Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,630 Posts
I don't know why I became a 9w8, just because I think I've always been one. I knew I wasn't like others because other people don't seem to have such a dichotomy within themselves. There's the part of me that wants to get along and chill out, but there's the part that wants to act and do with passion and conviction. And then there's my morals and stuff that cause me to side with either side throughout the day because one is more right than the other, though I desire to do one more than the other.

As a kid, I didn't think of it too much. I got along with others and had lots of friends, but I was also very independent. If I felt like doing something, someone would come along with me, generally. Or maybe I went with them. It's blurry, but I always did what I liked to do and had company.

My home life was never bad. I was pretty obedient, usually doing the right thing because it was the right thing to do, and adults would be happy with me.

I definitely acted like a 9w8 in my teens, but it didn't feel empowering or beneficial until I had matured. It only troubled me because I fought with the underdeveloped sides of each. As I got older I realized I was able to be a bit of a chameleon when others needed it; People would be stuck in inaction, so I would step up and take care of business. No matter how much I don't like something I need to do, I can step up and do it to the best of my ability. (Part of the reason for my username) I got on top of my 9w8 and turned it into something beneficial to others and myself.

It empowers me now to be 9w8 because I have two parts of me, the 9 and the 8, that I can switch between when the situation requires it. I can stand back and assess and think, and I can also act on my thinking and make positive changes. It opens up a lot of possibilities for me, and I also want to open those possibilities for other people.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know why I became a 9w8, just because I think I've always been one. I knew I wasn't like others because other people don't seem to have such a dichotomy within themselves. There's the part of me that wants to get along and chill out, but there's the part that wants to act and do with passion and conviction. And then there's my morals and stuff that cause me to side with either side throughout the day because one is more right than the other, though I desire to do one more than the other.

As a kid, I didn't think of it too much. I got along with others and had lots of friends, but I was also very independent. If I felt like doing something, someone would come along with me, generally. Or maybe I went with them. It's blurry, but I always did what I liked to do and had company.

My home life was never bad. I was pretty obedient, usually doing the right thing because it was the right thing to do, and adults would be happy with me.

I definitely acted like a 9w8 in my teens, but it didn't feel empowering or beneficial until I had matured. It only troubled me because I fought with the underdeveloped sides of each. As I got older I realized I was able to be a bit of a chameleon when others needed it; People would be stuck in inaction, so I would step up and take care of business. No matter how much I don't like something I need to do, I can step up and do it to the best of my ability. (Part of the reason for my username) I got on top of my 9w8 and turned it into something beneficial to others and myself.

It empowers me now to be 9w8 because I have two parts of me, the 9 and the 8, that I can switch between when the situation requires it. I can stand back and assess and think, and I can also act on my thinking and make positive changes. It opens up a lot of possibilities for me, and I also want to open those possibilities for other people.
This was all beautiful and I relate very much so with it. Gee, i'm glad there is one fellow INFP 9w8 that I have gotten a glimpse of.

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,630 Posts
This was all beautiful and I relate very much so with it. Gee, i'm glad there is one fellow INFP 9w8 that I have gotten a glimpse of.
I'm glad you have as much fun as me :)
And are we the only ones here?? I've seen a 9w8 INTP on the forum, and that's the only 9w8 I've even seen besides you!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm a person who has had a huge gripe with perfectionism. When I was younger I resented other people who weren't doing as much as I was, I always kept placing pressure on myself to uphold a certain standard, I was too critical and judgmental, I took myself too seriously and was horrible with criticism, etc.

That perfectionism and constant resentment was very detrimental to me. I was too stressed and ridden with negative emotions all the time.

After being bullied (the ostracizing kind), I hit an all time low in regards to my self-esteem and self-worth. I was the epitome of an unhealthy 9. I was a doormat, too afraid to share my own perspective in case it clashed with others'. I was obsessed in making sure I didn't offend other people because I didn't want them to hate me, I didn't want to be abandoned yet again.

Ultimately, I worked towards getting out of that and building up my mental health. I think the experience made me more mature.

I'm a 9w8 in part because with that experience I realized what I considered as immature and unhealthy. I'm assertive when needed because I've seen how horrible and immature passive-aggression is and I don't want to be that way. I don't want to keep this negative feelings inside of me and let it stew within me, I want to express it, confront the issue, and resolve it. I am blunt and frank because I want open communication. I've let go of my grip with perfection because I knew it was unattainable and unreasonable.

With regards to independence, I've been that way ever since. It probably helped that my ESTJ mom is capable and autonomous as well, instilling that value to me.

The rest of having an 8 wing was cultivated naturally as I grew into my personality.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dunno really. It's hard for me to believe that one can change their "core" and become another type specially since I have felt like a 9 since I can remember (basically seeing 9 traits in me). Since I was a kid I loved being obedient cause like ButIHaveNoFear said, adults liked it and felt like the right thing to do. Heck, I remember once I received a praised because I was very quiet and since then I tried to be the quietest among my group of friends/family to get those praises again.

Yet, despite being quiet I usually got really mad when I judged something as bad. I started to argue, be stubborn and all the quietness usually was gone when I flipped. I was even vice-president for my class once and sometimes I was hard on my classmates and some other times I was just chill with them, but I just didn't know which side I had to stick to! It was a real pain in the ass.

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,829 Posts
As a child all indications point to me being a 7w8, I was not withdrawn and in the background, I was leading the charge, introducing myself to strangers and directing the other kids in how we should play. I was the child with mischief in my eyes, not badly behaved, just mischief with high energy that could intimidate others... as any ENTP should! I have a very hilarious letter from a teacher when I was in primary school spelling it out in vivid imaginary.

It changed because I was not able to be myself, it was not acceptable and there was no point fighting that as it was impossible to win, so I gave up and to deal with that pain I shut off caring or needing anything. As for the wing 8, not sure, possibly because I was angry but it wasn't my fault so I didn't push blame inwards, maybe because I had a connection to it already with the 7.

It's hard for me to believe that one can change their "core" and become another type
The reason is because patterns can be observed from environment, unlike MBTI. It's frequent enough to be noticeable that 9s can often have a 9 parent and one who comes across as quite strong or domineering. I do wonder if preference in each triad may be inherent though and the one that's pushed forward the one with the is reinforced by environment.

Reactions: inscribed
1 - 7 of 7 Posts