networking, the charisma in seeing things done, etc., introversion imo is more of a handicap given my track record and inability to assimilate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I constantly feel that way. It's especially hard during conversations with people as I *always* feel like I am saying the wrong thing. Couple that with what I have been told is my ever-present "thousand-yard-stare" and I just want to put a cowl over my face and go in a corner. People seem to be naturally intimidated by me. That's funny because I'm a runner and consequently very lean, so my physique is not imposing. Sadly I have not found a way to defeat this, but I try to work around it. The short story is that you are not alone!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm weird and no one will ever fully understand me, because everyone in the world is a narcissist, including me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with so much that's being said, and that's very rare for me so it warms my heart :). *sigh...*

All I can say is I have no idea what people want from me. I give a little, I give none, I give a lot, and it never seems to make a difference. I just don't "fit" with what other people want from me or how they want me to be. Consequentially I rarely find any solid companions, and even my closest friends have drifted away. I don't seem to fit in the world and people are always puzzled and upset that they don't have the answer for me. I guess I'm seeking people who have the same problem, and I've found them. In a way at least.. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was the odd one out when it came to explaining things in speech in both high school and college... or was it simply the fact that I was interested in the courses I was taking, and half of the class were not...? Actually as I got towards the end of my college degree, this was less than a problem, and my imagination opened up debate in many positive ways.

That aside, there was one really odd moment on one of the last days of my high school senior year back in 2001. I was holding a Roxio Rio CD-MP3 player which had an LCD screen large enough to display the song title, album and artist all on the screen, and it could scroll.

A classmate (not a friend) asked me what that CD player was all about, and I told him, it was just a cd player... but it could play mp3s, and each disk could hold up to 150 to 250 songs.

His response: Wow, that's cool... wait... 250 songs? How the hell do you find the one you want? That's crazy.

My reply.. first I internalized it, because really- You could navigate the Rio just as you would folders on a computer... and that was second nature to me, so was the Rio.

Then I was blunt. MP3 were out in 64MB, 128MB, 256MB... I probably had already imagined this previously so I said it right there and then...
"It's only a matter of time until they make pocket MP3 players that hold 1, 2, 4 gigabytes or more of music..."

His response- You're Crazy! No one would use that, how would they navigate 650MB let alone 4GB?!

...I am crazy, and I love my ipod too!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, I actually experienced that a lot. When teachers in school asked me what my opinion was on things like controversial issues my answer was very different from all the other students, always adding strange thoughts in afterwards. A lot of people commented on how odd my notions are and after that I felt different, like I was some untied shoelace in the midst of tightly tied shoelaces. I cared about the things that others didn't and didn't care about things that others say I should of cared about. Soon I decided that I would only tell people about my 'strange' ideas, concepts and conspiracies when they are simply curious and interested. This although does make a lot of INFPs distanced from the regular society, including me. But sometimes the price of alone is good because you know why you are alone, you chose to be that one untied shoelace jangling about wildly when walking, instead of the boring standard tied shoelaces.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts