Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recording a "misadventure" I had in my 3rd month of learning programming. Gave me the idea for this thread, where I d like that you share with us your mad scientists moments :D

So let me start with that misadventure :

I was learning how to upload files through my website to a cloud storage service, AWS S3 in this case.
But I pushed my credentials to my public repo and within 2 days my bill started to behave strangely : Text Web page Font Blue Line

Reactions: Themorning

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
That story is extremely boring. But to answer the question, I'm a super quirky mad scientist with great one liners. I walk around outside holding a pinwheel and singing bits of musicals, talking to myself and laughing. And I always have a witty comeback to things people say, like, "That's what she said." Also, sometimes I hole myself up in my room reading articles on neuroscience or conspiracy theories and trying to find a way to use hypnosis and meditation to alter my own mental capacity.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That story is extremely boring
Don't be too harsh with yourself, I found it funny, especially the last part:
... trying to find a way to use hypnosis and meditation to alter my own mental capacity.

·
Registered
ENTP
3,276 Posts
I don't know if that counts, it's hardly scientific but I tried to clean a pot by boiling water in it and adding baking soda. Ka boom. Foam all over.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I more or less unconsciously thrive to receive punishment that leads to more thinking...

In my exchange year, after each semester, I had to go personally ask every teacher I had to give me a little paper that would be the credit of the course. I found it horribly more boring to do than the punishment of failing to validate that one year which was writing a 100-page-paper on a topic of my choice and and 2-month-internship...

·
Registered
962 Posts
One of the more stupid things I've every done in the lab was bubbling oxygen through ethanol. No ignition around sources thankfully. Not really a mad scientist thing, more of a not thinking thing. I've destroyed a couple of things with high concentration ozone....that was kind of interesting.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I made a program to teach kids some hilarious shit. ELAN is weird.
Also helped repurpose LOIC after that one norwegian dude went all IPODRAEGDERP. Just the usual backdoors to keep a DDoS from eating itself.

Also made a mobile fridge on wheels with remote control <yes an entire fridge, coolers suck, shut up>.
Also made a sticky camera using a bluetooth adapter, an RC Helicopter's motion sensor, and a digital camera lens-thing. No I have no idea how it worked, I just crammed random bits together that I googled to see what functions it had.

Also made an incredibly complex script that predicted shit my friends would do to the point that everyone thought it was a true AI. It involved statistics. A lot of it. Also a lot of wires to connect computers together for the processing power. Also a power supply that would last a couple of years or so with little maintenance.

Also made a headphone out of speakers, then supercharged it with... I have no idea it was sparky and made the bass louder so I jammed it in it.

OH and made a speaker portable by combining it with a remote, including the battery source-thing.

...My lack of mechanical experience REALLY is useful..

·
Registered
6 Posts
i put a lump of sodium down the sink and turned the tap on in my chemistry class; of course it made a spectacular explosion with shrapnel, gas and the like, as a result, I got expelled from all subsequent practical work. i study chemistry at degree level now. win-win.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Renaissance Man.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
I work at Fiber Optic Manufacturer
and have many unique designs and
inventions to my name, working on securing
one patent and have a few industrial designs.

One is a pulling eye- a head attachment for pulling bulk
cable without damaging the connectorized end(s).

and the big one is a mid span access technology
that enables bi-directional signal transmission via
pulling customer specific subunits from points within a cable
run that allow for said mid span access. This in itself is not
the biggest advantage.. that lies within the fact that a
customer can run ONE cable and have multiple connections
from that cable without having to run multiple cables for each
transmission thus saving much needed space in cable ways.

so for example.

When they "wire" a sky rise, they have what is almost like
an elevator shaft that allows for cables up the building.
Well all of them start on the ground level. One cable per
floor so at the second floor you have a mass of cables on
the third floor it is less one and so on and so on.

Well my invention allows the customer to run one cable with hundreds
of fibers in it a reasonable OD and I use mid span access to pull one sub unit
from within the master cable for each floor..

This is all over simplified but this is going way long...

I can say this much.
That invention is being used for the TTC (Toronto subway) for wireless technology
within the tunnels. If you are using WiFi in the TTC tunnels, it is
due to my invention.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.