Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5w4 intp
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is dedicated to all the good feelings that the Christmas spirit brings to our tired winter lives, especially for those of us who live up north.

I am really feeling it today. My Christmas lights, tree and my Christmas body is ready. It's only half past 5 but you could totally get away with murder its so dark. I've got my hot beverages and I think about shopping -- yes, totally in the mood for Christmas right now.

What is the christmas spirit?

from this website
For many people, Christmas is a time of sorrow. They don't have the extra money to buy presents for their children, family, and friends. Many are saddened at Christmastime when they think of their loved ones who will not be able to come home for various reasons. Turkey dinners may be only a wish and not a reality for some.

Yet, Christmas can be a season of great joy. It is a time of God showing His great love for us. It can be a time of healing and renewed strength. You see, Christmas is when we celebrate the birth of the Christ child. God sent His Son, Jesus, into the world to be born. His birth brought great joy to the world. Shepherds, wise men, and angels all shared in the excitement of knowing about this great event. They knew this was no ordinary baby. The prophets had told of His coming hundreds of years before. The star stopped over Bethlehem just to mark the way for those who were looking for this special child.

Christmas Spirit is also a johnny cash record.

To me, the Christmas spirit is the feeling of warmth and joy. It's the lights, the music and the snow covered landscapes.

Christmas cards!

Candy canes AND Christmas cards!

Creepy old men!

Coca cola trucks!

What else do you associate with this festive time of the year? More importantly, do you feel the Christmas spirit too, not as an INTP, but as your individual self?

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
Uh--I still have skeletons and pumpkins everywhere. And I don't even have my Gamora costume fully together yet. So NO CHRISTMAS YET.

So I guess you're not in a country that celebrates Halloween?

After that, I'm going to keep the gourds and wheat sheaves and such out until after American Thanksgiving (even though I'm not in the US.) And AFTER THAT...well yeah. Bring it. I've had a tough but oddly spiritual year, and am looking forward to celebrating all the joy and redemption the season allows. I hope it snows!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I look forward to gifts, a goose dinner, driving through the back roads at night and seeing the displays people put up on their houses and barns, and the yearly marathon of A Christmas Story on TV.

As far as I can tell, many people down here seem to think the Christmas spirit is the opportunity to launch into paranoid rants about their fear of a War on Christmas, but that doesn't seem nearly as much fun as gifts and a goose dinner. Well, fun for me, anyway. Probably not as fun for the goose.

·
Registered
5w4 intp
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh--I still have skeletons and pumpkins everywhere. And I don't even have my Gamora costume fully together yet. So NO CHRISTMAS YET.

So I guess you're not in a country that celebrates Halloween?

After that, I'm going to keep the gourds and wheat sheaves and such out until after American Thanksgiving (even though I'm not in the US.) And AFTER THAT...well yeah. Bring it. I've had a tough but oddly spiritual year, and am looking forward to celebrating all the joy and redemption the season allows. I hope it snows!
Traditionally no the country I live in doesn't celebrate Halloween but we are force-fed all of the western holidays so halloween is sort of a thing here, even black friday now. Personally I don't celebrate halloween I used to but I've never been in the mood for it.

·
Registered
INTP
5,731 Posts
No, I hate Christmas.

When I was a child it was a traumatic time. When my own child was a child, Christmas was stressful for various reasons, and when she was about 10 I told her there wouldn't be any more Christmases. So I've mostly avoided it for more than 25 years.

Most things about Christmas would be okay in small doses, but there's just too much of it at once. Too much noise, expense, food, socializing, and traffic. Too many obligations and disappointments. Too many LIES, e.g., "It will just be the three of us" becomes a party of 12. Too many offices and businesses are closed when I need to accomplish something.

The only thing I really liked was the lights, because it gets dark early here. But if I put up lights, people think I love Christmas, so I don't do it any more.

I try to hide for the entire month of December--until January 2. On Christmas day I eat ordinary food and do ordinary things, like work or exercise.

·
Registered
INTJ
2,172 Posts
I don't celebrate the actual holiday of Christmas personally but I do like the holiday season because fall and winter are my favorite seasons. I like cool weather and seasonal food/drink. I like going to special dinners and my company's holiday party. It encourages me to get out and have fun, if anything.

Christmas itself, I don't care either way. If I am dating someone who celebrates Christmas, I have no problem going with the flow. When I'm single, it's just another day off where I lie around and/or clean my house. For people I know who are really into gift giving, I will pick out things for them. Like I said, go with the flow. Not that I feel pressure to - I don't. More that I can afford to and if it is important to that person (which we all know those people) then I'll get them something meaningful/useful (I'm done with my shopping by Thanksgiving generally).

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
No, I hate Christmas.

When I was a child it was a traumatic time. When my own child was a child, Christmas was stressful for various reasons, and when she was about 10 I told her there wouldn't be any more Christmases. So I've mostly avoided it for more than 25 years.

Most things about Christmas would be okay in small doses, but there's just too much of it at once. Too much noise, expense, food, socializing, and traffic. Too many obligations and disappointments. Too many LIES, e.g., "It will just be the three of us" becomes a party of 12. Too many offices and businesses are closed when I need to accomplish something.

The only thing I really liked was the lights, because it gets dark early here. But if I put up lights, people think I love Christmas, so I don't do it any more.

I try to hide for the entire month of December--until January 2. On Christmas day I eat ordinary food and do ordinary things, like work or exercise.
You horrify me...

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
This puts the mood on right away.

I try to avoid Christmas songs and such, though, because it's such a waste to get in the mood 2 months too early.

That being said, I haven't been very hyped about Christmas for years... hopefully, I can celebrate a bit for once this time around. By beating my family members at board games.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
What else do you associate with this festive time of the year?
Rampant materialism.

More importantly, do you feel the Christmas spirit too, not as an INTP, but as your individual self?
I "feel it" as if I were observing a cultural phenomenon as an anthropologist would.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa! I don't want to be a downer here. I love Christmas, love the reason for the season. But, I'm one of those people who would wait until December 10th to think of decorating(for my wife we do it just after Thanksgiving). It's hard for me to get into Christmas spirit for that long, so a little more than two weeks seems good to me. I ignore the commercialization as much as possible. I think it is hilarious that the commercial giants have convinced society to dedicate their extra day off to spending lots of money at their businesses. I'll be out on a trail somewhere for a while, then likely spend the afternoon watching college ball. But that's just me, Christmas shopping for me happens about 10 days before the holiday.

It is acually upsetting to me that lots of the Christmas specials on TV are shown really early in December, or possibly in late November. I would actually watch them on December 15th, but no they're mostly over then, huh? I know it's been this way for years and years, gets earlier and earlier, but it still puzzles the heck out of me that it happens. Am I alone in that?

I love your Christmas spirit. I'll be right there with you in about 40 days.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts

Reactions: Eryngo

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts