Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took MBTI last night and found out that I'm a ISTJ. From the description of it, I fit the description pretty well. The reason I took this test is to find out what kind of career I can have advantage over other people.

Currently, I'm working as an analyst for an investment bank but I feel like I don't fit for few reasons.
1) I suck at communicating with other and always seem to get misunderstood. I just suck when it comes to explaining complex ideas and I just can't say what I'm thinking in my head into words
2) Work deals with innovative ways to solve complex problems
3) The group that I'm in is new and they're constantly changing the procedures and ways to doing things.

It's been frustrating two years and I'm thinking of changing career. I don't know what I like and good at... only thing I know I'm good at is being creative. I like art in high school way more than any other classes. The reason I'm I majored in Finance is not because I like Finance but because since I didn't know what I like and thought I could force myself to like something why not learn to like Finance since it earns good money. It's time for me to go for what I like and enjoy doing rather than trying trying trying to do something that i'm not good at just for money.

Whenever there is free time, I occupy myself with these. I guess you can call it hobbies.
- I'm always trying to improve myself. Reading books and articles on how to be smarter. Learning to play guitar, learn to trade stocks, learning to speed read.
- Watch movies (a lot of movies)

So here is my question, what can a ISTJ who's creative, has somewhat skills in art, a slow learner, lot of motivation, not so good at communicating complex ideas, likes to follow procedures recommended to do for a living?
I read up most of the threads pertaining to careers for ISTJ in this forum but didn't really get much ideas.
MBTI suggested Accountant but I sucked at Accounting 101 and all accounting courses. And by the sound of the ISTJ threads, accounting is hated by most ISTJ... I've read some ISTJ are in engineering, do you guys like it? are you guys good at it? Do you think someone like me can be good at it?
What about in the art industry, is there something I can try like computer graphics?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I studied Psychology but worked in construction and safety for my entire working life for the most part. I enjoy safety because it is a system: a series of procedures that need to be followed to the letter to ensure both the safety of the worker and to protect all concerned in the event of an incident.

I like it because it is something that I know and the systemic order appeals to me, although this is largely because at this point there is no question I have not been asked and therefore I have prepared answers when I am doing courses. The career I am currently in requires me to stand in front of people and be the center of attention, which I do not enjoy, but I have adapted and become not only comfortable with it, but very good at it as well, because of hard work and perseverance: the ISTJ way.

Nobody can tell you what will appeal to you: we are different people. You need to either learn to adapt and acquire a higher level of skill in the areas where you feel you are lacking, or try out something else and see if it appeals to you. Perhaps some night or correspondence classes in something geared towards a career change just to test out the waters.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
It sounds like that you would enjoy your job if you could learn to communicate complex ideas a little better. How about taking a few communications courses with that goal in mind?

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Hmm my husband is ISTJ, and he works in the IT field as systems admin (taking care of the network, servers, applications and the infrastructure of the company). You can say that he deals with things in an organized, systematic way, dealing with routine procedures as well as possible issues. It might seem lack of creativity, but then he tries to learn new ways to solve certain things, and then from time to time he has to learn how to deal with new situations (like writing applications). He's a good learner and is good at solving problems. Oh and he doesn't have to interact much. :p He's not really a social butterfly anyways.

But are you interested in a more artistic area? Or just something that requires some creativity?
Maybe design and and advertisement field can be interesting? I'm not familiar with this, but maybe it requires to follow certain standard procedures, but requires creativity at the same time.
But maybe anything that fits what you are looking for exists in the finances world? I'm not familiar with this thought.

Although there's one important thing to keep in mind - we might enjoy a certain job, but sometimes still have to do something we don't really enjoy from time to time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts