·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard about it and I think it's more deep about only "associate" things. With our Ni we can do that and so much more.
I also believe the few peope that could have this are sensors.
Wait...you think it's a sensor thing? Or are you saying that Ns generally associate many things with many other things as part of their general psychological makeup anyway?
I don't know...I always thought I was pretty crazy as a kid because to me R was red, D was yellow, 5 was orange, 8 was purple, etc, and they all had personality traits. until I learned about synesthesia and I was like "right! That's exactly how I work." It isn't so strong that I associate tastes with different words and such, though.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Wait...you think it's a sensor thing?
It's not a sensor thing but the few people who could experience this may be sensors, the most of them, of course an intuitive can have synesthetes. But synesthetetes is about our five sense, or five sense start to change.

And I'm not even saying you're a sensor or anything it you're asking youserlf that.

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not a sensor thing but the few people who could experience this may be sensors, the most of them, of course an intuitive can have synesthetes. But synesthetetes is about our five sense, or five sense start to change.

And I'm not even saying you're a sensor or anything it you're asking youserlf that.
No. I know I'm not a sensor. That's impossible.
The way I understand it synesthesia is the crossing of sensory pathways: "Increased cross-talk between regions specialized for different functions may account for the many types of synesthesia."

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
B also seems red to me for some reason, and triceratops seems like a yellow word. This is fun xD
Hmm...for some reason B doesn't really have a color for me. I think it used to be robin's egg blue...A is red, though.
Triceratops is a yellow-orange color. :)

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
In stressful situations and intense concentration, strings of numbers mentally appear "in the background" that are related in some way to the thoughts. All I can see is that the length and randomness or order of the digits reflects the complexity of the problem. And in idle woolgathering the numbers appear in patterns - the only pattern I have see repeated and identified is that an attractive woman appears as a palindromic number.

When relaxed and in casual conversation, mental images related to the words I hear are present - usually, an image of the object discussed. But often it is some abstraction or a pun.
Never colors - I cannot mentally call up the appearance of a color. I can imagine clear blue skies and green grass and red clay hillsides, but not a color from its name.
All this is nonintrusive and does not remain if "looked at.'

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Autonomous sensory meridian response - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought I had synesthesia and perhaps I do, but I think I have something called autonomous sensory meridian response which is more of a textile feelings from images and sounds that I will feel normally over my face and head, but sometimes my body and arms too.

They seem akin to each other but mine is definitely textile.

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Logic is a green word, word is a gray word, gray is a white word and dolphin is fluorescent pink for some reason
Logic is definitely green! Word is certainly (dark) gray. Gray is pale pink - grey is white or very pale gray (I've always proffered the spelling "grey"). Dolphin is pale yellow-green.

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
People are probably thinking we're both insane right now, by the way insane is a red word xD
Hahaha! Don't I know it! But I'm used to it...
And insane is a red word...

Reactions: Vishnushiva

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yay! I'm glad I stumbled on this thread! I've been longing to discuss synesthesia and intuition!

Pink Red Magenta Violet Purple

I have a completely different color palette than you guys for letters and numbers, above are for example the hues "a" takes depending on the word. I think this difference comes partly from the fact that french is my mothertongue and frenchs relate differently to vowels and consonants. For some reason the hues change slightly when I write or read in german and english. Surprisingly, english has a higher contrast and higher saturation to me, it feels kind of like this :

Violet Purple Blue Orange Red

German, on the other hand, with its overrepresentation of "e" and "r" and "n" is very earth/foresty to me, something like this :

Green Brown Pattern Wood Wood stain

I've also read (in the book below ;) ) that synesthetes often develop very accute sensitivity to colours, have you guys tried to test your colour differenciation skills?

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yay! I'm glad I stumbled on this thread! I've been longing to discuss synesthesia and intuition!

View attachment 92796

I have a completely different color palette than you guys for letters and numbers, above are for example the hues "a" takes depending on the word. I think this difference comes partly from the fact that french is my mothertongue and frenchs relate differently to vowels and consonants. For some reason the hues change slightly when I write or read in german and english. Surprisingly, english has a higher contrast and higher saturation to me, it feels kind of like this :

View attachment 92797

German, on the other hand, with its overrepresentation of "e" and "r" and "n" is very earth/foresty to me, something like this :

View attachment 92798

I've also read (in the book below ;) ) that synesthetes often develop very accute sensitivity to colours, have you guys tried to test your colour differenciation skills?

Wow, cool! Your perception of color difference in language is fascinating. I don't know any other language yet, but I'd really love to learn one, and this make me even more interested.
I just took the test and came back with a score of 7 (and tired eyes!). The lowest score is 0, so I think that is pretty good. Thanks for pointing this out to me!
Your synesthesia seems quite a bit more pronounced/developed than mine. I think I've actually lost some of my ability to "see" colors with words/letters/numbers because I always thought I was crazy as a child and tried to train myself out of it...drat.
(I'll have to try to find that book so I can read it myself.)

Reactions: Charmian

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wow, cool! Your perception of color difference in language is fascinating. I don't know any other language yet, but I'd really love to learn one, and this make me even more interested.
I just took the test and came back with a score of 7 (and tired eyes!). The lowest score is 0, so I think that is pretty good. Thanks for pointing this out to me!
Your synesthesia seems quite a bit more pronounced/developed than mine. I think I've actually lost some of my ability to "see" colors with words/letters/numbers because I always thought I was crazy as a child and tried to train myself out of it...drat.
(I'll have to try to find that book so I can read it myself.)
Oh! Congratulations! 7 is a very good score!

I think you should not hesitate in learning a new language, especially as a synesthete, because synesthesia is an immensely powerful language assimilation tool. Latin was much easier for me than most, where every one had to remember declensions the hard way "rosa rosa rosam rosae rosae rosa" I just had a picture in my mind (pink pink orange red red pink), just from the hue of the word I already knew its case. Orthography is really easy too because you immediately see when the word is not right. I still cannot conceive how can people mistake "than" and "then". Coral pink and dark green--not the same thing! hahahaha ;)

I actually discovered I had synesthesia when a friend of mine came close to accusing me of folly when I asked her "so, what colours have numbers for you". I thought everyone saw numbers with colours. Then another friend who had witnessed the uncomfortable exchange did some research and found out that what I had was called synesthesia. I have since then discovered two friends who have it, and just talking about has helped me become more aware of it. I think the same way you can try to repress your synesthesia you can try to hone it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts