Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some thoughts on how Feeling might be mistaken for Intuition.

Feeling might involve a sense of inner guidance and just knowing without analyzing. One might simply know things or understand phenomena without any thought, but rather through a process of pinpointing what feels right. The process may feel very personal or spiritual. It could be described as idealism, as the person decides what is right or true not by intellectual analysis but by aligning one's thoughts with what is ideal. For example, a Feeler might see a painting as beautiful not because of the technique and skill involved, but because it would be unthinkable not to appreciate it.

Someone might mistake Feeling for Intuition because they have the feeling of just knowing things, of the answer just coming to them and sometimes being hard to describe. However, the difference is that with Feeling, the inner guidance and knowing is a matter of Judgment, not Perception. One feels guidance on what to do or how to understand phenomena.

In contrast, Intuition is a form of Perception, it is how one takes in information. Intuition is not a decision process, but a perception process that gives the person new information about the world. Intuition ignores the concrete properties of objects and perceives the abstract properties, such as one's mental associations. A chair is not a thing to sit on but something to give new mental content. Suddenly one might be thinking of an interrogation room, or musical chairs, or a throne room. Then, they are thinking about what it would be like to rule the world. Because Intuitive perception is always activating ideas, the person may experience hunches or theories about the world around them.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
Yep, It's one of the biggest reasons I believe so many SF types believe they are N. SFs like to think they know when someone's lying, they can tell whether someone's a good person or not, they feel this year will good for them etc. But all of those are actually feeling judgements. Intuition just perceives information. It never says ''I feel this way about that'' But rather ''Here is how I interpret this. Whether I like it or not is irrelevant''.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Recede,

Good OP and reminds me of happy years doing philosophy at Uni.

I agree with the replies above, and would add that feeling and wanting are very close. So an intuition might be a feeling in disguise and (in turn) the feeling might be wanting in disguise. Sometimes when we claim to have an intuition about something objective in the world, this may be informed by us wanting things to be that way. I'm pretty sure that I made that mistake in a dissertation and realising it was better philosophy than not realising it.

D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts