Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the INTJs I know irl are actually seemingly more on the emotional side. Like they play classical music and love it. While the INFJs I know are very sharp and love the sciences etc. I know I'm not just mistyping because they both told me their type. I'm just wondering is this a strange occurrence or a common one? Anyone care to share their experiences?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Being on the Limbic side (rather than the Calm side) of the Big Five dimension that doesn't have a corresponding MBTI dimension — sometimes called Neuroticism, and sometimes called Emotional Stability — is associated both with greater emotional sensitivity and with artistic interests and abilities. There's apparently a mild correlation between being Limbic and being introverted (and, I believe, being Limbic and an F preference — or maybe it's being female), but for the most part it's an independent dimension.

So, all other things being equal, a Limbic INTJ will tend to be more emotional and more passionately interested in music and/or other arts than a Calm INTJ.

On average, an INTJ is more likely to become a scientist than an INFJ, while an INFJ is more likely than an INTJ to favor the arts and humanities (and social sciences) over the harder sciences. But INTJs and INFJs are pretty much equally intelligent (on average), and science-minded INFJs are hardly uncommon. Myers' Gifts Differing included tables showing the results of a study of research scientists of whom 77% were NTs and 23% were NFs and a study of college science majors of whom 57% were NT and 26% were NF. As part of her discussion of INFPs, Myers noted: "My father ... was director of the National Bureau of Standards, and we fully expected research scientists to be mainly INT– like him, certainly not INF– like my mother and myself. As it turned out, the INF–s among the top researchers at the Bureau were indeed fewer than the INT–s, but no less distinguished."

I'm an INTJ with what I consider a pretty strong T preference, but I'm also Limbic. I was good at math and science but always somewhat more interested in the arts, humanities and social sciences. And I'm passionate about music and tear up pretty easily at the movies. But, on the other hand, I have two I_FJ brothers and, when it comes to real life relationships, I'd say there's no question which of the three of us is the unsentimental one.

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
I was good at math and science but always somewhat more interested in the arts, humanities and social sciences. And I'm passionate about music and tear up pretty easily at the movies. But, on the other hand, I have two I_FJ brothers and, when it comes to real life relationships, I'd say there's no question which of the three of us is the unsentimental one.
Sounds a lot like me. I have a sister who's an F-- one of those "follow your heart no matter what common sense says" people who you think only exist on TV-- but even she doesn't cry like I do at sad movies.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Take a look at their cognitive functions. The INTJ has Fi as it's tertiary function. It is introverted feeling that is responsible for the INTJ's ''sensitive'' side. The INFJ's tertiary function, however, is Ti (introverted thinking). This function is about cold logic, and this might explain those INFJ's interest in science.

·
Banned
285 Posts
Everyone is both a thinker and a feeler as well as they're both a sensor and an intuitive.

However which cognitive functions we prefer in order can be the polar opposite of another persons. We all have the same abilities, we just prefer particular ones over others

·
Banned
285 Posts
Thats exactly what i meant. We all have the same abilities (the positive assets of each cognitive functions) however we can only access a number of them consciously. Every mbti-type have more conscious access to the favoured cognitive functions more than the repressed functions but the shadow-functions still exist in the unconscious mind

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well I'm not into science at all but I feel pretty balanced with T/F (and every time I take the test I end up scoring something like 49/51). Obviously my preference is slightly more F (as in, I base final decisions on feelings) but I love logic, impartiality and debate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh, for fuck's sake. Your hobbies have very little to do with T and F, or with MBTI for that matter. How you think is influenced by your type, not what you like to do in your spare time. T/F tells you how people make decisions, whether they're based on justice and logic or mercy and values. Liking classical music doesn't make you an F and it doesn't make you emotional.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, for fuck's sake. Your hobbies have very little to do with T and F, or with MBTI for that matter. How you think is influenced by your type, not what you like to do in your spare time. T/F tells you how people make decisions, whether they're based on justice and logic or mercy and values. Liking classical music doesn't make you an F and it doesn't make you emotional.
Dude, chill the fuck out. I know that; I was making this thread so it could be informative to other people. and even if I or anyone else didn't- there's no need to be a prick.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Jung certainly thought your type had quite a bit to do with your interests, including artistic interests. In explaining why certain qualities would tend to be repressed in a Te-dom, Jung associated "aesthetic activities" and "taste" and "artistic sense" all with the Feeling function. He also, though perhaps to a lesser degree, associated artistic creativity with intuition. And he thought extraverts tended to appreciate art that was realistic and beautiful and introverts tended to prefer more abstract kinds of art.

That was 90 years ago, of course, and Jung got quite a bit wrong, but over the past 50 years there's been a lot of data gathered that significantly correlates one or more of the MBTI preferences — especially N — with artistic interests and abilities. Keirsey has noted that "novelists, dramatists, television writers, playwrights, journalists, poets, and biographers are almost exclusively NFs." I suspect "almost exclusively" may be somewhat of an overstatement but, as I understand it, there's a substantial correlation.

What's your source for the notion that "your hobbies have very little to with T and F, or with MBTI for that matter"?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts