Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else feel inferior when they compare themselves to others?

For example (but note that it is not limited to this and it happens whenever I compare myself to anyone else), my friend has a significant other. We used to hang out and do everything together, like go for walks, play games, watch TV shows, cook meals, have really nice conversations, and in general, just have a lot of fun together, but when she began dating her SO, she ended up moving away, and ended up moving in with him.

Now, whenever I compare myself to him, I always feel inferior and that I was replaced by this other guy. To me, it seemed like everything that we used to do together, she could do with him and have even more fun than what we had. I feel useless and that he's better than me. I feel like I've been replaced. (She assures me that this isn't true and we still talk quite a bit, but I still feel that way sometimes...)

Again, this is just one situation (though probably the one that I can best explain). It happens whenever I compare myself to anybody. Even with my best friend and other close friends around me, and even people I don't really know.

Now my friend is feeling the same way (with a somewhat similar circumstance as above (another reason for that example), but in general as well whenever she compares herself with anybody).

Does anybody else ever feel this way? What causes it? And what can we/I do to help?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Sometimes we are inferior to others. In abilities, in talent, in intellectual capacities, in looks and in a myriad of other ways too.

But it means those things...it does not mean we are intrinsically worth less than another individual. I have a number of abilities that could be considered 'superior' to a lot of people, mostly in athe areas of language skills and music....but do I feel I am a better more worthy person than another human being - NO......just a more experienced guitarist!.....until the day I meet Eric Clapton and realise how rubbish I am...it's all relative.

Honestly, do you have a sneaking romantic attachment to this friend? If you do it's time to let that go.....her future is with her SO, and the fact she is with him means it unlikely it will ever happen with you......tough, but there it is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a romantic attachment. I just miss hanging out with my friend. We went from hanging out almost 24/7 to next to nothing (we have the Skype chats when we have time and we text each other still). It was somewhat of a shock to the system. (This also happened quite a bit ago, so it's not really a current issue. Just the example I chose to use. :p)

Logically, I know that there are some ways that I'm 'superior' to others, even if it doesn't feel that way sometimes. It makes me feel better knowing that my friends need me or rely on me for something that they can't get elsewhere. My mind just can't help but imagine ways that people are better than me. =/

And I do know that everybody has different strengths and weaknesses. It's part of life. I wouldn't like it if everyone was the same. :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts