Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all of you scrumptious muffins!

INFJs seem to have countless layers to their personality.
Personally, I always surprise/confuse myself with the different personalities I evoke.
Some people are so sure of who I am and are absolutely shocked when they see a different side of me. Even my parents and brothers seem a little shocked sometimes at how I act.
The only kind of personality that I almost never see in myself is meanness.

I worry that I'll have trouble in the future forming close relationships due to people being repelled by how non linear my personality is.

What's the cause of INFJs having such complicated personalities?
Oh, and please share about your own personality!! :)

EDIT: Please do not interpret this as drastic mood swings, as drastic mood swings are not me

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello all of you scrumptious muffins!

INFJs seem to have countless layers to their personality.
Personally, I always surprise/confuse myself with the different personalities I evoke.
Some people are so sure of who I am and are absolutely shocked when they see a different side of me. Even my parents and brothers seem a little shocked sometimes at how I act.
The only kind of personality that I almost never see in myself is meanness.

I worry that I'll have trouble in the future forming close relationships due to people being repelled by how non linear my personality is.

What's the cause of INFJs having such complicated personalities?
Oh, and please share about your own personality!! :)

EDIT: Please do not interpret this as drastic mood swings, as drastic mood swings are not me
lol I love INFJs <3

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
lol I love INFJs <3
*thunderous hooves sound in the distance. Warhorn blows*

HUG HIMMMM!!!

Being the same all the time is boring. Sometimes, a dude just need to run through a forest during a thunderstorm with only underwear on, eating all the wild berries he finds along the way and hoping they're good for him.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I don't have a straight answer to the complexity, only that it works just the way that it exists! I see the INFJ personality as being directly linked to the human soul and given the fact that we're constantly reading under the surface of what people say and the juxtaposition of what they say versus what we can garner from their expressions or body language, I think our different selves are a way of protecting our inner self as we relate to the world through mirroring what we've seen or perhaps making a parody of it. Hence, our sarcastic humor. We're usually telling the truth, no matter what version of ourselves happens to be dominating our shell. The world has a thousand faces; it is erratic and will insult you and commend you in the same breath. That is the essence of being human; you'll get a great many differences in opinion, demeanor, beliefs, values, etc. that will shock, alarm and inspire. I consider the INFJ as a compass or reference point; because we see what is truly behind other people's masks, we will come out with some rather insightful, revealing commentary all the while swapping faces depending on who we are interacting with. It's really difficult to explain being a chameleon without automatically thinking, "Wait a minute? Are you ever yourself? Are you lying then?" No we're not; we require different selves as a way of relating to others and protecting our inner self, which I believe is composed of all of our social constructs and broad concepts about life, love, humanity, etc. The complexity just works because we are the 'scramble suit' of humanity and we shock and alarm because we will oftentimes reveal what others are really thinking, feeling, doing, or have done in the past. We're no different than anyone else---I think we just understand the essence of what makes us human and embody it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
:3 hehe I suppose it would be relevant to mention that I have found I come off as having an IXTJ facade before someone gets hurt and I reveal the F in my strong concern and my N when I get excited talking about psychology with the N sitting next to me on the bus :p perhaps the reserve from the IxFx is what leads us to hold things back and make people confused? And then, anyone with a healthy sense of 'lets try something new! (developed p?)' or 'lets look at things from a different perspective!' could confuse people too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My personality changes depending on who I'm with at the time, like a chameleon! I think it's all part of being adaptable, and also discovering yourself. I also find that I take on the personalities of other people if I hang around them too much, I think it's part of the way we understand people, we put ourselves in their shoes.. psychologically?

Or I could be totally wrong.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My personality changes depending on who I'm with at the time, like a chameleon! I think it's all part of being adaptable, and also discovering yourself. I also find that I take on the personalities of other people if I hang around them too much, I think it's part of the way we understand people, we put ourselves in their shoes.. psychologically?

Or I could be totally wrong.
You touched on key points found in my own analysis! You're not alone! :D And because it's based on personal experience, I don't think there's any way to be wrong :D

Reactions: GSMenardi

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
It's an Fe thing. . . our actions have different meanings when we are with different people.

We understand that, depending on the person, they might like one type of behavior and hate another, so we change and enjoy ourselves.

It is Chameleon-esque of us, but I wouldn't say it's "fake". In our hearts, in our intentions, we mean the same thing.

With certain friends, I love who I become. It can be very fun.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I am different things to different people.. Different people mean different things to me.
No two dynamics are exactly alike.
It's like levels. I don't think it's really that complicated.
Each dynamic takes on a life of it's own, each relationship is ..Unique.

I have quickly devised a system of reference.

Synergistic.. We improve each other
Symmetry..We get along in general harmony
Parasitic.. We feed off of each other till there's nothing left
Toxic.. Danger from the get go

See? Not complicated

·
Banned
327 Posts
I tend to emphasize different characteristics depending on whom I'm with. But I have the same general personality-that is, one that is all over the place.

I think that everyone has different facets of their personality, it's just that most people don't realize and explore these different parts, at least not to the extent that most INFJs do.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts