Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this trait be considered "normal" of a INFJ?

I have always felt this way for some strange reason, even as a child. When I am in a group of say around 4-7 people (Usually an uncomfortable thing for me to be in to begin with haha) and someone within the group was embarrassing themselves and either doesn't notice, or doesn't care... I feel soo embarrassed for them, to the point of discomfort. My instinct initially is to get away from the situation, even though it has completely nothing to do with me lol. I'm not really sure if its due to their lack of respect, or lack of realizing they are embarrassing themselves.

Does this happen with any of you guys?
:blushed:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can't think of any particular situations, but yes. I feel embarrassed for others at times.

Oh, got one. My little brother. He's been homeschooled his whole life and has basically learned his social skills from my best friend and me - not a good thing. I'm quiet and shy, sometimes I force myself to be goofy to make people laugh. My friend is basically just a say whatever, do whatever type. I think he comes across as too pushy at times, too affectionate sometimes, and it seems/feels like people get uncomfortable around him if they don't know him very well. I always feel very embarrassed for him because he doesn't seem to realize the feelings arising in the people around him, and so I try to draw attention to myself to give him/the other person or people a breather. -Sigh- I don't like doing it because then I'm in the spotlight. lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't think of any particular situations, but yes. I feel embarrassed for others at times.

Oh, got one. My little brother. He's been homeschooled his whole life and has basically learned his social skills from my best friend and me - not a good thing. I'm quiet and shy, sometimes I force myself to be goofy to make people laugh. My friend is basically just a say whatever, do whatever type. I think he comes across as too pushy at times, too affectionate sometimes, and it seems/feels like people get uncomfortable around him if they don't know him very well. I always feel very embarrassed for him because he doesn't seem to realize the feelings arising in the people around him, and so I try to draw attention to myself to give him/the other person or people a breather. -Sigh- I don't like doing it because then I'm in the spotlight. lol.
I haven't ever tried to take the spotlight, maybe that could be a mild solution. I probably wouldn't have the courage, but its a nice thing to have in my head as a back up haha!

All the time.

With everyone I know.

Every day.

If I can't get away then I try to divert to something else. It's an awful, desperate feeling. And then I feel weird and shallow for some reason.
I too feel very shallow. This seems to happen in either 2 different ways for me. I want to bolt which usually happens in situations that I don't know the person well enough to do anything for them, or I want to defend/protect/teach the person that soon might be a victim of teasing.

*sigh* Its very uncomfortable. I also have a problem with getting embarrassed of myself, of course, but re playing the words or images of what I did over and over again. Painful on the mental state usually.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sometimes I get so embarrassed for other people that I start to cry! My eyes just start watering as I imagine the pain that embarrassment must be causing the person or of what mean thoughts other people might be thinking. It makes me either want to leave the situation immediately or protect and comfort the person depending on the situation. It's weird that I start crying over someone else's embarrassment and yet I rarely cry in any other instances.

I never feel shallow for doing this unless the person doesn't realize they're doing anything wrong. Also if I'm embarrassed for something they can't help, such as a disfigurement, I feel absolutely horrible and ashamed.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
YES. Haha, I feel like this frequently. I used to tell it to my friend and he'd get annoyed. "I'm embarrassed for you." Haha, it was like an insult to him. Then he started saying it to me and I just laughed. I think a lot of people feel embarrassed for others though in general. I feel embarrassed all the time for the dumbest things that no one cares about.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Agh, the shame! That complete stranger just fell flat on her face in the street! I want to go hide under a rock...

I'm not quite so extreme, but I do believe this force we call empathy (and sensitivity) is strong with me. I feel embarrassed for my classmates fumbling in their presentations almost as if I were the one humiliating myself in front of everyone. Also, if I see people getting tickled, I hug my ribs to protect myself (I'm ridiculously ticklish).

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
I've even been embarrassed for characters in movies and shows. I can watch violence etc and not care a bit, but I cringe when someone's in an embarrassing situation. I'll be thinking to myself, "Hurry up and get to the next part!"

I guess I've always known that I do this, but I never really "thought" about it. I'm realizing a lot about myself since I started reading the INFJ threads.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, I sometimes laugh at people's bad jokes because I feel sorry for them making such a bad joke. Or if someone tries to speak in a group and is ignored, I'll try to direct my attention to that person. I just imagine they must feel terrible if I don't do this.

Reactions: Surstarky

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I've even been embarrassed for characters in movies and shows. I can watch violence etc and not care a bit, but I cringe when someone's in an embarrassing situation. I'll be thinking to myself, "Hurry up and get to the next part!"

I guess I've always known that I do this, but I never really "thought" about it. I'm realizing a lot about myself since I started reading the INFJ threads.
Captain, I thought you were an ENTP.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes! This happens to me all the time!

I've also noticed that I've had a habit of "bringing myself down to the level of the person embarrassing themself". For example, a while back a coworker fell flat on his face when we were walking outside (it was very slippery that day). I felt so embarrassed for him! So I instantly said "It's an awful weather, you know I fell flat on my face too this morning, on my way to the bus stop!" even though that never happened to me at all...

In fact, I always try to do that whenever possible, to make the embarrassed person feel better... Whatever way in which they embarrass themselves, I'll say something like "Oh that happened to me too once", "You know it's not that big of a deal, stuff like that happens to everyone!"....

ED// Oh and once me and my ENTJ bf were watching figure skating championships from the tv, just for fun. And there was this one girl who kept falling down. She seriously fell down like 7 times! I remember chanting "PLEASE NAIL THIS ONE" :blushed: on every jump while my bf was laughing his ass off hoping she'd fall again. :laughing:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too can't watch certain things on tv... not only due to people embarrassing themselves, sexual acts also. Makes me soo uncomfortable when I have to be around people and see sexual things go on..

My ISTP boyfriend, bless him, doesn't have an ounce of intuition when it comes to reading moods & sensing displeasure. Especially around people that he REALLY shouldn't make such a fool of himself around... I get so embarrassed and frustrated sometimes.

I hate hate hate seeing people do something physically embarrassing (ie falling over/clumsiness) I just cringe for them, especially if people are around mocking them.. *sigh*

I also become embarrassed if someone new is around me and I am subjecting them to things that I enjoy such as music. Personally I hate watching/listening to something around a new person without KNOWing they are perfectly comfortable with my choices. This feeling usually concludes to me making them make selections. (Do they hate this music? Do they think Im an idiot for even watching something like this? The mental terrorist in my mind takes over at that point haha)

I just wonder if this is something to do with NF? I know that everyone feels this sort of feeling at least once in their life, but to the extent that some of us feel it on a daily basis?

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I did too. I use Ne a lot and I guess it was throwing me off.
Did you verify your type? INFJs are Ni-doms, ENTPs are Ne-doms. I'm surprised you jumped from ENTP to INFJ. They have very different cognitive functions.

I suggest you read this and carefully analyze it which is the type that fits most.

Portrait of an ENTP
Portrait of an INFJ

And at the bottom of those pages, you should read the Career, Relationship, and Personal Growth buttons.
It will give you a deeper insight to a type, not just a stereotypical 4-letter MBTI, and cognitive functions.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Did you verify your type? INFJs are Ni-doms, ENTPs are Ne-doms. I'm surprised you jumped from ENTP to INFJ. They have very different cognitive functions.

I suggest you read this and carefully analyze it which is the type that fits most.

Portrait of an ENTP
Portrait of an INFJ

And at the bottom of those pages, you should read the Career, Relationship, and Personal Growth buttons.
It will give you a deeper insight to a type, not just a stereotypical 4-letter MBTI, and cognitive functions.
Thanks, I have. I use Ne, Ni, Fe, Ti, and Se quite well. ENTP never felt quite right, but I didn't realize I was using Ni as well as Ne at the time. That's why I could never understand the difference between Ne and Ni. The kicker was some info I received from two INFJs, such as a discription of INFJ childhood. It wase exactly.

I know the two types are very different, but as a 7w8 who uses Ne, ENTP seemed like the right choice at first. I understand now that I use Ni all the time, and Ne in certain situations.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I do this a lot, even TV shows that have an awkward scene, I just squirm. Odd thing is, I am very hard to personally embarrass in real life.

But see someone embarrassing themselves? I feel it hard. I often wanna jump in to the rescue to help them but my timidity usually overrides that notion.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I feel embarrassed on behalf of people all the time, even if they're not embarrassed and no one seems offended or annoyed. I imagine being in their position and remember how sensitive I am.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Thanks, I have. I use Ne, Ni, Fe, Ti, and Se quite well. ENTP never felt quite right, but I didn't realize I was using Ni as well as Ne at the time. That's why I could never understand the difference between Ne and Ni. The kicker was some info I received from two INFJs, such as a discription of INFJ childhood. It wase exactly.

I know the two types are very different, but as a 7w8 who uses Ne, ENTP seemed like the right choice at first. I understand now that I use Ni all the time, and Ne in certain situations.
OK. All this time you thought you were ENTP :p. Yeah by looking at a type's childhood, you'd know. And some article regarding XXXX as as a parent, as a child, as a lover, as a friend, you'd know if the characteristics fit you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts