Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*disclaimer: i don't really know what the purpose of this post is (advice? similar experiences? and?), but i just want to get this off my chest.

I feel burned out. stressed. really numb. desensitized. i feel disconnected from the life as i know it, and i feel incapable of "loving" someone, whether it is a friend or a lover. i feel like in order for me to survive, i need to continue to hold myself back, remain reserved and guarded, but at the same time, i feel like i want to feel. but i feel like i can't. maybe i just need something to cheer me up, like a good comedy. but i dont feel like laughing right now? idk, what do you guys do when you feel this way. i feel numb, but i still know im alive, because i am feeling burned, numb, desensitized, lonely, overwhelmed. logically, these thoughts are coming from nowhere so therefore i must be feeling.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Spending too much time with those ISTJ's! We're rubbing off on you :wink:

Oh and your problem, I have nothing :blushed: I suppose thats why you asked the INFJ forums for this stuff

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spending too much time with those ISTJ's! We're rubbing off on you :wink:

Oh and your problem, I have nothing :blushed: I suppose thats why you asked the INFJ forums for this stuff
i dont know about you guys rubbing off on me. :wink: but your posts always make me smile haha. it reminds me im human

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Glad you shared. Moments like this just ride it out.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Thought of something! I have no good advice for you but your likely to fit into the enneagram type 4 based on this study Enneagram correlation with MBTI Study LINK. The reason I point you towards the enneagram is because it discusses levels of health and may lead you to understand how to fix yourself. You guys are very introspective in exploring yourself as I've read. After the description at this site they speak of health levels: Enneagram Institute Type 4

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol i took the enneagram test before, and i am 1w2. thanks for the link though, i'll check it out. ooh, i just skimmed it before going into reading it and for type 1s, we act as type 4 under stress, interestingggg will be reading this right now!

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
oh and thanks for the compliment, I often feel I'm a little off the wall as I seem to gravitate towards an outspoken mentality.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I would say go get some caffine in you... noraml caffiene. maybe some coffee or something.
it will feel gross, but if you really want to jump start those sensitivities I know caffine will help.

second. after you have consumed the caffine and you start to feel that twitch, go on a run or a walk, and just continue to do so.
don't overburn yourself but let yourself feel a burn.
you have to kind of hit your body to get it to wake up.

this is why people cut. they want to feel something. running is teh healthy option that gives you the same thing... pain. so you can feel again.

I hope this helps.
if you don't try it you can't say it didn't work.
so i would say go for it.
caffine and then walk/run.
music should help too.

hope you feel better soon. I hate feeling all shit out of luck, or rather shit out of feelings.

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
*disclaimer: i don't really know what the purpose of this post is (advice? similar experiences? and?), but i just want to get this off my chest.

I feel burned out. stressed. really numb. desensitized. i feel disconnected from the life as i know it, and i feel incapable of "loving" someone, whether it is a friend or a lover. i feel like in order for me to survive, i need to continue to hold myself back, remain reserved and guarded, but at the same time, i feel like i want to feel. but i feel like i can't. maybe i just need something to cheer me up, like a good comedy. but i dont feel like laughing right now? idk, what do you guys do when you feel this way. i feel numb, but i still know im alive, because i am feeling burned, numb, desensitized, lonely, overwhelmed. logically, these thoughts are coming from nowhere so therefore i must be feeling.
So you're in survival mode, and your natural response is to remain reserved and guarded?.

Perhaps although your natural tendency is to withdraw, that will become a circular feeling of numbness that is further propagated by withdrawing. And the way to break this cycle is to (do what feels uncomfortable) and become connected again; to you and the universe.

A really long walk may help you to get back in your own body (along with meditating and focusing on your own breath). Reaching out to someone you know and love, or volunteering may help you to feel connected to the world.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I get where your coming from. Personally I feel like I'm just living day to day and not really awake; probably what I imagine an animal lives like. I don't know why I'm like this right now though. Do you know whats making you feel like this?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Feelings like this tends to happen to me too. I would sleep to much, still feel tired, and not really do anything useful during the days, or even take care of myself enough. So from my own experience I would suggest three pieces of advice.

- As nova said, get a really long good walk.

- Make sure you eat and sleep properly, not too little, not too much, and at proper times.

- And set up some small goals for your self for the coming days. Nothing difficult, just small things that you know you could easily finish. And limit yourself to one a day. That normally helps me feel that I can still be a normal person, and helps me from sinking further...

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
IDK, but it sounds like stress to me. A little alone time to think things through can be a big help. Developing a plan to control the stress and divest yourself of a few responsibilities might be a good idea. I like the idea of going for a walk, especially if it involves stopping by the duck pond to feed the ducks--I can get in a lot of reflective time feeding the ducks.

OTOH, look at your personal relationships. If you are not pretty well connected to a couple of friends, it can cause similar numb feelings.

FWIW, you have a lot of traits similar to ISTJs.:crazy:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
you are on the INFJ forum! welcome! :tongue:

Yes, it's probably a lot of stress. sigh. I am well-connected to about 3-4 friends whom I regularly have long conversations with. but even lately, i feel detached from those. i feel like i would rather feel overwhelmed with emotions - like sadness, anger, bitterness, than feeling numb and jaded.

And your comment about having a lot of traits similar to ISTJs - i made two posts about this before. one was about how i function as an ISTJ under stress and the other was "am i a stressed out INFJ functioning as an ISTJ or am i a highlystressed out ISTJ functioning as an INFJ?" lol but yes, i think of all the types other than INFJ, i share most amount of traits with ISTJs. i wonder if it is because I am a 1w2 in enneagram? i saw that Type 1s are usually ISXJs so maybe that can explain some things. i think i also have bubbly, extroverted times, where i think i can be more ENFJish. Under stressful times, people i dont know well have told me later they thought i was an entj or estj (school /work people)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i feel like i would rather feel overwhelmed with emotions - like sadness, anger, bitterness, than feeling numb and jaded.
This is common for INFJ's with an high Fe drive . Some times when Fe is overactive we become so accustomed from feelings from others or by others that we over look our own feelings. Not as much as denying our feelings more like surrounded by the stimulus of Fe as to how everybody else is to a degree that we forget our own. When the Fe comes down some we become so accustomed from outer emotions that kinda supports our own feelings. We can feel numb or lost when this happens it's like coming down from a high. Factor this in with stress and all of the built up stress Fe can give you

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Oh yes, I feel this way. This is one of the big reasons why I don't think I can ever have a gf, let alone a wife. Right now, emotionally, I feel pretty dead. I'm not gonig to elaborate, but yes I feel this way too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is common for INFJ's with an high Fe drive . Some times when Fe is overactive we become so accustomed from feelings from others or by others that we over look our own feelings. Not as much as denying our feelings more like surrounded by the stimulus of Fe as to how everybody else is to a degree that we forget our own. When the Fe comes down some we become so accustomed from outer emotions that kinda supports our own feelings. We can feel numb or lost when this happens it's like coming down from a high. Factor this in with stress and all of the built up stress Fe can give you
=) I am so glad I found this post. I've been feeling numb for years. Im numb but it feels more like...I feel like Im capable of feeling so much more than Im feeling.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I feel like that too sometimes that I would never be able to love a person - my history proves me wrong, but sometimes it feels like it is never going to happen again. But then I interact with people and I get feelings again, but sometimes I may be too busy to notice it. The common pattern being that I feel emotionally numb when I am withholding myself form other people, when I am alone thinking to myself, when I am introverting. Then only thing that I can sense working then is my Ni and introverted logic. This logic can be very self-critical at times, also rather cold in comparison to Fe. In fact when I started developing it as a function I went on antidepressants for a while. But when I am connecting with other people then I can feel a range of emotions including love for others - this is Fe, but it needs something outside to be projected towards. I don't feel it if there is nothing on the outside to feel about.

So perhaps you are feeling numb because you are depriving your Fe of its usual targets of choice. Because you said you were hurt by friends in past, most likely you are just cutting it off and falling on Ni-Ti for a while. I think to avoid feeling guarded you just need to somehow make yourself forget about the past and not ruminate on it too much. It will only reinforce holding up the barriers. I am not sure how to speed this up besides just forcing yourself to not think about it. Kind of difficult for INFJs to move on. Trying out some new stuff helps is all advice I can give.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts