Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes you feel safe or unsafe?
Where do you feel safe or unsafe?

Do you keep your door locked even when you're home?
What's your awareness of your surroundings when in public and on public transport?
How do you think your past experiences have impacted your present perception? ie have you been attacked or something that broke your perception of safety.
What precautions do you take on? Do you have something to protect yourself? Do you plan to avoid certain places or not be out on the streets at night, in a group or alone?

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
There isn't really anything that makes me not feel safe. Things like public speaking make me feel anxious, but that's kind of different. I guess heights can make me feel unsafe, but again that's more anxiety than anything.

I feel safe everywhere. I've never gone walking down the street in the ghetto though so I can't speak to that. I have been in a maximum security jail with a murder cellmate for months and felt perfectly safe there.

No.

What's your awareness of your surroundings when in public and on public transport?
My awareness is usually good, but it's focused outside on whatever we are passing. I love riding on public transport. I do it for the fun of it even when I have no destination in mind. Actually, I drive for hours just to ride on new rail lines.

How do you think your past experiences have impacted your present perception? ie have you been attacked or something that broke your perception of safety.
I've never been in a fight in my life, nor ever felt like a fight was a remote possibility. I guess that's made me feel pretty safe. People mostly just ignore me.

What precautions do you take on? Do you have something to protect yourself? Do you plan to avoid certain places or not be out on the streets at night, in a group or alone?
I don't take any precautions. I walk around alone at night all the time. I don't avoid anyone, people avoid me.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about you, @Wellsy?
I don't feel unsafe in most places, except maybe when the circumstances do elevate in conflict and is ambiguous in it's possible conclusion. If I don't think two people are likely to lose their shit and hurt each other physically I'm pretty chill but the possiblity of it elevating can unsettle me.
I think its the unpredictableness that can lend it self to feeling more unsafe, that and thinking that your well being is at risk.

Other than that though I've walked the streets drunk and so on, never felt unsafe.

·
Banned
2,205 Posts
Rowdy people make me feel unsafe, I suppose. You know, aggressive, loud, angry types.

I feel the most safe at home in my apartment, where I always keep the door locked and the blinds shut (I like privacy).

I don't ride public transport, but I suppose that in the rare cases I do I'm going to be generally aware of my surroundings, as I would be anywhere else.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Walking across campus alone late at night is always kind of scary, especially when I'm getting crime report emails constantly. I also hate it when people walk close behind me, especially at night.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I love being alive. So anything that makes me feel like I'm threatened with injury or illness makes me feel unsafe. Also, for some reason, I've been told on more than one occasion that people are afraid that I am going to die in childbirth... I never felt unsafe about it until that seed was planted. But even then, I have no reason to believe that I will. I trust in our health care system. I won't ever show them that I think of this though.

I feel the MOST safe (cheesy) in my husband's arms. He's a burly guy, I'm not really worried about anything when he's around. When we were young, we went out clubbing with some friends. A drunk guy fell into me and I shoved him away. I got in his face (it was my first reaction and I was completely forgetting my husband was there). Out of no where, my husband stepped out from behind me, and I just remember touching his bad. Some tense words were exchanged (I couldn't hear) and the other guy backed away.

Because I am a woman with a vagina, I have been conditioned to feel generally uneasy when I'm walking alone in the dark. I keep a set of sharp key chain knuckle dusters that I wear when I do walk alone. I have heightened awareness, I walk with confidence, usually someone on the phone with me, and mentally prepare myself for a fight. It's stupid and unnecessary, but it's what I do.

Yes. I don't know who doesn't.

In public, I generally let my guard down. I am relaxed as long as no one is in my personal space. I don't feel safe nor unsafe.

No, the most unsafe I've felt was having my trust broken by family members. A stranger has never violated that. My extended family experienced a burglary, and I know it affected them a great deal.

I think I summed it up earlier. If I'm walking alone, in the dark, or if I ever feel a slight uneasiness, I prepare physically and mentally to fight. I don't avoid it because it doesn't run my life or my schedule.

I don't often feel mentally unsafe because I was vulnerable in my childhood and it was exploited. So the only times I ever feel unsafe nowadays, is if I'm physically threatened.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no reason to fear the night as long as the Dark Knight watches over Gotham

·
Registered
874 Posts
Why not check for anxiety?
I naturally lock my doors all the time, and I have anxiety.
I'm scared of strangers standing very close to me. Maybe you do?

·
Banned
326 Posts

Safe - familiar surroundings, knowing where I am, who is around me, what they are doing. Trust. Comfort.
Unsafe - unfamiliar surroundings aka. being lost as hell, emotional vibe from strangers being hostile or unable to gauge it, people who loom over me, people who hover around me too closely, people who invade my personal bubble, violence in general.

Door is kept locked at all times.
I used to have very poor situational awareness. I would say it's still poor compared to my partner but I think he's more 'protective' so he's better at noticing things. I tend to be in my head or daydreaming a lot and I know that's not good for safety. This actually got me into trouble when I was a much younger woman. I don't want to talk about it beyond that but it did affect my perception of safety and how I view people I don't know.

I almost never go out at night alone - not even for a routine trip to the supermarket. I usually try to do solo trips during daylight hours or at night I'm usually with my partner or friends. I have a .22 rifle, a shotgun I'm keeping for a friend (he has a small child and can't keep it at his place until his son is older). Also have knives & swords if need be (partner's collection). Am considering a taser for the purse. The partner has a rifle & handgun, as well as his blade collection. I enjoy target shooting immensely which shocks a lot of people because they get an impression of me being "soft". Shooting is therapeutic & cathartic.

Is it paranoia? Better safe than sorry. This is more true if you've grown up in certain types of neighborhoods or had previous incident(s) where your safety was compromised or violated.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,477 Posts
(A) Safe ---> Security / control + plans, back-up plans, ''trust worthy'' - (via) intelligent individuals.

Intelligent trust-worthy individuals - If out on the street (re: Informal - relationshits, friendshits, et al) --> Street smarts + high to moderately high common sense >> (extroverts + high social / emotional intelligence).

Intelligent trust-worthy individuals - If not out on the street (via) formal environments --> Books smarts + moderately low common sense (re: wisdom-think / personal-think / subjective think).

(B) Unsafe --> Lack of security / socialized-stupidity --> ('Followers'); Societal conformists (re: Jumping off cliffs / dare-devils, risk-takers within social environments + people with 0 plans / 0 organization, those that ''live in the moment''. (re: Drug users ''Ignorance is bliss'' - thinkers).

Safe --> Home / familiar environments / familiarity (via) faces + family, surroundings, objects + ''know where I am''.

Unsafe --> Ambiguous + high risk environments - > (re: Bars (i.e .. alcoholism), Clubs, Dark areas, unfamiliar environments + unfamiliar surroundings).

Yes.

I go everywhere alone, I have nothing to protect myself - as I rarely put myself in high-risk + dangerous surroundings or environments.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
My kitty cat walking around the house. I know its not robbers or rapist its just my cat being a cat. Now that he has a collar we can hear him coming every time he moves

Sleeping in a house I know is occupied with other people(In fact it could be a house with me and nothing but children and I would still feel safer than being alone)

Leaving all the lights on or the tv on when I sleep

Being alone is the biggest threat as you can not run to other people for assistance is something bad happens. If you scream for help in a crowd of people it will both distract them, the person coming for you, and perhaps get you some assistance. So it serves as both a distraction, assistance and a barrier

Also you dont want me to make things safe. If I had my way every house would look like a prison, and have all the securities a castle would have. It would have traps, a mote, a bunch of piranha guarding it, a bridge you must lift and bring down everyday. Trap doors, you name it. In fact I dont understand what is wrong with this generation. All we have is an alarm system! Why does no one have booby traps or anything. The Egyptians did it, they did it for castles. Why cant we do that? I mean not only is it a fun project but your stuff wont get stolen! You should have seen the stuff I designed as a child. Use to love drawing castles and fortresses. I would probobly be willing to put bars on my window in a nice city just because I wanted to make sure no one broke into the place. Be full of land mines, and electric fence, spikes all around the premises, a door that dropped robbers into a hole with a camera. Be like saw talking to the intruder in the hole. "Hello sir it seems you have illegally trespassed. You will be gassed in 5 minutes if you do not leave. In order to exit the premises please use the door which will lead you somewhere outside of the premises. Please do not return again without the proper permission".

(heres the funny part, I am actually trained as a security guard) I should work for a bank.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Yes, locks keep honest men honest.

As an enneatype 8 I constantly assess all threats around me. This does indeed include everyone in my general area. I am still a very calm person who thinks the best of people, but, I remain vigilant because it is in my nature. It has served me extremely well in the past.

I have suffered battery a few times but mostly in dynamic situations where I was party to blame for being there, like Mardis Gras. Once at a Dutch train station, and a dozen or so times at drinking parties. A few score sibling fights.

These experiences had zero effect on my present state of mind or perception. I came through them on moderately wounded physically and gave as good as I got.

I was bullied as a young man in school. I was double promoted and two years younger than the other boys. The bullying was intense and very physical and in the boy scouts as well. Lots of hazing. I usually took fairly violent revenge but also let it go often enough. I also told on some of the bullies, which, in hindsight, I am not sure I would do again. It's better to confront the bully personally, even if you are not as strong.

I am always very situationally aware as many would-be attackers have discovered. I scan continually for potential weapons with some pretty good default concepts ready to go. I own but do not carry guns with me. I own but rarely carry knives and canes with me. I have very deadly (not stupidly artistic) knives and walking canes.

I do not actively avoid danger in any meaningful way other than being aware. I have found that to be enough in 99% of cases. I walk my dog with my girlfriend du jour at various distant nature places and places where riff raff congregate. Many thuggish types have pseudo threatened me and I have prepared my girlfriend to do the right things in such circumstances. I do not try to be a hero but rather to diffuse the situation. There have been a lot of instances where me just turning to face the alpha problem causer, the talker, and mitigating the distance between myself and his cronies has convinced the group of thugs that I was too dangerous to mess with. Often, they never even said anything and I didn't either. I just moved the right way. It's funny but in a lot of cases my oblivious girlfriend would be yammering on and not even notice what was happening. Not wanting the situation to escalate I usually leave her oblivious. If I needed to I would warn her before a breakpoint in the action. Some of them see at some point or freak out later when I tell them what just happened. That is usually an alarming conversation for them. But I like the women that seem to be able to play back the experience in their minds and see that I was correct. Some of them just think I am paranoid. They are very wrong. :)

I do not think of experience this way. I am as prepared as I can be and so ... I choose not to be afraid, that is to say, I feel safe in general. I am a Southern white male and I have gone solo with an attractive girlfriend into downtown Atlanta and New Orleans black clubs, been the only speck of white in there, and had a great time, completely unafraid. I have been accosted there some, but, my fellow patrons stepped in and got busy with the thugs just like me. Fear is a self fulfilling prophecy. So is courage.

That being said, there are situations that seem to boil into existence that make me afraid. I am massively externally intuitive, so, I tend to sense the onset and I suppose do my version of a freak out. Suddenly asking whoever I am with to leave or to make my excuses and leave before the crowd gets ... wrong. New Orleans in general and Mardis Gras in particular, are fine examples of this kind of situation. Crowd stampedes, etc. That is simply put, extremely dangerous. Mobs of people are scary to me. There are too many variables to consider.

Also, if I myself am ill or infirm, other people are simply not in the same league with trustworthiness and concern. They fail radically more often than I do at keeping things safe and nominally non escalated. So, for me, I fear being incapacitated. A great example of this is that if while hiking in the woods my girlfriend gets hurt I know everything to do and if need be I can carry her out. But she for most shes knows little of what to do and usually cannot carry me out. Both of those are ... not ideal.

Basically all of this is just a type 8 state of being.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
What makes you feel... unsafe?
Men, especially groups of men. Also, when people (other than bus drivers and other professionals) are driving me anywhere.

Almost all of the time. Sometimes I leave it unlocked just after I've gone out to check the weather before getting dressed.
Fair to poor because my senses are easily overwhelmed by such details.

How do you think your past experiences have impacted your present perception?
Not much.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the time that I felt most unsafe was when I worried about leaving my house and my half brother being out the front. Every time I went to drive to uni and open the garage door there was an anxiety about whether he'd just be there waiting and wondering what I would do.
It definitely wasn't as intense as the sort of fear I imagine someone whose being a domestic violence situation where there is more violence than I experienced and a more substantial threat to their lives. But there was that constant tension about him being around the home and every time the phone or the doorbell rang it was that felt sense it'd be him again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts