Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I feel like a alien and think others see me that way too. I try to hide my it. A lot of it came from my Sensing family who was clueless about my boundaries, and I am clueless about a lot of common sense things. Is feeling like an alien an INFP thing? or am I alone in this? is there a cure?

·
Registered
287 Posts
You should read through the "You may be an INFP if..." thread. It is stickied up at the top. If you see yourself in any of the examples then you are not alone.

As for a cure, you can train yourself to be whatever you want people to think you are. So it is hard to do, but yes... but do you really want it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for a cure, you can train yourself to be whatever you want people to think you are. So it is hard to do, but yes... but do you really want it?
I want to be accepted for who i am, not for a false image i've created. But the truth can be overwhelming, like Emily Dickinson said:

Tell all the truth but tell it slant,
Success in circuit lies,
Too bright for our infirm delight
The truth's superb surprise;

As lightning to the children eased
With explanation kind,
The truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've felt that way often. I think a way to change it is to be with people who understand and accept you. For me, I think it's a complete waste of time to try to be understood or to fit in with "normal" people. It just never happens. They don't relate to me and I don't relate to them.

Acting as if I'm like them is a lot more trouble than it's worth, and I doubt I'd fool anybody anyway. Even if I did, what's the reward for that? Having people accept a "person" who's not even really me?

I think we are who we are and it's best to come to terms with it. "Normal" people will never accept me as one of their kind, but they may accept me as an eccentric who nevertheless has a place in society. But I think that only happens when I don't try to hide who I am.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sometimes I feel like a alien and think others see me that way too. I try to hide my it. A lot of it came from my Sensing family who was clueless about my boundaries, and I am clueless about a lot of common sense things. Is feeling like an alien an INFP thing? or am I alone in this? is there a cure?
This is more of an Enneagram Type Four thing than an INFP thing. Yes, I do feel that way.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I've felt that way my entire life, and although the feeling of being an outsider has never really faded, I think I've finally come to terms with my "alien-ness"... for the most part anyway. (; I'm sure you will too in time. I'm simply a different kind of person than most-- as I'm sure you are too-- but that doesn't mean we don't belong. My thoughts, feelings, ideas, and opinions very rarely match up to the norm or anyone else close to me for that matter, which can be a bit lonely at times, but I'm just so used to it by now it doesn't phase me much to be different. I am what I am, and so are you. Constantly trying to fit into someone else's mold is a waste of time that will only bring you down and make you feel inferior-- which I can assure you, you are not. It's all about excepting who you are and realizing that no matter how different you feel-- you are still just as valid as they are. In fact, maybe it's them who are the aliens! Once you show people that you're confident in who you are, they'll have no choice but to either except you for who you are or walk away. Either way, at least you'll know who your true friends are. Be true to yourself, and the rest will fall into place. :)

**By the way, sorry if I sound like an after school special. lol I still struggling to follow my own advice. Daily. lol

Reactions: niki
1 - 6 of 6 Posts