Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you ever feel stupid? With that I mean is unintelligent and retarded...

I'm not sure if I actually myself think stupid ever, since I know that despite some d'uh moments I'm still insightful and smart. Well, at least that's how I see myself. I've never understood people who out right think and admit that they're stupid. Like back in high school there was this one girl who was always talking loudly about how dumb she is ("I wouldn't know cuz I'm soo stupid seriously!"). Maybe she was just seeking attention dunno... :rolleyes:

But anyhow I absolutely hate the feeling when sometimes I realize that some other person must think I'm retarded. This happens quite a lot, especially with my boss. Here's a conversation we had today:

Me: "Hey this one woman asked if she was allowed to take pictures of the lobby area for their company brochures..?" (I work as a security guard/receptionist at a business park)
My boss: "Yeah, I think it's alright. Just tell her that the pictures can't include any other people or companies"
Me: "Yeah that's what I thought. Alright I'll tell her."
My boss: "But it's good she asked, she'd need permission from us anyhow."
Me: "Alright. But it's fine if I just inform her, right?"
My boss: "Well that would be giving her permission, wouldn't it now..? :dry::rolleyes:"

Well d'uh. My point was that there's no need for any written documents or anything (This place is really strict on security issues and usually everything needs to be in written word). In fact my boss seems to think that I'm really stupid most of the time. I absolutely hate it...

Also sometimes at my work I daze off while talking to someone and then I'll react slowly to what they're saying. Then I feel like they're looking at me like "Oh boy...She's quite the simpleton isn't she..."

It makes me want to go DUDE I'M REALLY NOT STUPID Q_Q YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE ME.
But obviously that would be pretty weird so I just think that in my head and blush.:blushed:

Does this ever happen to you?

·
Banned
956 Posts
I don't ever feel I'm retarded.. no. But stupid and unintelligent in my choices, yes, a lot when I was younger. It usually had to do with me getting in the way of myself and hitting myself on the head for it, literally and figuratively.

I don't think you should feel a certain way just because you believe people perceive you that way. It is miscommunication and lack of information to make a more well-rounded judgement anyway, as is clear in your post. Don't feel bad about it, just go on with your day. I often laugh to myself when this happens.. like an inside joke. I do feel like I come off ditzy especially too at work because my mind is not concrete which a lot of line of works value(?) But it's like whatever, people don't see the different angles you're getting at and it's a drag to explain.

I never quite know what other people intend when they verbally insult themselves either. I think it might be a form of self-humility to them.. to put it out there and attack themselves before others can. :\

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@treeghost

Yeah, I get your point and agree. I didn't actually mean to imply that situations like those would make me feel stupid, but rather annoyed caus the other person thinks that way. But I notice my post didn't make much sense so I just edited a little hehe. :')

I think you might be right with the self-humility thing with other people... :/

·
Registered
710 Posts
There are times...
when I do things...such as sitting something down and not remembering where it is...
someone may only see this side of me and think that I'm airheaded XP

but I know I'm not, I know that I'm smart in my own way...
intuitives are only supposed to be 25% of the population we easily see things most people don't...
that makes me feel smart, because I have to point them out ......

despite my airheaded moments XP

·
Registered
155 Posts
Only when talking to my INTP friend... I better be smarts,derp, lol I stultified. :/

Reactions: Angelus

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You guys are not stupid...you are pretty perfect. Gandhi was an INFJ for Pete's sake. I'm an INFP and although I know I'm not stupid I do an outstanding job as coming across scattered and ditzy. Count your blessings INFJ's :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're not stupid. It simply sounds like you have your own way of receiving, processing and relaying information. As you get older, you'll have more faith in your own abilities.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I have no doubt that I am completely stupid .....with a capital B!!

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have moments where I feel dumb. Usually when I'm being aloof while trying to multitask and someone else is there to witness my mistake. That's when I look around to see if anyone noticed, lol. Sometimes I'll verbally belittle myself over a small mistake. I think it's a self-esteem issue. Like I'm trying to get to it before the other person, or I want them to know that I know what they're really thinking. Even if they aren't really thinking it. They are thoughts I have about myself. Other times when I feel unintelligent are when I would normally know how to do something, but for some reason forgot how.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Moments like this happen to me and I'm supposed to be smart. Hell, I'm stereotyped as as an INTJ "evil genius". :dry: Most of my MBTI peers always brag about how they're smarter than their peers and how INTJs and INTPs are supposedly the most intelligent types out there...I BEG TO DIFFER! We all have our stupid moments and usually they're only 'stupid' because we/our intentions were misunderstood.

·
Registered
246 Posts
All my life!

I used to think I was abnormally stupid, which is strange since I always had the highest grades in class. For a long time the feeling was so bad that I actually planned on getting a future job that didn't require me to think at all. This is what happens when your intuitive conclusions are consistently devalued, I suppose. I also felt stupid because I was terrible at expressing my thoughts and thinking on the spot. I've learned since that I just have a different way of thinking from other people and that disagreeing is ok, but this really did take me a long time to realize.

I still miss a lot of things that are obvious to others, but who cares? My alternative interpretations are much more entertaining, and sometimes even brilliant. :cool:

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Like back in high school there was this one girl who was always talking loudly about how dumb she is ("I wouldn't know cuz I'm soo stupid seriously!"). Maybe she was just seeking attention dunno... :rolleyes:
There are many reasons to disclose stupidity, whether a person actually is stupid or not. Though, I would say that there are people who are genuinely stupid, but at the same time, intelligent enough to realize their shortcoming. Disclosing it can be a way for them to avoid embarrassment when a moment occurs that reveals their ignorance.

There are other reasons, of course.

It's wrong to identify with a negative trait, but it's a very human thing to do.

Well d'uh. My point was that there's no need for any written documents or anything (This place is really strict on security issues and usually everything needs to be in written word). In fact my boss seems to think that I'm really stupid most of the time. I absolutely hate it...
The intricacy of meaning I pack into sentences is often lost because most people do not pay attention to carefully selected words or implied meaning. It's not really their fault, but mine for poor communication.

Also sometimes at my work I daze off while talking to someone and then I'll react slowly to what they're saying. Then I feel like they're looking at me like "Oh boy...She's quite the simpleton isn't she..."
I get this all the time. It doesn't help that I talk slow and with a heavy accent. I honestly sound like a moron. I assume most people I meet go on believing this until I say something profoundly smart in a way relevant to the situation.

But I see myself as stupid too... intelligence is a relative thing. There are plenty of people who make me look dumb, and likewise, I make some people look dumb.

My ex, who had brain damage in her late teens and had to relearn to speak, was honestly, dumb. She missed a lot of high school. Yet, she had friends over now and then, and some of her friends seemed dimmer than her.

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
Registered
864 Posts
I think everyone has times when their brain "short circuits." I tend to space out, or become easily distracted. *ooh, shiny!*

I tend to be very specific with my language, and if other people aren't I always ask to clarify. Sometimes when people say a sentence, my brain comes up with ten different meanings, I think I've read it's a Ni user 'thing.'

Really, I don't care if people think I'm stupid. Makes it all the easier to sail right past their heads in any sort of circumstance; flying under the radar can be a very useful tactic.

·
Banned
293 Posts
My own very personal subjective categorization of "stupid" (i.e. below average) regarding innate reasoning ability, would probably encompass something like 50% of the population, and maybe 30% of INFJs.

With a much higher frequency I "feel" like someone is stupid because it is common that people have intelligence, but do not apply it. A lot of people act/speak without thinking things through. Very few people regularly visit "objective rational thinking" mode, and the vast majority are oblivious of when they are being irrational, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE CALLED ON IT (cue illogical defensive reactions).

I don't use INFJs for superior reasoning ability anyhow (unless you want to be a close friend/romantic mate). I use them for their superior understanding of FZEEELZLALZLORLZINGS. In my experience though, INFJs are generally aware of when they are being driven by feelings over logic. So when they act stupidly, they are aware of it and likely don't care.

With regard to feeling stupid though, I have noticed a tendency in INFJs to beat themselves up when they shouldn't. I often feel as though the people who are actually being stupid (sometimes INFJs) don't realize it though. So when an INFJ feels stupid, usually they aren't.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I do not feel "stupid" at all. I do accept that I am not perfect, I make mistakes but I also learn from those mistakes. I have a great capacity for acquiring, processing, and sharing knowledge in many forms. I also cannot recall ever meeting a person who I considered to be stupid. If any consideration towards someone's intelligence is made at all it is either a- that they are more so than I am which I admire; or b- they are not using the abilities they have and instead are focused on other priorities for example the girl you referenced calling herself stupid.

One has to remember that there are many different types of intelligence and its very unusual for someone to be strong in all of them. This contributes a lot to the idea that one person is stupid while another is smart because you may be comparing someone with strong interpersonal intelligence to someone with strong logical intelligence and frankly that isn't fair to either person.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have moments where I feel dumb. Usually when I'm being aloof while trying to multitask and someone else is there to witness my mistake. That's when I look around to see if anyone noticed, lol. Sometimes I'll verbally belittle myself over a small mistake. I think it's a self-esteem issue. Like I'm trying to get to it before the other person, or I want them to know that I know what they're really thinking. Even if they aren't really thinking it. They are thoughts I have about myself. Other times when I feel unintelligent are when I would normally know how to do something, but for some reason forgot how.
This is pretty much my experience. I tend to have my own (skewed) idea of how people perceive/think of me, and I project that onto myself by thinking I'm 'stupid' or whatever the negativity of the moment is. But really it's just all in your own head, most people don't watch others, waiting for them to make mistakes and pounce on it with silent ridicule... but hey, some people might so keep your guard up! :tongue:

Reactions: Krista

·
Registered
106 Posts
But really it's just all in your own head, most people don't watch others, waiting for them to make mistakes and pounce on it with silent ridicule... but hey, some people might so keep your guard up!
This is what I have to remember, thanks. :)

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Moments like this happen to me and I'm supposed to be smart. Hell, I'm stereotyped as as an INTJ "evil genius". :dry: Most of my MBTI peers always brag about how they're smarter than their peers and how INTJs and INTPs are supposedly the most intelligent types out there...I BEG TO DIFFER! We all have our stupid moments and usually they're only 'stupid' because we/our intentions were misunderstood.
I can relate to that completely

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
Yup. Dumb as they come sometimes (ah, me, that is!), but, here is the difference for me. I figure, if the people around know me to any extent, then they know that about 82% of the time I am coherent and effective. Intermittent mistakes will not likely permanently affect their fairly good opinion of me. If they don't know me and are strangers, then, pffft! Who cares what they think?

I do rather hate it when I screw up in front of someone that I deeply respect and admire, or that I am crushing on, though. That is NEVER something I can just toss off! Fortunately for my ego/self-esteem (but unfortunately for my overall quality of life), those sorts of people are few and far between. (Hmmm, I think I would rather suffer the bruising to my self-esteem than have a life void of people I respect and adore! 'Tis absolutely worth it!!)

Reactions: MNiS
1 - 20 of 27 Posts