Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and I know this is just my perception, but I am starting to push myself down into my shell. :( I really like people, I do! But I never feel like I can just let my hair down and relax in my own house. Even the phone makes me feel guilty if it rings and I don't feel like talking, LOL.

The funny thing is, I was just (just) reading this blog: How introverted do I want my life to be? when the doorbell rang and a neighbor with his toddler, and another child my DDs age came over to see if they want to play. So now I have a neighbor's child playing with DD in the living room, and two more visitors in the backyard with my DS...

...and I just want to be left alone. See, I work with other people's children all week; every day for three or four hours, and on the weekend I just want to see my own kids and be able to walk around my house, putter around, maybe even sit on the porch, without feeling like a magnet. Our neighborhood is almost too friendly, but I feel like a heel for complaining! :(

At least I know I'm not alone! Anyone have any advice? I've already put up a flag/sign on my door as a sign not to ring the bell (established this last year). Sometimes the neighbor kids remember and sometimes they don't. Oh, well. No one else in my family "gets it" and so I am kind of existing here with stress levels through the roof, because I don't know how to communicate this without hurting the feelings of my neighbors. I also want my kids to be able to play with their friends, though I would prefer they play outside like we did as kids.

Sorry for the vent; just happy that this forum is here! You all keep me grounded. :)

Also, thank goodness for my therapy appointment on Monday!! :D

Reactions: Zech

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes, in most cases I will do that. However one child who comes over is here without his parent, and he tends to yell and scream and chase the other kids around. So I feel like I need to be at least observing, even if there is one other parent here. (Why can't they just all go play at their house??)

So my afternoon plans are shot, as kids come running in and out, and I will have to put my foot down and send everyone home and be "the mean mom." Ah, well... here goes... :/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did I mention the neighbor (adult) who peeks in the window to see if I am teaching? I couldn't make myself do that if someone paid me to. It feels rude, and possibly illegal, LOL. It's like there are no boundaries, and I am letting the neighborhood control me. I need to stop that....ideally in a nice way. I do have to live here, after all. Though picking up and moving to the country is rather appealing. ;)

Reactions: Zech

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
Come and live in England! Everybody hates everybody else here; you come home, close your door and that's that!

For what it's worth, I'd be going mad in your situation. I just couldn't be bothered :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts