Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would consider myself a typical INFJ, not only due to my test results, yet the results gave me a clearer understanding of some personality traits that I couldnt understand or accept in the past. So, I would like to know about similar struggles from fellow INFJs and how you deal with them! The most obvious one of mine is that I fullblown overthink everything up to the point where I enter the "paralized-zone" not being able to do much anymore for days or even weeks. I moved back to my small hometown about a year ago after living in a major city on a different continent, and I never wanted to return here, but had to. Most friends have moved on, me trying to make new ones, feeling trapped here due to a different, conservative mentality and having to adapt to fit in. Having good, hopeful days and then really bad ones being deeply in my thoughts, overhinking and withdrawing as not even the hobbies done by most here match my former way of living whatsoever. Even though I am grateful for the new people I ve met, I dont ever feel understood by anybody with my deep thoughts and interests for example in self-development and the regular small talk just drives me crazy, so I feel very alone right now. On top of that I am the great listener and empath that is always strong for everyone, because I know I can and thats what I do, yet most people are not like that and only listen for a short period of time before being distracted and I ve just had it. I started withdrawing and rejecting hangouts because I just dont feel it anymore, I am not too satisfied with the interactions on a deeper level and asking myself now if I have to find again new friends to feel satisfied and yes I just pitty myself and I am tired and dont feel like being strong anymore to make a new life for myself. Plus it doesnt help not having a partner on my side for support as I believe anyways that I might not find the perfect guy for me who truly gets me. Feeling hopless and not knowing what to do with myself. Thanks to all of You for listening.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Well, I'm not quite sure how to state this in a way that sounds kind, but I mean it to be kind. I understand what you're saying, but really it comes down to you maybe need to get over yourself a bit? Obviously this was written in a funk, and I want to be empathetic to you because I've been in those funks too. But don't be so stuck on yourself that you think others aren't capable of having "deep thoughts & interests." Everyone has them, it's just finding the people that have the same passions & shared interests that is tricky. Or beyond that & EvEn BeTtEr, people that light a spark & inspire you with their ideas & thoughts. :love: Those are my favorite.

Many friendships are just surface. They are there for companionship. They still have there place & can provide many joys if you adjust your perception of them. Deep connection is rare. If your friendships in town aren't leaving you feeling fullfilled, maybe look online for someone to connect with? That's where I've been able to find people I really enjoy having conversations with. But I'd say don't abandon those friendships just because "they don't get you", they still can provide many benefits. :)

If you are unhappy there, then work hard towards getting out of that town/ back to a setting where you want to be. Make a plan, set a goal for yourself & get at it. Distract yourself with that goal so you don't spend so much time wallowing & over-thinking things. Good luck!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would consider myself a typical INFJ, not only due to my test results, yet the results gave me a clearer understanding of some personality traits that I couldnt understand or accept in the past. So, I would like to know about similar struggles from fellow INFJs and how you deal with them! The most obvious one of mine is that I fullblown overthink everything up to the point where I enter the "paralized-zone" not being able to do much anymore for days or even weeks. I moved back to my small hometown about a year ago after living in a major city on a different continent, and I never wanted to return here, but had to. Most friends have moved on, me trying to make new ones, feeling trapped here due to a different, conservative mentality and having to adapt to fit in. Having good, hopeful days and then really bad ones being deeply in my thoughts, overhinking and withdrawing as not even the hobbies done by most here match my former way of living whatsoever. Even though I am grateful for the new people I ve met, I dont ever feel understood by anybody with my deep thoughts and interests for example in self-development and the regular small talk just drives me crazy, so I feel very alone right now. On top of that I am the great listener and empath that is always strong for everyone, because I know I can and thats what I do, yet most people are not like that and only listen for a short period of time before being distracted and I ve just had it. I started withdrawing and rejecting hangouts because I just dont feel it anymore, I am not too satisfied with the interactions on a deeper level and asking myself now if I have to find again new friends to feel satisfied and yes I just pitty myself and I am tired and dont feel like being strong anymore to make a new life for myself. Plus it doesnt help not having a partner on my side for support as I believe anyways that I might not find the perfect guy for me who truly gets me. Feeling hopless and not knowing what to do with myself. Thanks to all of You for listening.
I see lots of similarities between you and I. Dreamers dream, I care so much about other people and rarely get that favor returned to me. for the last 7 months I lost all motivation to do anything in life (after I was ghosted by my bf of 1.5 years). I had to quit my job because I'd just sit in the restroom and have panic attacks nearly every day from just being there. I would rarely leave my room or my bed, leaving only to get food. I'm just starting to get my motivation back to express myself, and I'll tell you, if you need to take a break, then it's 100% ok to do so. I needed half a year just to understand and try to manage my emotions again. It's ok to not be working on yourself all the time. Give yourself a break. Watch a movie. Don't forget where you want to be, how to improve yourself, but really just take a break. I know it's hard to be single, I found this video a while back and it's really helped me learn to be ok with the idea of being single. There is nothing wrong with you! You are perfect just as you are. Keep believing in yourself and update us soon. Hugs!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts