Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come I continue to find that I'm not the only INTP that tests higher Fi than Fe in his/her cognitive functions test?

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Is it possible that your Ti is so strong when answering the questions it contributes to leaning towards Fi ? I'm just guessing here. Perhaps because of the subjectivity of both introverted functions, Ti is taking a subjective stance on some of the more emotional driven questions. Personally i see a lot of similarities between both these functions.( in the personal realm ) I remember the online test i was very close with Ti - Te. I wouldn't put so much weight in any online test thou, they really are NOT designed to be objective.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Ti is so different from Te that many people who rely on Ti can go through life thinking their calculated judgments about their feelings are Fi.

/thread.

Unless there's more to say, in which case, [thread]

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I also test with high Fi, if I'm not misremebering @antahon does as well.

I don't think shadow functions go against the mbti typing, the problem is the either/or structure of the mbti types. If you main Ti you're not allowed to have Fe, Te or Xi as your second function.

Which one might have in reality, but it doesn't structure like that in mbti.

From what I've seen at least. This is conjecture, not to be mistaken with facts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How come I continue to find that I'm not the only INTP that tests higher Fi than Fe in his/her cognitive functions test?
You're not the only one. If the function test is correct, Fi is, like, my third highest function, and my Ne is a hair stronger than my Ti.
The latter is quite easily explained by me having a strong ENTP leaning, but the strong Fi is a bit harder to explain even though I sort of lean towards INFP. Fi is the eighth (and IIRC the least developed) function of a textbook INTP so it's quite weird since the said INFP tendency is not strong at all.

Because the test isn't accurate
This is a blanket statement.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
You're not the only one. If the function test is correct, Fi is, like, my third highest function, and my Ne is a hair stronger than my Ti.
The latter is quite easily explained by me having a strong ENTP leaning, but the strong Fi is a bit harder to explain even though I sort of lean towards INFP. Fi is the eighth (and IIRC the least developed) function of a textbook INTP so it's quite weird since the said INFP tendency is not strong at all.

This is a blanket statement.
It isn't accurate. I have not seen a single person get the correct results from the test. The questions on the test are not good at differentiating the extraverted from introverted functions, nor measuring how much of each you use propery.

You may want to believe you use both Ti and Fi, but this goes against the theory.
Fe is yang to Ti's yin. Fi is the bane of Ti's existance, and vice versa

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I also test with high Fi, if I'm not misremebering @antahon does as well.
My functions order changes from test to test so you can never be very sure with these kinds of things. The last I took was Fe>Fi though.

I don't believe INTPs use Fi more than Fe. If you think we do, you're probably wrong, at least according to Jung.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is it possible that the tests are poorly designed and will reflect the skewing that happens as a result of its author's biases? Some things the author might project on to other kinds of people might not be accurately representative of the possessors of the type systems described by Jung.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Is it possible that the tests are poorly designed and will reflect the skewing that happens as a result of its author's biases? Some things the author might project on to other kinds of people might not be accurately representative of the possessors of the type systems described by Jung.
yes!

Suppose it really is possible to measure how much of each function you use by percentages? What questions do you ask? How do you know how to weigh those questions? The functions have certain tendencies, but other functions, sometimes in conjunction with each other, can mimic the same behavior. Plus what behaviors belong to which functions isn't cut and dried, you can find different authors with different ideas.

Plus I've seen it argued pretty convincingly that to have a healthy personality, your perceiving functions need to be balanced by judging functions, your extroverted functions need to be balanced by introverted functions. You don't want to use both Ti and Te for example, because they have opposing attitudes and would make you unbalanced. The function orders people get from that test would make for a pretty screwed up personality! But everybody gets wrong results, so I'm convinced the problem is the tests and not the individuals! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts