Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I score INFP on the Myers Briggs personality assessment, usually somewhere around 55% feeling and 45% thinking. I've read up on the cognitive functions and I strongly identify with both introverted feeling and introverted thinking. I also identify with most of the INFP and INTP type descriptions. The thing about the Myers Briggs assessment, however, iis that it completely precludes the possibility of having a dominant as well as an auxiliary introverted function. It also "attests" to your top four functions: INFP = Fi, Ne, Si, Te. I searched online for something that tested for the Jungian functions--as opposed to "type"--and scored Fi>Ti>Ne>Ni>Se>Fe>Te>Si. The order of these functions resonates much more with me than the order of the functions that are prescribed by my INFP personality type.

Does anyone else feel that the functions that are prescribed by their personality type do not line up with the functions that they actually use? Anyone have any opinions/insight concerning whether or not it is possible to have a dominant and supporting introverted function? All opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Does anyone else feel that the functions that are prescribed by their personality type do not line up with the functions that they actually use?
Not after reading a lot on typology.

Anyone have any opinions/insight concerning whether or not it is possible to have a dominant and supporting introverted function?
I'm not sure it's so much that you believe yourself to have two introverted functions as your dominant and auxiliary, but that you believe yourself to have two introverted judgment functions as your dominant and auxiliary. That, to me, does not seem likely. I don't like to explain things in such rigid terms, but I don't see how anyone could deviate far from definitely having either a Ti/Fe pair, or an Fi/Te pair.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
i've read from a few sources that try to correlate MBTI to neurology of the brain that the reason we have 16 types and alternating introverted/extraverted functions lined up in a particular pattern is simply because brain is wired/structured this way - this would make it impossible to have types like Ti-Fi-Se-Te or Se-Si-Fe-Fi

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have use both my Ni and Ti heavily, and this caused me to believe I was NT. After reading more about MBTI, I realized that this was a mistake and that I was simply using my tertiary more than my auxiliary in may situations. For me however it was one perceiving and one judging function. You are looking at two perceiving functions, so the same explanation is not possible in your case.

Paranoid and vel have really said all that I can for having two introverted judging functions. It isn't possiblle according to MBTI. The important disctinction to understand here is that MBTI is a way of describing cognitive functions. Type descriptions and any tests will generally assess your behaviour and match it with stereotypical behaviour for the different types.

I would suggest you spend some time here reading up on the articles and stickes on MBTI and Cognitive Functions, to get a better understanding of the system, so that you are not as dependent on online tests to assess your personality type.

And welcome to PerC! :happy:

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Care to share your age with the forum? It sounds as though you're still developing your dominant function since the two function-attitudes you relate to are completely opposite of one another in application. To the contrary Te is merely the opposite of Fi and the same for Ti-Fe, but the real opposite as it applies to usage is Ti and Fi since you cannot consider your intonations and how something works at the same time. They are two contrasting processes that would compete for dominance of which you are introverting at any given time.

As already stated the principles of type will not allow you to have two functions with the same attitude (E/I) or use two functions of the same make-up ( two judging or two perceiving). It is possible that you are such a strong introverting type that you naturally are in tuned with your tertiary function. Based on look a-like functions such as this list, you could possibly be mistyping your tertiary either believing your Si is your Fi or your Ni is your Ti. But again not to overlook the obvious, you may have yet to develop your dominant function.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
One of those tests just told me I was an INFP... :dry:

I woud suggest reading up more on the functions - not just descriptions, but how people actually use them. Dom-Fi is a lot more complex than many of the descriptions give. In some ways it can mirror the structuring process of Ti - the difference being it relies rather more on a sense of meaning than Ti. It can build structured systems, in a way, but there is a certain reliance on some idea of personal connection in a different way than Ti builds it- they can be similar in pattern, though. Perhaps you are merely not seeing everything your Fi is capable of & calling it Ti instead? Most descriptions of a function don't say everything they are to someone with it dominant. See if you can find descriptions INFPs give of how they use it more intellectually. I also find a lot of those function tests blur the distinction between introverted and extroverted versions of a function - Ne and Ni are vastly different when you really look at them - as well as having somewhat limited ideas of what they, in fact, are. The one I took gave me low Ni because it portrayed it only as gut feelings and mystical experiences - something, being an NT, I am not prone to. Dom-Ni is quite different to INTJs. There are some descriptions about what a function is to a certain type, within a certain function order, and they can be quite different in how they manifest. Maybe read up on those and see if that tells you anything. Contrast also works in seeing other types - an INFP friend really clarified her Si when we talked about it and she saw how I didn't have it at all, and things she took for granted (like sensory memories) didn't necessarily belong to everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts