Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many INFPs say they seem detached from their body, like it feels awkward or they don't very connected or in touch with it. Si seems to be more about internal sensations, while Se is about how you connect to the physical world (although both are really the same). I can certainly relate to this. I sometimes almost forget I have a body, and sometimes find bodily functions annoying. Also the pain it gives me. Of course most of us enjoy bodily pleasures, like food, sex, or just the feel of the sun on our skin, but it seems INFPs experience their internal world more strongly, or sentimentalise the external world into something else.

Do you also feel clumsy? I feel sort of uncoordinated and clumsy at times, and am often bumping into things, tripping, like I'm not really that aware of my body or don't feel in total control. We're not generally know for a love of playing sports or physical exercise, and I was never a great athlete, but I did used to sort of enjoy playing some sports like football, soccer, cricket. I feel getting in touch with our physical side could probably help with exercise and also keeping us 'grounded.' Finally, I feel I'm not the best at making things...like physical objects, or making food look pretty. Like in woodwork my stool was functional but very crude. Funny though I used to enjoy model-making. I'm better at writing something, composing a tune, and oddly creating something visually beautiful, but I find my technique a bit messy and my coordination not as strong as I'd like sometimes.

I think a lot of us sort of wish we were more disembodied - or feel that way - and sometimes long to be either pure thought/feeling/spirit, or perhaps a more pure sort of body. I'm not dissing the human body, haha, but sometimes it has a crudity to it.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
What I recognize in your story is being clumsy and uncoordinated. Clumsy always, uncoordinated when I am being busy (could either be with an activity or thinking). What happens then is that I am not completely aware of my surroundings and then I am bump into a table or something like that.

However I do not feel detached from my body, quite the contrary actually! I am hyper aware of my body, which might be down to me being a Highly Sensitive Person, and I feel even the slightest discomforts in my body.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I do agree with everything you said. But at the same time I love physical activity and have always been very athletic. I go to the gym 6 days a week but I think I have a different approach then most people. Being that I am aware of the fact that I am not my body, I have a body I feel like I drag my body along to the gym and force it to pick up different amounts of weight and move it in different directions, forces me to ground myself and take control and responsibility for my body.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
Have you ever watched Neon Genesis Evangelion? I always imagined (since I watched the show of course) that our brains are like Eva pilots and our bodies are our evangelion units. So using this analogy I would say that my brain has a very low sync ratio with my body. Sometimes I don't even feel like I exist in reality. I have cut myself and hurt myself accidentally but I sometimes don't even realize it until I'm bleeding or have a bruise or something like that.

Generally I'm completely unaware of my surroundings pretty much at all times. I run into doors, I stub my toes, I will pour myself a drink and promptly get distracted by some other thought and leave my drink in the kitchen (sometimes for the whole day....). I have gotten better over the years, and I do exercise (I go to the gym fairly often) but this is a constant struggle. I know it's a weird one but I can't deny that it's part of me.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yeah, my sensation - skills are not really what you can call: GREAT. But I don't mind, knowing that I have strong intuition in return. :) Why would I give up my ideas for: "feeling my body'' - come on, that's stupid

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm not particularly clumsy. I do this thing, though, where I'm talking and sort of hearing myself and being amazed at the words coming out. It's like I'm waiting to see what I'll say next. Some speech part of my brain is just rambling and I'm not in control of it somehow.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I recognize in your story is being clumsy and uncoordinated. Clumsy always, uncoordinated when I am being busy (could either be with an activity or thinking). What happens then is that I am not completely aware of my surroundings and then I am bump into a table or something like that.

However I do not feel detached from my body, quite the contrary actually! I am hyper aware of my body, which might be down to me being a Highly Sensitive Person, and I feel even the slightest discomforts in my body.
Actually at the same time I'm highly sensitive to stimuli as well, though I don't think it's a contradiction. Maybe the detachment is a natural defense mechanism against that? Like I'm a super-taster, sensitive to touch, sounds, certain colours/vibes.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
Actually at the same time I'm highly sensitive to stimuli as well, though I don't think it's a contradiction. Maybe the detachment is a natural defense mechanism against that? Like I'm a super-taster, sensitive to touch, sounds, certain colours/vibes.
I am not entirely sure about that. Some HSPs, who are a bit more in control, create a barrier between themselves and the environment they are in. (Like a bubble) But I am not sure if they create a barrier between their mind and body. At least it is not how I experience it. I am practicing how I can shut out the environment more, in order to be less overwhelmed in busy environments, but I cannot shut out the signals my body is sending me to my brain.

I also don't think that feeling less aware of your body is a defence mechanism against stimuli. Not that I am an expert on this, but I am not even sure if a HSP has a defence mechanism. Warning signals, yes. Things like headaches, tiredness or muscle tension are signs that a HSP is a over-stimulated. But a defence mechanism? Hmmm. Not sure. Only defence mechanism I know is practicing with meditation and creating your own barrier/bubble against the environments you are in.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I am not entirely sure about that. Some HSPs, who are a bit more in control, create a barrier between themselves and the environment they are in. (Like a bubble) But I am not sure if they create a barrier between their mind and body. At least it is not how I experience it. I am practicing how I can shut out the environment more, in order to be less overwhelmed in busy environments, but I cannot shut out the signals my body is sending me to my brain.

I also don't think that feeling less aware of your body is a defence mechanism against stimuli. Not that I am an expert on this, but I am not even sure if a HSP has a defence mechanism. Warning signals, yes. Things like headaches, tiredness or muscle tension are signs that a HSP is a over-stimulated. But a defence mechanism? Hmmm. Not sure. Only defence mechanism I know is practicing with meditation and creating your own barrier/bubble against the environments you are in.
Im also HSP and agree that you dont necessarily separate your mind from you body.
I find I actually cant separate enough to not get affected by noise/light/crowds etc (I've been almost knocked out by loud noise before).
I generally dont even notice my body much, but then I dont know if anyone else does (cant tell what they feel). I've woken up and thought I wasnt in my own body (I saw my arms and thought they looked completely wrong). I think it varies, so sometimes I wont notice my body and other times I'll really notice its not part of me (Me and a friend had a debate about disassociation and was it okay to let anything happen to your body if it wasnt really part of you).
With coordination, I used to be very bad and still am not amazing, but got better with it, and balance (I used to fall over a lot and now never do), but I'd put this down to strengthening my core muscles and ankles (I had very weak ankles). Practice does make it better as well (I used to get a bit confused what my body was doing in swimming etc, but now I've learnt how to do it and not think about it as much).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Many INFPs say they seem detached from their body, like it feels awkward or they don't very connected or in touch with it. Si seems to be more about internal sensations, while Se is about how you connect to the physical world (although both are really the same). I can certainly relate to this. I sometimes almost forget I have a body, and sometimes find bodily functions annoying. Also the pain it gives me. Of course most of us enjoy bodily pleasures, like food, sex, or just the feel of the sun on our skin, but it seems INFPs experience their internal world more strongly, or sentimentalise the external world into something else.

Do you also feel clumsy? I feel sort of uncoordinated and clumsy at times, and am often bumping into things, tripping, like I'm not really that aware of my body or don't feel in total control. We're not generally know for a love of playing sports or physical exercise, and I was never a great athlete, but I did used to sort of enjoy playing some sports like football, soccer, cricket. I feel getting in touch with our physical side could probably help with exercise and also keeping us 'grounded.' Finally, I feel I'm not the best at making things...like physical objects, or making food look pretty. Like in woodwork my stool was functional but very crude. Funny though I used to enjoy model-making. I'm better at writing something, composing a tune, and oddly creating something visually beautiful, but I find my technique a bit messy and my coordination not as strong as I'd like sometimes.

I think a lot of us sort of wish we were more disembodied - or feel that way - and sometimes long to be either pure thought/feeling/spirit, or perhaps a more pure sort of body. I'm not dissing the human body, haha, but sometimes it has a crudity to it.
Took the words directly from my mouth. I know exactly what you mean, and I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this.

It's normal for me to think about wishing I was some separate entity from my physical body every day. I have a tendency to trip over myself, bump into things, trip over other objects on the floor that I hadn't noticed, due to too much daydreaming. My SO frequently calls me a klutz or clumsy. I just wish I could glide/drift about without having to use any limbs. Like a cloud. Clouds look so very peaceful in how they move. Sure, they can be quite slow, but they make their way, and when they merge with other clouds, they don't jump or stumble about all over the place.

Also, in terms of other sensations, I have found that I am very much detached. Admittedly, I do have an eating disorder, but a lot of the time, I find eating to be a chore and I wish I didn't have to have some external input to ensure my survival. Sex is a major thing as well. It's... overrated. I find more enjoyment dreaming and exploring my internal world. Does that make me selfish? :rolleyes:

I often wish I was a dog or cat or something. I enjoy being human, so I am able to philosophise, but... eh... I just want to drift around the world with ease. I've always wished I could live my own little bubble in this little place where all other great thinkers and philosophers reside. Like... some Greek paradise in the clouds with grand pillars and mosaics etched into the walls and walk ways. :unsure:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well I mean, since for a HSP personal external stimuli can be overwhelming, sometimes after a certain threshold is reached the body sort of shuts down a lot of the processing. For instance, for me, if something is too intense I go sort of numb and get lost in thought. It's just a theory though. I don't think there's that much difference between creating a barrier between the environment and your body and mind and body since we experience the external world through our senses which we process in the brain/mind.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the words directly from my mouth. I know exactly what you mean, and I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this.

It's normal for me to think about wishing I was some separate entity from my physical body every day. I have a tendency to trip over myself, bump into things, trip over other objects on the floor that I hadn't noticed, due to too much daydreaming. My SO frequently calls me a klutz or clumsy. I just wish I could glide/drift about without having to use any limbs. Like a cloud. Clouds look so very peaceful in how they move. Sure, they can be quite slow, but they make their way, and when they merge with other clouds, they don't jump or stumble about all over the place.

Also, in terms of other sensations, I have found that I am very much detached. Admittedly, I do have an eating disorder, but a lot of the time, I find eating to be a chore and I wish I didn't have to have some external input to ensure my survival. Sex is a major thing as well. It's... overrated. I find more enjoyment dreaming and exploring my internal world. Does that make me selfish? :rolleyes:

I often wish I was a dog or cat or something. I enjoy being human, so I am able to philosophise, but... eh... I just want to drift around the world with ease. I've always wished I could live my own little bubble in this little place where all other great thinkers and philosophers reside. Like... some Greek paradise in the clouds with grand pillars and mosaics etched into the walls and walk ways. :unsure:
Yep, too much daydreaming! haha. I think it's good for people like us to be aware of your bodies/our environments so we're more grounded and attached to our environment and as a result the 'moment' or the present. I can indulge in bodily pleasures, and love food. I can sort of relate to the sex thing as well. I mean it can be good, but I find indulging my intellect or 'mental masturbation' as my friend calls it more fulfilling lol.

·
Registered
499 Posts

OMG THIS ENTIRE THING YES.

The thing is, I always knew I was clumsy and detached but never have I been so aware of since starting my current job. Working a fairly fast paced deli with lots of stuff for me to knock into and things for me to forget. My boss is always poking fun at me for doing the spaciest shit imaginable. It even surprises me sometimes. I tried to explain to him once that it's not that I'm not thinking it's that I'm thinking too much. But he didn't really understand what I was getting at. I can't explain to someone that even when I'm walking down the street I'm not in reality at all. Just totally in my head. I can be doing a number of things- talking, working, walking, cleaning, counting, whatever- and I'm not even conscious of reality at all. Even when I am paying attention to my surroundings, I don't really ever feel like I'm there. Every once in a while, I'll just snap into utter presence and freak myself out because I'm "alive." And for a split second I'll want to freak out, because holy crap what is this place?! And then I go back in my head and it's all over.

Anyways, I am glad to be a human in some ways but I also feel like this was a real big mistake. I don't feel myself fitting in anywhere in human land. I'm not very good at a lot of things and I don't really care to be. People call me lay or depressed or misguided but I'm not. Animals and forces of nature don't have to make money and go from here to there or get an education or go shopping or follow rules etc. They don't know failure or success or judgement. They don't know all the boring minutiae of everyday human life. Even if I could just turn off my voice for a little while. Slip into the background of life. The ability to think and use language is both a gift and a curse. I think I would have liked to be born in simpler times in a simpler more profound area of the world. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm so scared about starting work as a barrista because of these reasons^ and along with feeling a sense of detachment to my body, when i do become aware of it,
I feel a very strong revulsion/disgust for it. I see it as something crude and vulgar and not at all me. i often feel trapped in it and i can't get out and it bothers me more than i can say.

·
Registered
302 Posts
OMG THIS ENTIRE THING YES.

The thing is, I always knew I was clumsy and detached but never have I been so aware of since starting my current job. Working a fairly fast paced deli with lots of stuff for me to knock into and things for me to forget. My boss is always poking fun at me for doing the spaciest shit imaginable. It even surprises me sometimes. I tried to explain to him once that it's not that I'm not thinking it's that I'm thinking too much. But he didn't really understand what I was getting at. I can't explain to someone that even when I'm walking down the street I'm not in reality at all. Just totally in my head. I can be doing a number of things- talking, working, walking, cleaning, counting, whatever- and I'm not even conscious of reality at all. Even when I am paying attention to my surroundings, I don't really ever feel like I'm there. Every once in a while, I'll just snap into utter presence and freak myself out because I'm "alive." And for a split second I'll want to freak out, because holy crap what is this place?! And then I go back in my head and it's all over.

Anyways, I am glad to be a human in some ways but I also feel like this was a real big mistake. I don't feel myself fitting in anywhere in human land. I'm not very good at a lot of things and I don't really care to be. People call me lay or depressed or misguided but I'm not. Animals and forces of nature don't have to make money and go from here to there or get an education or go shopping or follow rules etc. They don't know failure or success or judgement. They don't know all the boring minutiae of everyday human life. Even if I could just turn off my voice for a little while. Slip into the background of life. The ability to think and use language is both a gift and a curse. I think I would have liked to be born in simpler times in a simpler more profound area of the world. :rolleyes:
Yes... just absolutely, yes. You sort of just end up operating via autopilot. You aren't aware of much unless you are putting lots of effort into noticing all the details in the external world, but I don't reckon us INFPs have much interest in doing such. Unless we find something aesthetically pleasing, I guess.

In all honesty, my dream world is much stronger than the reality I inhabit. It's difficult to explain, but I remember all of my dreams and where I've been in them. Most of them take place in my home town, so if I go to a particular place that I have been to the night before in my dream, I get extremely strong vibes from the dream I had. Like... I can't perceive the place with regards to reality. Instead, all I can take into account is the atmosphere I experienced in the dream. It's quite unnerving a lot of the time.

Have you ever read into the Cynics? I wish I could have lived in Greece during that time period. Disease may have been rife and our life expectancy wouldn't have been so great, but regardless, I imagine it to be a magical place of simplicity, enlightenment and wisdom.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes... just absolutely, yes. You sort of just end up operating via autopilot. You aren't aware of much unless you are putting lots of effort into noticing all the details in the external world, but I don't reckon us INFPs have much interest in doing such. Unless we find something aesthetically pleasing, I guess.

In all honesty, my dream world is much stronger than the reality I inhabit. It's difficult to explain, but I remember all of my dreams and where I've been in them. Most of them take place in my home town, so if I go to a particular place that I have been to the night before in my dream, I get extremely strong vibes from the dream I had. Like... I can't perceive the place with regards to reality. Instead, all I can take into account is the atmosphere I experienced in the dream. It's quite unnerving a lot of the time.

Have you ever read into the Cynics? I wish I could have lived in Greece during that time period. Disease may have been rife and our life expectancy wouldn't have been so great, but regardless, I imagine it to be a magical place of simplicity, enlightenment and wisdom.
WOAH. I would do anything to be more conscious of my dreams in that way. I can't say I've had a similar experience per say but the several times I've had really vivid dreams they have been the most beautiful awesome emotional experiences. It's funny that I'm mentioning this now because I had one last night where I was swinging on this giant swing attached to nothing in the middle of the ocean. It was kind of rainy and the sky was overcast and the water perfectly still and quiet. There was a large rickety dock with an overhang that kind of stemmed from nowhere. I don't know how to explain it but there was this huge harp contraption built into the dock with really thick strings, and every time I would swing towards the dock I would kind of swing through it and grab several of the strings at once, and every time it would make the most beautiful perfect sounding chords and would echo through the whole ocean. I can only hope that in some other universe or dimension that place exists and I can go back there one day, because I probably never will in this life.

That's another thing I am constantly hoping for, that if some sort of reincarnation or rebirth is possible, I can be re-birthed as sound. To live in vibrations of sound waves for eternity, and just produce beautiful sounds, and mix with other sounds to create even more beautiful powerful emotional melodies. I think that would be the ultimate way to be alive metaphysically.

Anyways, yes I've read a little bit into Cynicism and I really relate to it and wish it didn't get such a bad reputation. I'd like to read into it a lot more and philosophy in general because I've kind of just dabbled in it here and there. Do you recommend anything?

Also I remember I took some really dumb online quiz once about where I'm supposed to end up in life and my result was: "happy homeless." I was like, I hope so!! I'm kind of upset that I'm so accustomed to modern living now, in terms of sleeping in a bed and living in a house and having clothes etc. because I don't really want to care about that stuff but I guess I do.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Yep, too much daydreaming! haha. I think it's good for people like us to be aware of your bodies/our environments so we're more grounded and attached to our environment and as a result the 'moment' or the present. I can indulge in bodily pleasures, and love food. I can sort of relate to the sex thing as well. I mean it can be good, but I find indulging my intellect or 'mental masturbation' as my friend calls it more fulfilling lol.
I have to agree, if my mind is occupied with something I dont need anything else. My body seems to come second (although I do look after it nowadays, whereas I used to completely ignore it). It's like the body is an intermediate for certain stimuli that affect the brain and so 'yourself', and without the body you'd never be able to imagine accurately what sensations were like and so drift away from reality completely (you only stay in the world through your senses I think).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts