Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Joined
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an introvert I 've always had this tendency to be in my world rather than talking to people. However, if people come to ask me something I'll answer, but I'll not be the one asking practically never. If you don't come to me I don't have anything to talk to you. And I feel that being that way makes me... Invisible.

I like being discreet but today I realized I'm more discreet than I thought I was.

Also there's a guy I like but he's too extrovert and I don't feel like I'm brave enough to get near. It wouldn't be the way I really am.

I don't like being the centre of attention, neither a ghost.

What do you think about being invisible? Is it something related with being an INFJ?
 

Registered
Joined
357 Posts
I think I tend to prefer two extremes. I find myself either wanting to be invisible/anonymous to 99% of the people around me, or best friends / soul mates with the other 1%. I don't have much use for anything in between.

The problem I have is that I often feel invisible/anonymous to the 1%...
 

Registered
Joined
5,245 Posts
Hmm, 'invisible'... I sometimes wonder if we all (as people) adopt roles or personas to avoid being truly seen or if we only present what we think others can identify with on some level.
The question of self identity versus what we present is a big question for me still, with parts of me wishing to just listen, openly discuss emotions and find common goals yet in the face of capitalism and unspoken competition so much of life and personality becomes fragmented and compartmentalised out of necessity.
 

Banned
Joined
2,318 Posts
I don't like to be clearly visible but I don't like to be invisible either. Usually I'll project a "back office man" kind of attitude, the kind that does all the work for none of the glory. This way the ones that can figure me out will be welcome, the ones that will see me invisible will be phased out, simple filtering mechanism.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Feather Yewfrost

Registered
Joined
1,120 Posts
What do you think about being invisible? Is it something related with being an INFJ?
Sure, Feather, it may well relate to being INFJ. You can become so absorbed in your thinking, your world, that you, in effect, are not there. And, your introverted intuition plays right along.

If this happens at a family party with friends, you may be sitting in a quiet room with someone looking all over for you ("Where's Feather?") and not be found even though your room gets checked and you are openly sitting in a chair plain as day. Funny when you snap out of it and rejoin the party and everyone asks where've you been?!

I've done it a couple of times by accident. Just no way anyone could have looked in and not seen me, if I were visable.

So, yes; you can become invisable. And, yes, it makes sense that being INFJ helps.
 

Registered
Joined
1,962 Posts
I don't like attracting attention to myself, and I don't like accepting compliments. I also can't recall any instance of specific ladder-climbing goals to get ahead in life (so I don't have any squeaky wheel getting the grease).

With these three things alone setting me off into the background, I can see how I've managed to slip below the radar for most of my life.

It is still a bit unsettling, though, to be in a room with 40 other people and feel as though I am either all alone, or, like you said, invisible.
70% of the time, this works into my routine very well, but the remainder makes me feel as though I'm stuck on the outside of all of the human interaction that everyone else seems to be a natural at.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top