Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When searching for my type, this was by far the most difficult aspect to differentiate, because I am extremely empathetic and it's not a choice. It isn't necessarily a "I relate to that, therefore I feel you" mentality, unless I definitely relate, then we can connect and talk about it. But I find myself feeling other people's emotions instantly and it is always so intense, unless I'm in an apathetic or really depressed state. But I'm an INFP, how can this be explained? You may want to argue that I'm not an INFP, but I promise I am!

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
Empathy is simply the ability to put yourself in the shoes of others and see things from their perspective. It's a sign of a mature healthy individual. It has nothing to do with type or functions. Hell, thinking functions can empathize for the sake of understanding and strategy. It usually does come easier to Fe, but it can be more shallow in nature ''I can feel they're depressed, I'll buy them a drink and problem solved'' for instance. The only reason that Fi is often seen as struggling with empathy is because they process it from the inside with their own subjective criteria therefore you don't see the typical ''there, there'' response from them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right and it isn't just putting myself in someone else's shoes, it is an intense experience of their emotions. I've had to hold back tears in public so many times due to this lol.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I don't think empathy has anything to do with any functions, tbh.
The Fe types are probably going to be more well-equipped to *act* on what they're feeling, as they're extraverted feelers and like harmonious environments - so they might be more likely to literally ask what's wrong, or do something to change the situation.

I don't believe they're any more or less able to pick up on what others are feeling, than any other type, though.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
Hmmm. I only selectively feel empathy for causes in which I value (lol Fi much?). I guess, perhaps you value more things than me? Therefore, you would feel intense emotions and cry for a lot more people/situations? Everyone can feel empathy to some degree, but I think some MBTI types are more sensitive to this than others.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am quite strongly empathetic. I have cried for people who weren't all that upset over what they were telling me.

I quite embarrassed an ENTP by having my parents walk in while I was crying after he had told me something in his childhood and I instinctively yelled out, "He didn't do anything! I just started crying." Thankfully for him, my parents weren't phased in the slightest.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
Hmmm. I only selectively feel empathy for causes in which I value (lol Fi much?).
Totally.

Fi is like someone shopping and looking only at a selective few items that peak their interest. I've been accused at my job of being very cold and dismissive towards clients from Fe colleagues. I honestly didn't even realize it until it was pointed out to me. I guess there's just something about them that didn't appeal to me, so used a ''clean your own mess'' attitude. The Fe employees tend to see every client as equal, all worthy of the same chance until said client really shows no sings of cooperation.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
Totally.

Fi is like someone shopping and looking only at a selective few items that peak their interest. I've been accused at my job of being very cold and dismissive towards clients from Fe colleagues. I honestly didn't even realize it until it was pointed out to me. I guess there's just something about them that didn't appeal to me, so used a ''clean your own mess'' attitude. The Fe employees tend to see every client as equal, all worthy of the same chance until said client really shows no sings of cooperation.
Same here. At work, I am just like that. I dread babysitting those clients that can’t get their shit together. “Clean up your own mess first, then let me do my job”.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts