Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. And thanks for clicking my headline.

A Saturday late night post is a terrible way to catch anyone's notice, but the fact that I am sitting here typing this ALONE on a Saturday late night--and that this isn't the least bit atypical--gives a better indication of my temperament than anything I could write on some sunrise-fresh Summer morning.

Test results indicate that I have strong preferences for "N" and "P". However, the I/E and F/T habitually lounge on the border, feet dangling. Ocassionally one of them leans forward or back, reacting to nebulous shifts in algorithm or blood sugar.

My enneagram type seems to be in the 4w5/5w4 range, but in browsing the forum, I've seen threads pointing out mistyping tendencies, so maybe I'm another thing altogether.

So on with it already, right? Here we go! Whee(ze)...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I'm a woman. Age 31. No medications or (known) mental illnesses. But I'm naturally moody, and right now I feel misunderstood and disconnected. Would that be a special life circumstance or just human?

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

7462535174_4b7b4841d9.jpg

I wonder if someone burst and this came out. I wonder if a ghost spunked. I wonder if the light trails are from tiny superheroes zooming to the rescue. I think about how great it would be if showers were like this. Then I think it might only seem great until it became the norm, and then maybe it's greatness wouldn't be noticed at all. I wonder what the photo would look like if there were more juxtaposition/contrast between the room and its bright, warm elements.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

If it's urgent, I'd toss out the option of calling for help and randomly choosing someone to stay behind with the car while the rest of us hitchhike. We could record the show and bring back something they'll like, to thank them for their help (and if I were the one left behind, I would request a video).

But if there were loads of time, we could just call and play games until help arrived.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I'd go. There could be something I wouldn't expect. Or maybe I'd meet someone interesting.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

I'd tell them what I believe, and I'd ask questions to find out why they believe what they do.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

Not sure what "clashes" entails. Do you mean I assume grass can only be green and one day I see grass with burgundy stripes? I'd enthusiastically embrace my new knowledge of grass and try to find out what produces that color.

Or do you mean if I believe animals shouldn't be tortured and I saw one being tortured? I'd try to stop it.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Things like: discovery, creativity, fulfillment, compassion, mercy... I just observe what drives me. My values could shift if my feelings changed. However, a change in my feelings about compassion and forgiveness would mean I've transmogrified into someone entirely different ... like, a root-level change ... like, a tree-drifting-down-river change.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

I think everyone is distinguished from everyone by a universe of tiny differences. Tweak a variable, and travel from Joe to Juliet. I seem to be more sensitive than most people I've met ... not to stimuli (sounds, etc), but to something I have difficulty pinpointing ... maybe a hypersensitivity to the human condition.

If I could change one thing about myself, I'd want to enjoy people's company more than I do. I like people from a distance, but it falls apart on contact. I've always struggled with relationships (of all kinds).

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I'm more about gut feelings than hunches. I make that distinction to emphasize their subjectivity. It's about whether something is right FOR ME. For instance, if I get a strong feeling about someone, I don't take this to mean anything objective about the guy. But the pull toward certain qualities is almost devouring and pelvic. "The thing" desires more than I could want anything consciously.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

I like imagining what unseen things could be true ... imagining things differently ... wondering what those differences could mean. I could literally do that for hours.

I get excited when I have the opportunity to up-end some belief/perspective I have. I really really really get SUCH a rush out of a moment when I realize how wrong I've been. I recently found out the brain itself is responsive to light. I imagined the brain existing so long in darkness, deprived of its joy, because no one understood this thing that was true the entire time. Things like that give me a thrill.

But's more about the discovery itself than any actual knowledge. Knowing something doesn't excite me. It's the act of finding something new.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I often hold back my observations about people, because I've found this can make them uncomfortable. There are also many other things I don't express to people because they won't care or understand, so it seems pointless.

I'm a pretty talkative person though. I only go silent when I enter Withdrawal Mode ™ ... I never know that's where I'm heading until BAM! I'm in it. : P

Is this enough to determine my functions? If not, I'll add anything else that could clarify things. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just took the forum's cognitive quiz, and this is my result...

Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
Most Likely: ENFP
or Second Possibility: INFJ
or Third Possibility: INFP

Your cognitive functions are, in order of development:
Ne - Ni - Fi - Ti - Fe - Se - Te - Si

Your Cognitive Functions:
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) ||||||||||||||||||||||| 10.58
Introverted Intuition (Ni) |||||||||||||||||| 8.255
Introverted Feeling (Fi) ||||||||||||||||| 7.54
Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||||| 7.38
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) |||||| 2.45
Extroverted Sensation (Se) ||| 0.8
Extroverted Thinking (Te) || 0.16
Introverted Sensation (Si) |||| -3.23

Your Extroverted Intuition (Ne) is very developed.
Your Introverted Intuition (Ni) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Sensation (Se) is moderate.
Your Introverted Thinking (Ti) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Thinking (Te) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Feeling (Fe) is moderate.
Your Introverted Feeling (Fi) is moderate.
Your Introverted Sensation (Si) is poorly developed.

Not sure what to make of this. :unsure:

·
Registered
130 Posts
You are definitely a Feeler and most likely a Perceiver. Judging by the way you write, ENFP sounds just about right to me.

You can take the enneagram test to help you clarify (or mix you up even more :p )

·
Banned
446 Posts
I just took the forum's cognitive quiz, and this is my result...

Based on your cognitive functions, your type is most likely:
Most Likely: ENFP
or Second Possibility: INFJ
or Third Possibility: INFP

Your cognitive functions are, in order of development:
Ne - Ni - Fi - Ti - Fe - Se - Te - Si

Your Cognitive Functions:
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) ||||||||||||||||||||||| 10.58
Introverted Intuition (Ni) |||||||||||||||||| 8.255
Introverted Feeling (Fi) ||||||||||||||||| 7.54
Introverted Thinking (Ti) |||||||||||||||| 7.38
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) |||||| 2.45
Extroverted Sensation (Se) ||| 0.8
Extroverted Thinking (Te) || 0.16
Introverted Sensation (Si) |||| -3.23

Your Extroverted Intuition (Ne) is very developed.
Your Introverted Intuition (Ni) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Sensation (Se) is moderate.
Your Introverted Thinking (Ti) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Thinking (Te) is moderate.
Your Extroverted Feeling (Fe) is moderate.
Your Introverted Feeling (Fi) is moderate.
Your Introverted Sensation (Si) is poorly developed.

Not sure what to make of this. :unsure:

When you say you like people better from afar...do you mean to say that you do not like the clingy-ness of human relationships, that you feel better without the melancholy of the human soul, you prefer to explore and know different, bright people after a while instead of sticking around in a moody relationship...or do you mean that you find most people rather superficial and immoral, and that you would rather be on your own than go on in adventures with them?

EDIT: ENFP is the most likely, yes.

·
Banned
600 Posts
@StellarTwirl, ENFP almost without a doubt. I thoroughly enjoyed the Ne-fest. :3 The Fi/Te dichotomy also becomes obvious when it comes to your comments on values. Being Ne-dom also explains why your test results vary the way they do. You've probably started to develop Te.

Thank you for the eye-catching thread title too! What kind of doubts do you have about your type, if any? There are plenty of threads on PerC that can clear them up. =)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are definitely a Feeler and most likely a Perceiver. Judging by the way you write, ENFP sounds just about right to me.

You can take the enneagram test to help you clarify (or mix you up even more :p )
:laughing: ...to the bolded. It wouldn't take much for me to seriously consider any type someone could suggest (enneagram 1 ISTP, anyone? :tongue:)

What about my post seems ENFP-ish? What patterns have you noticed? I'm curious.

Wherever insights are available, I'll be there: napkin haphazardly tucked into collar, three forks per hand. Then I'll feel silly when I remember I can't use forks to read. : P

This is my enneagram test score...

You are a Type 5 with a 4 wing: "The Iconoclast"

Your tritype is 5w4, 4w5, 9w8.

In enneagram theory, you have one type for how you relate to the world (either 8, 9, or 1), one type for how you think (5, 6, 7) and one type for how you see yourself (2, 3, 4.) Your tri-type contains one number from each of these triads. They are listed in the order of how strongly they present in your personality.

Your core type (your strongest type) is Type 5 with a 4 wing: Type Five individuals are cerebral, intelligent, and complex. Type Five is often called the Investigator type, because they are constantly trying to learn more about the world. To a Five, knowledge is power, and knowing more about the world around them makes the world a safer place. It’s common for a Five to withdraw into their own thoughts and ruminate on intricate ideas and concepts. Type Fives, when they are in a growth state, become self-confident and authoritative like a Type Eight. When they are stressed, Type Fives become scattered like an unhealthy Type Seven. You are a Type Five with a Four wing, which means that the cerebral nature of Type Five combines with the creative nature of a Type Four. For this reason, you are likely to challenge established ideas with new and fresh concepts.

Your second type (your next strongest type) is Type 4 with a 5 wing: Type Four individuals are intensely emotionally aware, and often retreat to their rich inner world of concepts and ideas. They are the most artistic type in the Enneagram and driven to create their own, unique identity. Type Fours value authenticity highly and express themselves whenever they can. They are one of the most individualistic types in the Enneagram. Type Fours, when in a state of growth, become principled like Type Ones. When stressed, Type Fours can become clingy like an unhealthy Type Two. You are a Type Four with a Five wing, which means that the individualist nature of a Four combines with the cerebral nature of a Five to make you one of the most creative types in the Enneagram.

Your third type (the least-used of the three) is Type 9 with a 8 wing: Nines are receptive, easygoing, and loveable. Out of all the types in the Enneagram, they have a special ability to get along with others. For this reason, they’re often skilled mediators, resolving conflicts both within themselves and among others. Nines value peace, especially inner peace, very highly. When in a state of growth, Nines become energetic and driven like Type Threes. When stressed, Nines become anxious like an unhealthy Type Six. You are a Type Nine with an Eight wing, which means that the harmonious traits of the Nine merge with the aggressive traits of the Eight. Inner peace is your goal, but if something is challenging that peace, your Eight wing means that you’ll stand up and deal with the situation assertively and decisively.

Some words that describe you: relaxed, peaceful, harmonious, creative, unique, authentic, emotional, intelligent, cerebral, questioning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regarding that 5w4 description, I'm not sure a safe world is a notable consideration for me when considering ideas. I enjoy coming to an understanding but I also have some thoughts about the window of perception and the subjectivity of knowledge that would pretty much prevent me from viewing ideas that way. I don't know. I need to think about that one a bit further. (Is that the most unintentionally cliche type 5 response ever? Touche, ennea-test.)

When you say you like people better from afar...do you mean to say that you do not like the clingy-ness of human relationships, that you feel better without the melancholy of the human soul, you prefer to explore and know different, bright people after a while instead of sticking around in a moody relationship...or do you mean that you find most people rather superficial and immoral, and that you would rather be on your own than go on in adventures with them?

EDIT: ENFP is the most likely, yes.
I WANT closeness and intensity, but not if the connection is ... wrong. Sub-par relationships can make me feel dissatisfied and lonely in a way that's almost existential. It's like a descent into frigid water. I feel less lonely when I'm LITERALLY alone.

I'm not picky at all about who I'd go on adventures with though. With most people, that's the level of distance I prefer. When intimate, however, either it's right (<3) or it's a disaster.

Aren't ENFPs the People-People though? I don't see myself that way. I can be pretty awkward, particularly in group situations. I'm better one-on-one.

@StellarTwirl, ENFP almost without a doubt. I thoroughly enjoyed the Ne-fest. :3 The Fi/Te dichotomy also becomes obvious when it comes to your comments on values. Being Ne-dom also explains why your test results vary the way they do. You've probably started to develop Te.

Thank you for the eye-catching thread title too! What kind of doubts do you have about your type, if any? There are plenty of threads on PerC that can clear them up. =)
Thanks. :proud:

Right now, I'm wondering about an INFP possibility. What would be the biggest way to tell whether Ne is the first or second function? I'm wondering if the low Si score definitely rules out INFP.

·
Banned
446 Posts
:laughing: ...to the bolded. It wouldn't take much for me to seriously consider any type someone could suggest (enneagram 1 ISTP, anyone? :tongue:)

What about my post seems ENFP-ish? What patterns have you noticed? I'm curious.

Wherever insights are available, I'll be there: napkin haphazardly tucked into collar, three forks per hand. Then I'll feel silly when I remember I can't use forks to read. : P

This is my enneagram test score...

You are a Type 5 with a 4 wing: "The Iconoclast"

Your tritype is 5w4, 4w5, 9w8.

In enneagram theory, you have one type for how you relate to the world (either 8, 9, or 1), one type for how you think (5, 6, 7) and one type for how you see yourself (2, 3, 4.) Your tri-type contains one number from each of these triads. They are listed in the order of how strongly they present in your personality.

Your core type (your strongest type) is Type 5 with a 4 wing: Type Five individuals are cerebral, intelligent, and complex. Type Five is often called the Investigator type, because they are constantly trying to learn more about the world. To a Five, knowledge is power, and knowing more about the world around them makes the world a safer place. It’s common for a Five to withdraw into their own thoughts and ruminate on intricate ideas and concepts. Type Fives, when they are in a growth state, become self-confident and authoritative like a Type Eight. When they are stressed, Type Fives become scattered like an unhealthy Type Seven. You are a Type Five with a Four wing, which means that the cerebral nature of Type Five combines with the creative nature of a Type Four. For this reason, you are likely to challenge established ideas with new and fresh concepts.

Your second type (your next strongest type) is Type 4 with a 5 wing: Type Four individuals are intensely emotionally aware, and often retreat to their rich inner world of concepts and ideas. They are the most artistic type in the Enneagram and driven to create their own, unique identity. Type Fours value authenticity highly and express themselves whenever they can. They are one of the most individualistic types in the Enneagram. Type Fours, when in a state of growth, become principled like Type Ones. When stressed, Type Fours can become clingy like an unhealthy Type Two. You are a Type Four with a Five wing, which means that the individualist nature of a Four combines with the cerebral nature of a Five to make you one of the most creative types in the Enneagram.

Your third type (the least-used of the three) is Type 9 with a 8 wing: Nines are receptive, easygoing, and loveable. Out of all the types in the Enneagram, they have a special ability to get along with others. For this reason, they’re often skilled mediators, resolving conflicts both within themselves and among others. Nines value peace, especially inner peace, very highly. When in a state of growth, Nines become energetic and driven like Type Threes. When stressed, Nines become anxious like an unhealthy Type Six. You are a Type Nine with an Eight wing, which means that the harmonious traits of the Nine merge with the aggressive traits of the Eight. Inner peace is your goal, but if something is challenging that peace, your Eight wing means that you’ll stand up and deal with the situation assertively and decisively.

Some words that describe you: relaxed, peaceful, harmonious, creative, unique, authentic, emotional, intelligent, cerebral, questioning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regarding that 5w4 description, I'm not sure a safe world is a notable consideration for me when considering ideas. I enjoy coming to an understanding but I also have some thoughts about the window of perception and the subjectivity of knowledge that would pretty much prevent me from viewing ideas that way. I don't know. I need to think about that one a bit further. (Is that the most unintentionally cliche type 5 response ever? Touche, ennea-test.)

I WANT closeness and intensity, but not if the connection is ... wrong. Sub-par relationships can make me feel dissatisfied and lonely in a way that's almost existential. It's like a descent into frigid water. I feel less lonely when I'm LITERALLY alone.

I'm not picky at all about who I'd go on adventures with though. With most people, that's the level of distance I prefer. When intimate, however, either it's right (<3) or it's a disaster.

Aren't ENFPs the People-People though? I don't see myself that way. I can be pretty awkward, particularly in group situations. I'm better one-on-one.

Thanks. :proud:

Right now, I'm wondering about an INFP possibility. What would be the biggest way to tell whether Ne is the first or second function? I'm wondering if the low Si score definitely rules out INFP.

How do you relate with enneagram types 7 and 9 ?

·
Banned
600 Posts
Thanks.

There are several ways to go about it.

1) There are articles on how inferior Te and inferior Si manifest.

2) You could check the order of your functions based on Beebe's model.

3) You could try to remember the order in which your functions developed as a kid.

That's all off the top of my head, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The thread title and this
I'll be there: napkin haphazardly tucked into collar, three forks per hand. Then I'll feel silly when I remember I can't use forks to read. : P
and this
Ocassionally one of them leans forward or back, reacting to nebulous shifts in algorithm or blood sugar.
and the way you write overall are indicative of pronounced Ne dominance, sparkling with creativity and random playfulness. You are also Ne-philosophical (not to be confused with Ti)
Would that be a special life circumstance or just human?
I get an artistic vibe from you. You also seem to be a very, very clever person. Naturally intelligent people tend to be open-minded, curious and they enjoy to learn. That's maybe why you typed ennea 5.

Now, what makes you a feeler, selon moi, can be seen in the following quotes:

1) You think of your audience
A Saturday late night post is a terrible way to catch anyone's notice
and
So on with it already, right? Here we go! Whee(ze)
2) moodiness
I'm naturally moody, and right now I feel misunderstood and disconnected
3) You like to meet interesting people, the ones you judge as interesting (that's were Fi subjectivity comes into play)
Or maybe I'd meet someone interesting
4) Your values
fulfillment, compassion, mercy
That is about as Fi as one can get
My values could shift if my feelings changed
Fi described with Ti-like scientific terms, but still Fi
I think everyone is distinguished from everyone by a universe of tiny differences. Tweak a variable, and travel from Joe to Juliet. I seem to be more sensitive than most people I've met ... not to stimuli (sounds, etc), but to something I have difficulty pinpointing ... maybe a hypersensitivity to the human condition.
Knowing something doesn't excite me. It's the act of finding something new.
A Ti-user would probably be very excited just by knowing (especially if they discovered this knowledge themselves). To them knowledge is power in itself.

Fi again.

It's silly to doubt that you're a Ne-dom, it's obvious, it shows all over the place! Your Ti is in very good condition but your Fi is even stronger. I still don't get myself how that is possible, since those to functions are supposed to be mutually exclusive. If someone can enlight us on that, please do :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do you relate with enneagram types 7 and 9 ?
7 makes sense regarding mental activity, because I do seek out a LOT of mental stimulation (gorge on it, even). The thing that doesn't apply is constantly rushing around amongst 50 different activities. I'm looking more for a flow of new ideas.

9 sounds good in that they seem to be a highly imaginative type, and I'm definitely that. And they're good at understanding others' points of view, which is something I aim for. But I can't relate to the self-forgetting aspect. I don't forget myself AT ALL ... and I'd never want to be absorbed into someone else's agenda. I'm very conscious of my needs.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm getting a 5 score because of 7's integration line. Is it possible that a 7 in growth could look a 5 ... but one with an un-5-ish motivation for obtaining knowledge?

There are several ways to go about it.

1) There are articles on how inferior Te and inferior Si manifest.

2) You could check the order of your functions based on Beebe's model.

3) You could try to remember the order in which your functions developed as a kid.

That's all off the top of my head, I hope this helps.
This really helped me a lot! Of note: "As a general rule, it is relatively easy to shake people’s confidence in the area of their inferior function."

Oh god, that has to be Si. Something about the inferior-Te article seemed off. Then I read the one on inferior-Si.
Strumming my pain with his fingers... :laughing:

The thread title and this and this and the way you write overall are indicative of pronounced Ne dominance, sparkling with creativity and random playfulness. You are also Ne-philosophical (not to be confused with Ti)

I get an artistic vibe from you. You also seem to be a very, very clever person. Naturally intelligent people tend to be open-minded, curious and they enjoy to learn. That's maybe why you typed ennea 5.
Thanks. :kitteh: As mentioned above to Ludi, I'm now considering the possibility that I could actually be a (mature? guffaw) 7 in integration to 5.

How do Ne- and Ti- philosophies differ? Could Ne be more expansive while Ti is more restricted to a specific framework?

Now, what makes you a feeler, selon moi, can be seen in the following quotes:

1) You think of your audience and

2) moodiness

3) You like to meet interesting people, the ones you judge as interesting (that's were Fi subjectivity comes into play)

4) Your values

That is about as Fi as one can get

Fi described with Ti-like scientific terms, but still Fi

A Ti-user would probably be very excited just by knowing (especially if they discovered this knowledge themselves). To them knowledge is power in itself.

Fi again.

It's silly to doubt that you're a Ne-dom, it's obvious, it shows all over the place! Your Ti is in very good condition but your Fi is even stronger. I still don't get myself how that is possible, since those to functions are supposed to be mutually exclusive. If someone can enlight us on that, please do :)

This was amazing! Thank you so much. The break-down really helped me to see everything clearly.

Regarding the Ti: I have no idea, really. Looking at my own Ti-use, I tend to take things apart (figuratively) to understand how they work, and I have a strong talent for finding solutions. But maybe I'm not using Ti at all??

I'd never use Ti to make decisions though. Making choices without Fi's approval sounds off the alarm call, and I need my sleep. : P

You sure you're not ENFJ?
I haven't ruled it out, but I also haven't considered it heavily yet. What seems especially ENFJ-ish?

Aren't ENFJs socially directive? In a group of people, I'll often either go completely silent or wander off and do something on my own. I just don't get satisfaction from group dynamics.

But interacting with ONE person I feel a connection with is totally different. Bliss.

One exception to that social thing is that I can go a long time interacting briefly and shallowly with one person after another. I could go on like that indefinitely, spending only a few minutes with any one person before moving on, most people taking my high-energy level to mean I'm some blazing extrovert. The more prolonged time I spend with anyone I don't feel connected to, however, and the more silent I become.

Another exception is classroom situations. When I'm a student, I rapidly emerge as one of the most talkative ... always asking and answering questions.

Could the above apply to an ENFJ as well?

·
Faceless
7,169 Posts
7 makes sense regarding mental activity, because I do seek out a LOT of mental stimulation (gorge on it, even). The thing that doesn't apply is constantly rushing around amongst 50 different activities. I'm looking more for a flow of new ideas.

9 sounds good in that they seem to be a highly imaginative type, and I'm definitely that. And they're good at understanding others' points of view, which is something I aim for. But I can't relate to the self-forgetting aspect. I don't forget myself AT ALL ... and I'd never want to be absorbed into someone else's agenda. I'm very conscious of my needs.

I'm wondering if maybe I'm getting a 5 score because of 7's integration line. Is it possible that a 7 in growth could look a 5 ... but one with an un-5-ish motivation for obtaining knowledge?

This really helped me a lot! Of note: "As a general rule, it is relatively easy to shake people’s confidence in the area of their inferior function."

Oh god, that has to be Si. Something about the inferior-Te article seemed off. Then I read the one on inferior-Si.
Strumming my pain with his fingers... :laughing:

Thanks. :kitteh: As mentioned above to Ludi, I'm now considering the possibility that I could actually be a (mature? guffaw) 7 in integration to 5.

How do Ne- and Ti- philosophies differ? Could Ne be more expansive while Ti is more restricted to a specific framework?

This was amazing! Thank you so much. The break-down really helped me to see everything clearly.

Regarding the Ti: I have no idea, really. Looking at my own Ti-use, I tend to take things apart (figuratively) to understand how they work, and I have a strong talent for finding solutions. But maybe I'm not using Ti at all??

I'd never use Ti to make decisions though. Making choices without Fi's approval sounds off the alarm call, and I need my sleep. : P

I haven't ruled it out, but I also haven't considered it heavily yet. What seems especially ENFJ-ish?

Aren't ENFJs socially directive? In a group of people, I'll often either go completely silent or wander off and do something on my own. I just don't get satisfaction from group dynamics.

But interacting with ONE person I feel a connection with is totally different. Bliss.

One exception to that social thing is that I can go a long time interacting briefly and shallowly with one person after another. I could go on like that indefinitely, spending only a few minutes with any one person before moving on, most people taking my high-energy level to mean I'm some blazing extrovert. The more prolonged time I spend with anyone I don't feel connected to, however, and the more silent I become.

Another exception is classroom situations. When I'm a student, I rapidly emerge as one of the most talkative ... always asking and answering questions.

Could the above apply to an ENFJ as well?
I just asked because you didn't strike me as an Ne-dom. Maybe auxillary, but you don't seem to be an introvert either. ENFP or INFP would've been my next best choices. :O

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just asked because you didn't strike me as an Ne-dom. Maybe auxillary, but you don't seem to be an introvert either. ENFP or INFP would've been my next best choices. :O
It's like my test results came to life and posted this! :laughing: I get inconclusive xNxP results on every MBTI test I take. I'm fairly convinced now that I'm a feeler. And it's beginning to seem possible that I'm a bizarrely introverted ENFP.

I'll continue considering the potential for ENFJ though ... it could explain that high Ti score.

·
Faceless
7,169 Posts
It's like my test results came to life and posted this! :laughing: I get inconclusive xNxP results on every MBTI test I take. I'm fairly convinced now that I'm a feeler. And it's beginning to seem possible that I'm a bizarrely introverted ENFP.

I'll continue considering the potential for ENFJ though ... it could explain that high Ti score.
At the end of the day you'll figure it out at some point. Just interact with more people on here and look into the theory more. Good luck figuring out your type. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, exactly.

From my understanding, Ne is the enthusiastic kid that runs towards every new adventure, gets excited over 'the unknown' and hopes that every new element will be cooler from the previous and then makes connections just for the enjoyment of the game. It's scattered, it jumps, it gets fascinated and amazed with fresh ideas, deep and mysterious concepts, fantasy, etc.

Ti is the serious kid who seeks out new ways and possibilities (Ne aux in the INTP for example) but takes a step back and frowns sceptically. Ti's main concern is to figure out the system, to analyse the principles on which it works. This is a more detailed and methodical approach in comparison to how Ne works. It takes time and conscious effort. Ti does not seek enthusiasm but precision, it wants to get to the core, to reach the truth and form original principles. This means that the Ti dom user can become obsessed over a particular concept/idea, break it down and re-structure it a million times over in an effort to comprehend and reach the outcome he has in mind. That can make Ti appear boring, dogmatic and rigid sometimes.
Ne would be too impatient to stick on such a process for too long.

In brief

Ti: core/truth/comprehension of a system - ultimate goal is deep understanding and principle formation

Ne: enthousiasm/novelty/combination of different systems - ultimate goal is satisfaction of curiosity and stimulate the imagination

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Okay, I've been here a while now, and I've nailed down my tri-type (479).

I'm thinking I'm probably an INFP (despite relating far more to inferior-Si than to inferior-Te), because I've been feeling my way through the forums and something about the ENFP section doesn't feel right. That's the same way I've landed at being a core 4w5 ... just feeling around for what fits and what doesn't.

But if anyone who's good at sniffing out functions could take a quick glance at my post history, maybe you could give me an outside point of view of my type? Do you think I'm an INFP?

ADDING:

An incentive...

If you help me, they won't magically become real, but ignore that line. They'll become real.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You seem super Ne-dom to me. It's possible that you don't fit in with the ENFPs if you're a core 4 which makes you more contemplative and withdrawn. Maybe Bumblyjack could help you out. He's a 4w5 ENFP. ENFP 4w5s seem really different to me than INFP 4w5s.
I agree with all of this.

I'm thinking I'm probably an INFP (despite relating far more to inferior-Si than to inferior-Te), because I've been feeling my way through the forums and something about the ENFP section doesn't feel right. That's the same way I've landed at being a core 4w5 ... just feeling around for what fits and what doesn't.
The ENFP forum doesn't feel right to me either, what with the 7's, 6's, 3's, 9's, and 2's all over the place. I can't relate to any of them and I actually dislike and am strongly disliked by a few (which is no secret to anyone nor is it a concern for them or for me...oh, and sorry for this rant, it's my CP 6-fix). I identify with @chimeric to an extent though. She's a 4w3 ENFP, I believe. I can relate very strongly to what you've said in this thread except when it comes to your discussion of relationships and connecting with others. It just seems different than how I see mine.

Anyways, from reading your OP and your responses in this thread, I see ENFP and 4w5. Lots of Ne, plenty of Fi, some Te but not so much.

Your Ti is in very good condition but your Fi is even stronger. I still don't get myself how that is possible, since those to functions are supposed to be mutually exclusive. If someone can enlight us on that, please do :)
I notice the Ti too...and I also have well-developed Ti. According to Beebe's model (see link that was mentioned in a previous post), in an ENFP Ti is associated with the Trickster archetype. It serves a backup function where it supports and defends the more dominant functions. It is described as seeking to "double bind" others, essentially it is trying to undo enemies' traps and lay its own in defense. How this plays out for me, is that my Ti tries to look for holes in my claims, arguments, and explanations and tries to anticipate where they will be attacked and torn apart in a debate. Then I either shore up my weaknesses or selectively leave ones there so that I'm prepared for my defense.

All of that above is use in the pure Trickster sense, which would apply to common use for an ENFP or ESFP. The psyche is more adaptable than that, though. A 4w5 is trying to make sense of their own feelings and inner self. I believe this may call Ti into use more often, because the ego is in danger (which can really awaken the unconscious functions into expanded roles or conversely plunge them into deeper suppression, depending on the need). For me at least, my Ti aids me in interpreting my Fi judgments. Fi is so very ambiguous and difficult to quantify, qualify, and put into words...and as a 4w5 I have to know. I can't just take my own word for it, so to speak, I need to understand my feelings: what they are, why I feel that way, where it comes from, etc. For my ego, for my psyche, for my self, this is a life or death concern. I think this results in much greater Ti development than would be typical of a type with strong Fi.

I don't see 5w4, I see 4w5. Your pursuit of knowledge, learning, and understanding seems to ultimately be about trying to understand yourself (unless I'm just projecting my own motivations onto you).

This is some of the stuff I can't fully relate to. I'm not quite sure what strikes me the wrong way about it though. I think it just doesn't seem as (delusionally?) hopeful as my outlook. I want the perfect connection and I won't settle for less, but I often think I can fix something that's close and make it good enough. If some of the pieces are missing I won't be at all interested, but if they're all there I'll dive in enthusiastically no matter how badly out of place or damaged they are. Also, I've never regretted a romantic pursuit, no matter how badly it turned out. On the other hand, though, I feel like I'm never going to find what I'm looking for.

Yes and No. Personally, I'm pretty reserved and introverted in the non-MBTI sense. However, I'm very talkative, enthusiastic, open (Sx/Sp instinct variant has a big part in this), and charming when my audience feels welcoming and appreciative...or rather, when I feel comfortable.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For me at least, my Ti aids me in interpreting my Fi judgments. Fi is so very ambiguous and difficult to quantify, qualify, and put into words...and as a 4w5 I have to know. I can't just take my own word for it, so to speak, I need to understand my feelings: what they are, why I feel that way, where it comes from, etc. For my ego, for my psyche, for my self, this is a life or death concern. I think this results in much greater Ti development than would be typical of a type with strong Fi.
Thanks, nice explanation there. I'm a 4w5 with a fairly developed Ti too and that is excactly what I do to myself. It's pure torture :p Sometimes it feels as if I'm running round and round in cirlces never fully reaching a clear point of understanding. I also use Ti to critically assess other people's opinions, especially when they contradict my values and views about life.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts