Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone who knows me well recently suggested that my introversion may be due in part to my unease at adapting to the various social roles expected of 'responsible members of society.' It takes considerable effort to mask my true feelings towards certain acceptable attitudes in my region (disdain for social inferiors, talk about guns, sports, etc.) Where I live, these topics come up frequently and I find it hard to make a non-committal comment and continue engaging in conversation and socialization. There is also a fear of being mocked for these feelings and behaviors, so I find it necessary to cover them up. As a result, I find socialization with groups of people difficult and exhausting, and usually prefer solitude. Or if I do find myself compelled to attend a social function, I usually retreat quickly.

After a brief look at Jung's thoughts on personas, it seems he thought it unhealthy to have what I suppose you could call an 'underdeveloped' persona to present to society. But maintaining that mask for more than 30 - 60 minutes is very trying, especially when dealing with complete strangers. And frankly, I absolutely hate pretending to be someone I'm not. But the alternative is to put up with mockery, ridicule and rejection.

Is there any way to be truly 'authentic' with society at large. The person who made this observation pointed out that completely open communications are typically limited to one or two intimate friends/partners. Is that the only safe venue for true honesty?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts