Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4w5
1,535 Posts
Um, definitely not like that. For some reason, that whole thing looks and feels disgusting and creepy. I'm speaking from my honest, immediate feelings when seeing those pictures. I felt very uncomfortable just looking at them.

My father and I are friends, we have a good relationship. He's most likely an ENTJ type 5. I am most likely an INFP type 4w5, but I don't really consider my MBTI anymore.

We "bonded" through lots of trips to the forest. We slept in tents with the family, went fishing, climbing etc. Lots of outside activities. He has always been very clear about that we need to grow as our own individuals and we need the freedom to explore and learn on our own rather than to be strictly disiplined.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I'm not the person you want to be asking that question, and probably one of the lesser "qualified" to respond but I will anyways.

My father bonded with me by buying me stuff. I was a girl. To him, buying things and giving me actual money replaced him. And, to that it extent, it did. I took what I got.

I'll be coming back here to be super envious of everyone else's dads. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Reactions: FlaviaGemina

·
Registered
680 Posts
When I was really young he had these cards with various military aircraft (and a few tanks and ships) that he'd go through with me. He'd let me help him paint and or change the oil in the car. We'd play fight and he taught me how to defend myself if I ever needed it. I had those I Spy books that we'd do together. Sometimes he'd play video games with me. I'd go with him when he went golfing and drive the golf cart.

So, I guess we just did stuff together and he'd teach me things. We certainly didn't do anything like those photos. Those are disturbing just to look at.

·
MOTM Jan 2015
10,473 Posts
My parents always kind of treated me like a little adult while simultaneously sheltering me in other ways.

I remember I used to watch Star Trek with my dad when I was like four. He was big into Sci-Fi. We'd cut up watermelon for it, I remember that too. I also remember when he forced my sister and I to partake in a Star Wars marathon when I was a little older, lol.

He used to do push ups every morning before work when I was really little, and my mom has always been a 5 am type riser, so I remember I'd be up with her (and subsequently him) a lot. I have fond memories of laying on his back to add resistance and thinking he was super strong and cool, especially when he'd do them one handed :p We used to play this game "dragon" too where my sister and I would look for him around the house and he'd jump out and scare us.

He helped a lot with homework. I always thought he was a really good teacher. I feel like we bonded again, especially, several years ago. I started staffing for people who were a part of his world as a profession (he's a software architect) so we had more conversation points. We actually had unofficial wine nights for a while too, lol. On laptops, watching comedy shows. We have a similar sense of humor, and a similar drive to do research into everything all the time. It was a friendly mix of connect-disconnect, but company.

I felt like we bonded when he took tests here. He's Ni dom too. We were playing Apples to Apples a few months ago and he kept picking the weirdest cards for me - that I'd end up choosing, lol. My mom was like - "ooh, maybe it's that Ni thing" lol. I've tried to get everyone into typology.

I don't think those pictures are creepy necessarily either. Our society is so obsessed with sex now that other kinds of affection aren't as compartmentalized for a lot of people I think.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We'd walk around checking the fenceline for breaks (we live on a farm), he'd point out the wildlife and the sorts of trees. We went four-wheeler riding a lot, gardened some, hunted some, fished some. Now we talk about how our days go. We joke around a lot. When I'm really stressed out and can't deal (which has happened twice in my entire life), my dad always sits with me and talks with me until I feel better. I make him coffee and sandwiches and hot chocolate when he's working outside, he thanks me for it and talks about whatever project he's working on. At family gatherings and things, we usually stand off to the side and talk to each other a lot. Neither of us are very social, haha.

Honestly, my dad's probably one of my best friends, and I can't remember a time when he hasn't been.

Now, about those photos! God, how is that even a thing?! My dad would probably laugh himself silly looking at those. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My dad and I weren't particularly close until I was around 20. We got along normally and time spent together was usually just simple things like watching TV or going out to eat. During my awful teenage years there was a lot of friction between my mum(INFJ) and I(INTP) and every once in a while we'd have serious talks about that. Since Dad's an ISTP he could explain things to me from a perspective I could understand better, and since we're both introverted and don't do much in the way of emotions/affection, a lot of the problems me and mum were having were things the two of them had had problems with as well.

When I got older we started talking more and now we get along really well. Our relationship isn't particularly emotional and if he sees me in a mood he knows me well enough to know I need to process things on my own and will let me stay in my room and text me if there's food. We have similar taste in TV and humour and things so we'll watch shows or movies together, and will go out grocery shopping and the like. Sometimes we go out to breakfast. It's very simple and comfortable for both of us and honestly I think it'd be weird if it was any other way. We're both pretty low maintenance people who don't need a lot of affection or attention so we make a good team. I listen to him when he goes on about his tractors and patterns he's noticed in advertising, and he humours me when I go off on a tangent about some weird idea I've had about something. He sends me pictures off his camera phone and makes witty comments when I send him some off mine. It's excellent.

·
MOTM June 2015
4,393 Posts
I loved my dad, but never really felt particularly close to him. He has been gone now for more than a decade. Our relationship was quite rocky. Bad enough that counseling was necessary. I spent the majority of my teen years desperately trying to make him proud of me by doing things that appealed to him. I hated most sports, yet I participated in track, volleyball, softball, and basketball. He lived for sports and I saw it as a way to try to make him proud of me. Other than softball, I wasn't particularly good at any of these sports since most require you to be aggressive, and I am not very aggressive. I was miserable participating in all of these things. Since I wasn't very good at most of them I failed to make him proud of me.

I remember after a particularly bad basketball game I said to him, "well, I'm not very good am I?" When he agreed, I was torn between being relieved that I could quit, and sad that he didn't say something like, "no, but we can work on it together." Softball was really the only thing I was good at. I even played with my dad on a mixed team(myself and one other woman). I did manage to make him proud of me a couple of times. One time we played a team that we hadn't played before, and when the guys on the other team saw a woman come up to bat they all moved forward. I hit the ball over their heads and ended up with a triple. It was great, because my dad loved it.

I also hated fishing, but I remember going with him and standing barefoot in nasty water by a log that I was convinced was full of all types of nasty things (snakes, etc.). We had to stand in the mucky muddy water so that we could cast our line over the log. I hated touching fishing worms and especially hated running a hook through them. I took a plastic bag with me so that I could put it on my hand so as not to touch the worms. My dad and I caught loads of fish. To put this into perspective, I was terrified of bugs, snakes, worms, etc. but it made my dad happy for me to do this, so I endured standing in nasty pond water. He talked about how much fun it was for a very long time. I really didn't enjoy it at all, other than getting to be with my dad.

Then there was the time he took my sister and I squirrel hunting with him. Boy was that a disaster, we didn't want him to shoot the squirrels so we made lots of noise to scare them away. He ended up making us sit in the car by ourselves while he continued hunting. We proceeded to blow the car horn so that we could save the squirrels. He never took us hunting again. I have another sister that he taught how to skin squirrels. He was proud of her. I found out years later that she found it disgusting to do, but wanted dad to be proud of her.

My dad was pretty tough at times. He raised rabbits, and he told us not to make pets of them because they would end up on the table, but we did anyway. Then when he butchered them I didn't want to eat them. I remember one time I looked at a plate of meat and I said I didn't want any. I thought it was one of our bunnies. My dad said if you don't eat this I will make you eat rabbit. He led me to believe it wasn't our bunny and that if I didn't eat it he would make me eat the rabbit. So I complied, then he said see bunny meat taste pretty good. I wanted to throw up.

Mostly my dad and I argued. I think some of this was stoked by my mom treating me as a confidante. She vented her gripes about dad to me. This of course didn't help my relationship with him at all. My mom was wrong to do this. Children should not be used as counselors for their parents. Our relationship improved after I moved out, when I married my husband. I was 20.

As far as the other thread referenced in the OP, my husband and I didn't do this with our daughter, but at least these dads are trying. It also sounds like they are doing this at the urging of their wives. It also sounds like it was the mothers idea. Maybe this isn't the best method, but I won't cast dispersion's on something I know so little about. I am envious of girls whose dad try to form loving bonds with them. Dad's who only want the best for their daughters. The dad's in the other thread may not be getting everything right or perfect, but at least their intentions are good and they want what they believe is best for their daughters.

·
Banned
3,644 Posts
We bonded through the few hours we would hang out and watch tv together or go fishing and play board games or something before he'd pass out unconscious and high when he should have been watching my sister and I. Then we bonded through written letters passed through prison walls. The end.
/lol

Shit happens.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
When I was little: playing board games with me and helping me with my homework and art. He told me later he struggled a bit with bonding with me in this time, because he thought I was too young to really talk with about things that he was interested in, and I wasn't interested in sports so any efforts in that area failed.

Now that I'm older: music, discussions about politics/religion/various social issues, gardening, just talking in general. We have a much easier time now. Helps that we can relate to each other a lot as Fi-doms, although the Se-Ni/Ne-Si clash would catch me off-guard until I figured out his MBTI type.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Following on from this:
http://personalitycafe.com/current-events/555930-photographing-virgins-america-s-purity-balls-6.html

How did your fathers bond with you when you were little and when you were a teenager?
This is the creepiest thing I've seen in a long time.

My parents and I aren't particularly close but I'm on ok terms with them. My father never made any particular effort to bond with me, neither did I (at least not since I was a toddler). I used to play with him as a toddler/child and we'd create these elaborate alternative worlds which was fun. Since I've grown up we have had the ocassional heart-to-heart talk over a bear or two but my dad isn't much of s feeler and isn't great at showing and dealing with emotions. So to show that he cares he buys me stuff that makes me happy. I can't remember him ever saying that he loves me (which my mom says constantly to me) but he obviously does because he works a lot in oder for me to have a more privilaged life than he had at my age.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The first 7 to 9 years of my existence, he was very attentive with me. He took me to the parks, doctors' appointments (I was a sickly child), attended most of my school functions, etc. When I started puberty and my body began changing, he stopped being attentive and ignored me throughout my teenage years. By the time I was 20, we were complete strangers to each other.

Now, our relationship is non-existent.:crying:

Reactions: FlaviaGemina

·
MOTM Sept 2014
8,492 Posts
My dad and I have been close since day one, and still are. We've always had almost a buddy/friendship dynamic, although with the paternal protectiveness aspect there as well. He worries about me still, even though he knows I can take care of myself. He is an ISTJ and I think he feels an ongoing responsibility to his children, which isn't a bad thing. He's not overbearing about it. He's just always insisting on checking the brakes on my car and stuff. Haha.

Some of my earliest memories of my dad are "the steamroller" (I used to lay on the bed and he'd roll over top of me, and I'd scream but for some reason thought it was hilarious), getting up at the crack of dawn to watch Hawaii Five-0, playing street hockey with the stick he bought me when he still thought I was a boy (I came out a girl, despite predictions), going fishing at our "secret spot" (in retrospect, wasn't very secret at all - but it felt special and magical at the time), sitting in the garage next to him and passing him tools while he fixed our car, cheating on science projects (he's an engineer and he would help me rig up some awesome stuff). Then as I got older we would go to concerts together, read the same books and talk about them, travel, go hiking. We're both mega competitive and are known for our epic Trivial Pursuit showdowns. My mom threw out Risk though after the Christmas Incident of 2012. Apparently she can't trust us not to kill each other after that game.

I have to say that the virtue ball, or whatever the heck it was, did strike me as a bit odd. I am cautious to make it into something gross or creepy though. Come on, those are their daughters. I don't think its meant to be creepy. I think the washed out photography and the barren landscape really didn't help matters. The actual premise isn't as creepy as it looks. I highly doubt there is anything sexual about it (besides it being sort of about sex, but you know what I mean). It bothers me that we're so quick in our society to slap the creepy label on everything. I remember once in high school saying that I went down to the States with my dad to look at a car and we shared a bed in the hotel room. I didn't even think anything of it, I just mentioned it in passing, but all my female friends said that was super creepy and disgusting. I was baffled. He's my dad. What's the big deal? It was a king size bed, plenty of room. Do most people go their whole lives with no physical contact or proximity to their parents at all? I don't get it. So anyway, that virtue ball thing does seem a bit off to me, but I wonder if I'm not doing to them exactly what my friends did to me. Which is make a big something out of nothing because of different upbringing.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My dad and I have a decent relationship. He's ESTP. He's prone to exploding into anger over nothing, but at his best, he's always cracking jokes. He was very present in my childhood too, and played with me and liked to hug and hold me. He was always concerned for my well-being and always at the ready to "protect" or "help".

I guess I can't complain. He takes his role seriously.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts