Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you might already be aware, I work in a call centre. I am a tech support agent for Apple. Every day, I deal with peoples' computer problems, and do my best to fix them

This is my break right now. My last call before break was an issue where it seemed like there would only be bad news. Out of nowhere, I had a flash of insight and ended up turning the situation for the best

The customer was a girl (sounded a bit younger than me) and she was excited that we were able to fix her problem. Her voice lit up with enthusiasm as we ended the call

This is the part I enjoy the most about my job. I like it when this happens. I'd like to say it's more than just because they're showering me with praise, but I don't know for sure

This feeling I have is rare. I can only describe it as "good". It's like I'm somewhat excited, but at the same time the only thing I can do to express it is smile. And I'll smile without even noticing I'm doing so

But at the same time I'm scornful, hateful, and discriminatory of people. I loathe 99% of mankind. I think I like helping people because I can then 'feel' their happiness. I don't really know if I'm feeling 'happy' as well, but it's a feeling that I don't get very often

So, question. Do you get this feeling? How do you trigger it?

Btw, anyone who jumps in here and pollutes my thread with toilet humor will face my textual wrath :/

[/Launching topic in 3... 2... 1... ]

·
Banned
89 Posts
What did the toilet say to the other toilet?
You look flushed

I'm sorry I couldn't resist:p Toilet humor...

I'm pretty sure I know exactly what feeling you are talking about. Yes, I get that feeling when I help someone. I really love giving gifts but not like how most people do on schedule. i like giving gifts that are really well thought out just because and if I can make them feel cared about that makes me really happy. I've learned to lower my expectations of people (from years of being a grump who was continually disappointed in the human race) so whenever someone thinks of me or does something considerate, no matter how small, it makes me feel "good".

But at the same time I'm scornful, hateful, and discriminatory of people. I loathe 99% of mankind. I think I like helping people because I can then 'feel' their happiness. I don't really know if I'm feeling 'happy' as well, but it's a feeling that I don't get very often
]
Yeah, I loathe about 85% of mankind. And you'd think I'd learn my lesson. But there is this part of me that always has to see the good in people no matter how many times I've been burned. More and more I start seeing the dumb majority of people as children that just don't know any better. I think this helps me not hate them as much. That's an elitist view, I know, but whatever gets you through the day, right?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I loathe about 85% of mankind. And you'd think I'd learn my lesson. But there is this part of me that always has to see the good in people no matter how many times I've been burned. More and more I start seeing the dumb majority of people as children that just don't know any better. I think this helps me not hate them as much. That's an elitist view, I know, but whatever gets you through the day, right?
I think the discretion combined with seeing the good in people is not necessarily a bad thing. Then again, my opinion may be subject to bias considering my previous statement

This way though, I feel as if we are helping those who deserve it

I am drawn toward those who are pure of heart. In my own way I try to guide each of them to a better future

Unfortunately, because of my preference for intellectuals (I can't stand people who are less intelligent than I am*), sometimes some people I don't consider "worth it" get left behind

*Irrational, I know. Lack of competence makes me feel like I'll get depended on for everything, or vice versa-- they'll simply misunderstand me and resort to primitive acts of territorial rage. I can't help this. As some sort of consolation for this, I don't hate them outright-- I try my best to tolerate them for as long as I have to (and nary a second longer)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the discretion combined with seeing the good in people is not necessarily a bad thing. Then again, my opinion may be subject to bias considering my previous statement

This way though, I feel as if we are helping those who deserve it

I am drawn toward those who are pure of heart. In my own way I try to guide each of them to a better future

Unfortunately, because of my preference for intellectuals (I can't stand people who are less intelligent than I am*), sometimes some people I don't consider "worth it" get left behind

*Irrational, I know. Lack of competence makes me feel like I'll get depended on for everything, or vice versa-- they'll simply misunderstand me and resort to primitive acts of territorial rage. I can't help this. As some sort of consolation for this, I don't hate them outright-- I try my best to tolerate them for as long as I have to (and nary a second longer)
I tend to be disappointed with the majority of humanity. However I'm very open minded and I know this is just not knowing better and sometimes ignorance.
I love smart people and people I agree with in terms of viewpoints. I seem to be annoyed a lot by ignorance but I keep an open mind and feel sorry for them.

I really want to change humanity, I feel sorry for them and want to progress.

Reactions: Zomboy

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to change mankind too

But now I think I'll just "infect" a select few and let them carry on my influence... ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wanted to change mankind too

But now I think I'll just "infect" a select few and let them carry on my influence... ;)
I envy fame not for personal gain but for philanthropy and activism (mostly the latter). So it the end it is selfish, but I want to do achieve my goals not own some fancy cars and a private jet (as much as I want them...)

I think I can do a lot, I'm still in high school and writing could get me somewhere throughout academia.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've written up a cartoon series with so much depth and action it will be aired late and need to have hour-long episodes

Shoot for the stars, man. Even if you don't make it entirely, you never know how close you'll get

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I dunno how you do it. Helping people with computers through a phone is the most painful of all customer service; especially if the person on the other end is a computer dunst (makes it that much more unbearable).

Oh man, I dunno if I've felt like that before! I think maybe a couple of times but I'm having such a hard time remembering. It happens more with family I think. Especially when I help my mom with a problem, she usually has her moments of extreme joy when I fix something and that's when I respond with an 'okaaayy mom, you're welcome'.

I should probably enjoy the moments a little more than I allow myself haha.

Edit: Are you pretty good with Apple computers? Because I could use your help on some technical aspects.... like setting up multiple PHP versions on snow leopard so I switch between them for coding things with backward compatibility? :happy:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dunno how you do it.
Neither do I

Edit: Are you pretty good with Apple computers? Because I could use your help on some technical aspects.... like setting up multiple PHP versions on snow leopard so I switch between them for coding things with backward compatibility? :happy:
Please see above

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have this feeling of 'good' almost all the time. It may be because I loathe only 0,01% of mankind (and that is because those persons wanted me to). Or because I tend to take into account only the helpful reactions of others and ignore the other ones, like I would know they only act childish and do it because they need to stand out in order to ask for help. After all, it is not my problem if people are dumb or not, it is their choice and I prefer not to get involved and they tend to avoid me (the 'dumb' ones) because I am too 'dumb' for them.
But I don't believe this feeling of 'good' is enough to make me feel good, I just need a little more than that.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I am a tech support agent for Apple. Every day, I deal with peoples' computer problems, and do my best to fix them
Dude, don't go spreading around too much that you work computer tech support for Apple on a forum frequented by artistic geeks. That's like putting a stack of pancakes in front of a hungry lumberjack and saying "I'll be back in a minute. Would you watch this for me?"

:laughing:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts