Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Empathizing things is quite common for me. But sometimes it's the synthesis of pessimism and empathy. Say for example, when I'm in the normal mood, sometimes I tend to think of 'negative' things like loosing my closed ones, and I imagine their death. Sometimes,it's quite like a fantasy where I clearly see them dying and I can clearly feel that pain of loosing a closed one. These thoughts really doesn't scare me at all, rather it makes me prepare for anything that future will give me, whether good or bad.
Can anyone of you relate to this?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, nice insights. >_< No idea of this eh?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Empathizing things is quite common for me. But sometimes it's the synthesis of pessimism and empathy. Say for example, when I'm in the normal mood, sometimes I tend to think of 'negative' things like loosing my closed ones, and I imagine their death. Sometimes,it's quite like a fantasy where I clearly see them dying and I can clearly feel that pain of loosing a closed one. These thoughts really doesn't scare me at all, rather it makes me prepare for anything that future will give me, whether good or bad.
Can anyone of you relate to this?
Definitely. Although there is a sense of fear. I never want that to happen. That's the truth. I know it could happen. It does prepare me, though, as well, and somehow that comforts me. I think that aspect relates more to the fact that I'm a Six than an ENFP, really. ^_^ But anyway, the thoughts don't have to be negative for me to empathize.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I absolutely empathize by making a situation personal. Sometimes I'll imagine a scenario just to feel an emotion attributed with it (that and I used to believe that if I pictured a negative scenario happening, it wouldn't be able to happen). But I think the experience of the emotion is the biggest part of it....like catharsis or something.

I sometimes imagine someone trying to mug me or hurt my family....and it fills me with rage. My bf's ENFP brother calls it Berzerker Rage, where there's no thought, just a feral desire to attack and harm.

I sometimes put myself in the place of someone who's experienced tragedy (real or fictional) and it hurts like I'm the one who lost something or someone.

I was thinking about making a comic, and before I even started, I began imagining what it would be like to see people at a convention dressed as my characters. XD It made me squee like it was real.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Julia Bell- ah there, another six. Didn't notice your enneagram before. :p

Alysaria said:
I absolutely empathize by making a situation personal. Sometimes I'll imagine a scenario just to feel an emotion attributed with it (that and I used to believe that if I pictured a negative scenario happening, it wouldn't be able to happen). But I think the experience of the emotion is the biggest part of it....like catharsis or something.

I sometimes imagine someone trying to mug me or hurt my family....and it fills me with rage. My bf's ENFP brother calls it Berzerker Rage, where there's no thought, just a feral desire to attack and harm.

I sometimes put myself in the place of someone who's experienced tragedy (real or fictional) and it hurts like I'm the one who lost something or someone.

I was thinking about making a comic, and before I even started, I began imagining what it would be like to see people at a convention dressed as my characters. XD It made me squee like it was real.
lol, yes. All these thoughts generally occurs in my mind at midnight (awesome time) and I feel good. lol What not I do, fight the battle, cry for someone..be the villain and hero..etc. :p

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I defintiely do this as well...I think it's a protective mechanism. It's a way for me to prepare just in case those situations happen to me. It's almost like I want to feel it so that I'll know what I'm up against in the event it occurs in reality.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Yes, in a nutshell. I imagine all sorts of stuff like that do that I can be prepared for any eventuality. I also like to think how I'd react in a set of circumstances. However, I'm a pretty tranquil person in general. One of my friends called me callous recently because when they were complaining about something in their life, I imagined what my reaction would be, and told them that IMO the problems they complained of were a case of requiring an acceptance that world does what the world does. So maybe this trait has desensitised me to a certain extent?

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
Are you an enneagram type 6?

oh, and yes I do relate.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, in a nutshell. I imagine all sorts of stuff like that do that I can be prepared for any eventuality. I also like to think how I'd react in a set of circumstances. However, I'm a pretty tranquil person in general. One of my friends called me callous recently because when they were complaining about something in their life, I imagined what my reaction would be, and told them that IMO the problems they complained of were a case of requiring an acceptance that world does what the world does. So maybe this trait has desensitised me to a certain extent?
Yes for me. A lot. I feel better.

starri said:
Are you an enneagram type 6?
Yep. 6w5. Do sixes think like this often?

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
Yep. 6w5. Do sixes think like this often?
I do, a lot (type 6w7). I would imagine it has more to do with the 6 than the ENFP.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I don't necessarily do it to prepare myself. I usually think of these scenarios just to simply feel. The feelings that scenarios like that give me remind me of how important my friends and family are to me. I need to remind myself of how mucht they mean sometimes so that I don't take anything for granted.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I think there's a common misconception that introverted feelers are selfish and can't identify with the emotions of others. Supposedly for them, emotions are just a self-absorbed way to make judgments about the world. I don't think this is true at all; it might manifest in those with Fi lower on their function order, but I think everyone is capable of empathy (barring those who actually lack the psychological capability).

What I notice is that while Fe is simply spread out to more people. The sort of feeling that an ENFJ has, for example, is not so much deep as it is wide. They're openly empathetic because they're in tune to the general emotions of everyone around them. Someone with Fi, by contrast, can easily be empathetic but in a different way. Relating to others through Fi is more about reaching out to each individual, rather than the collective. And while it may be a narrower focus, it is made up for in depth. My ENFP is very empathetic, it's just less about the direct expression of emotion by either party and more about deeply feeling what the other is going through, by reflecting internally on what that would be like. She can feel worse about a situation I'm in than I do, and I think that's partially because I have feeling so low on my function order and because it's extraverted, so I am quite clueless when it comes to my own emotions. It's perhaps not as much feeling directly what someone else is feeling, but more feeling what one would feel in the same situation; I think both are very much definitive of empathy.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think there's a common misconception that introverted feelers are selfish and can't identify with the emotions of others. Supposedly for them, emotions are just a self-absorbed way to make judgments about the world. I don't think this is true at all; it might manifest in those with Fi lower on their function order, but I think everyone is capable of empathy (barring those who actually lack the psychological capability).

What I notice is that while Fe is simply spread out to more people. The sort of feeling that an ENFJ has, for example, is not so much deep as it is wide. They're openly empathetic because they're in tune to the general emotions of everyone around them. Someone with Fi, by contrast, can easily be empathetic but in a different way. Relating to others through Fi is more about reaching out to each individual, rather than the collective. And while it may be a narrower focus, it is made up for in depth. My ENFP is very empathetic, it's just less about the direct expression of emotion by either party and more about deeply feeling what the other is going through, by reflecting internally on what that would be like. She can feel worse about a situation I'm in than I do, and I think that's partially because I have feeling so low on my function order and because it's extraverted, so I am quite clueless when it comes to my own emotions. It's perhaps not as much feeling directly what someone else is feeling, but more feeling what one would feel in the same situation; I think both are very much definitive of empathy.
I didn't ask for the difference of Fe's and Fi's empathy.
Check out my first post, since I can guess that you didn't.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I didn't ask for the difference of Fe's and Fi's empathy.
Check out my first post, since I can guess that you didn't.
I did read your first post... I just thought I would outline my thoughts on the ways both types of feeling can empathize. I wasn't responding directly to the initial prompt (though I believe I did touch on what seems to be the case with others who posted), but rather using the backdrop of the typical connotations of Fe as being more empathetic to say that I think Fi is equally capable.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did read your first post... I just thought I would outline my thoughts on the ways both types of feeling can empathize. I wasn't responding directly to the initial prompt (though I believe I did touch on what seems to be the case with others who posted), but rather using the backdrop of the typical connotations of Fe as being more empathetic to say that I think Fi is equally capable.
So can you relate to this?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
So can you relate to this?
Evidently I don't have Fi, so no. I speak only from experience interacting with introverted feelers, and that's all I have. It seems maybe that wasn't what you were looking for, and if so, I apologize.

Reactions: liza_200
1 - 16 of 16 Posts