Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most things I've read about the functions say that Fi-doms tend to express their affection for others through tasks like cleaning, cooking, etc. I've also read that Fi-doms may tend to bottle up their feelings.

I'm not like that. If I have affection for somebody, I will tell them and show it with hugs. I mean, I might cook for them as well, but I would have no problem directly telling them "I love you because..."

I don't bottle up my emotions. Rather, I'm very open with them. If I feel sad, I'll cry, even if it's in front of people. I have no problems crying in front of others. I'm not sure why others do. If I feel anxious or frustrated, I will be clear about it, although I will never be rude to anybody, ever. I also have a very expressive face and eyes.

I definitely use high Fi. What I say, do, and think are all based off my rigid moral code. I've been that way since I was a wee tot. My personal beliefs are very cut and dry, and I'm not gonna break them. I do not need others to affirm me.

I doubt I'm anything other than an ISFP. I'm just curious, what with all the Fi analyses about Fi-doms hiding their emotions.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don't deliberately hide my emotions but I'm not very good at expressing them verbally. I feel very strongly, like I might really feel for someone going through a tough time but I'm crap at telling them I understand and care. And I'm not much of a hugger or a big fan of anyone in my space. I tend to cry at a lot of things though- adverts, music, anything involving animals. I do have a very expressive face and eyes (if I don't like something I just can't hide the fact because my face gives me away) and like you, I make an effort to be polite and kind to everyone. It gets you a long way and it doesn't cost you anything.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't deliberately hide my emotions but I'm not very good at expressing them verbally. I feel very strongly, like I might really feel for someone going through a tough time but I'm crap at telling them I understand and care. And I'm not much of a hugger or a big fan of anyone in my space. I tend to cry at a lot of things though- adverts, music, anything involving animals. I do have a very expressive face and eyes (if I don't like something I just can't hide the fact because my face gives me away) and like you, I make an effort to be polite and kind to everyone. It gets you a long way and it doesn't cost you anything.
I'm actually quite good at telling people that I understand and care. I'm good with advice, too. Growing up, my friends used to suggest I become a therapist.

I enjoy hugging when either I initiate, or someone asks if I need a hug before hugging. It scares me if I'm caught off guard.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
I tend to feel a lot of affection for quite a number of people, but I tend to shy away from showing it. It turns out that being a guy and getting all mushy doesn't jive well for most people. Although I've taken to showing my affection by sort of doing things for people. Just the other weekend I was out with some friends and I bought them a round. I like doing stuff like that :)

·
Registered
ISxP 5
3,324 Posts
It would take a special someone for me to open up. I don't open up to my friends about my emotions, at least, I don't initiate it. I feel alienated from my family, never felt close to them, neither to my parents or sisters.
So.. I pretty much like to solve it on my own :)
I could open up to my ex, but it was mostly through text, so I could hide away a bit, hah

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm. Guess I'm a bit different from other ISFPs in that regard.

I'm assuming you all feel uncomfortable crying in front of people?

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
I certainly do. In fact, I feel really uncomfortable crying alone. But I'm a guy, so.... :p

Reactions: Miss Basura

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I usually show concern if I'm worried about people, ask if they're okay and stuff, give them a back rub (okay, not give anyone a back rub, just my family lol), I like giving hugs but only to my family. (Well, I'm pretty awkward with giving hugs to my brother and sister cause they're T types and I'm not sure when its appropriate to show affection, haha.) Sometimes I'm quite awkward with trying to comfort people though if they're telling me their problems, I'm just like, "I'm sorry to hear that" or just say, "Yeah..." really sadly. It might show on my face though.
Expressing my emotions.. hmmmmm. Depends who I'm talking to I suppose.
Oh, I also do little things like ask if someone needs a drink of water or something... :/

·
Registered
ISxP 5
3,324 Posts
Hmm. Guess I'm a bit different from other ISFPs in that regard.

I in general don't cry alot. Last time I cried it was at my grandma's funeral, and I cried with the whole family being there. It just takes alot to get me to actually cry. But yes, there is also a certain degree of being uncomfortable with showing my expressions to others.
When I grew up nobody ever talked about their feelings and I feel like I'm the product of it.

·
Registered
ISFP 9w8
191 Posts
Yes, I HATE showing my emotions, in particular if I'm sad. I don't like to show my weak side.
It's hard for me to tell to someone I love you, I feel more comfortable if I have to "answer" (if a friend tell me I love you, or hug me, or kiss then I'll reciprocate).
I'm not particularly good to comfort people too, maybe I actually feel terribly sorry for them but I don't know what to do more than saying banalities.
I'm better at showing joy/enthusiasm but I think that I don't show how happy I really am. It's like I filter my emotions.
Long story short, I feel A LOT but I don't want to show them or I don't know how to show them

·
Registered
271 Posts
Interesting question. I used to be very reserved and very shy. When I did open up about something it was to only one of my few friends and a lot of the time I didn't even do that. Growing up and through a good chunk of my 20s, I was very private. But as I have come out of my shell and gained more confidence, I actually have become an open book. I will share intimate details of my life with people I don't even know that well, but that is usually after they have shared something similar and I am relating to their experience. My policy used to be, I will share things with only certain people. Now it seems I will complain to anyone who will listen.

But I think I still have some trouble communicating affection verbally at times and when someone is going through something terrible like a family member passes, I really don't know what to say. I think if I had time to craft a message it would be better. I actually have been trying to write personal essays and posting them on my blog, but it has been difficult to stay disciplined, I think in part because I am still, to some degree, a private person. I don't really care for hugs at all or anyone invading my space. I have noticed that I will show that I care for someone by doing things for them or buying them gifts, something like that.

I do enjoy talking about the human condition and have spent a lot of time trying to manage my inner world, so I enjoy talking about my experiences with that and what I have learned. Some people have told me I should be a therapist or I am wise, but I am just talking from experience and I can really only speak from my experience. Also with giving gifts, I like to take the time to find something that will really be right for that person, a lot of the time.

·
The spirit of the spirits
11,312 Posts
Most things I've read about the functions say that Fi-doms tend to express their affection for others through tasks like cleaning, cooking, etc. I've also read that Fi-doms may tend to bottle up their feelings.

I'm not like that. If I have affection for somebody, I will tell them and show it with hugs. I mean, I might cook for them as well, but I would have no problem directly telling them "I love you because..."

I don't bottle up my emotions. Rather, I'm very open with them. If I feel sad, I'll cry, even if it's in front of people. I have no problems crying in front of others. I'm not sure why others do. If I feel anxious or frustrated, I will be clear about it, although I will never be rude to anybody, ever. I also have a very expressive face and eyes.

I definitely use high Fi. What I say, do, and think are all based off my rigid moral code. I've been that way since I was a wee tot. My personal beliefs are very cut and dry, and I'm not gonna break them. I do not need others to affirm me.

I doubt I'm anything other than an ISFP. I'm just curious, what with all the Fi analyses about Fi-doms hiding their emotions.
You simply read wrong descriptions of it, that's the problem here.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I definitely do not at all express my feelings through "tasks" only. It is through anything, because feeling is just what I do and who I am in the sense of staying true ti my own values.

I think I express them the most through writing.

But I also don't like to show my feelings, usually. I'm private and internalize. I don't like crying in frint of others, that is always a private deal. I do bottle up but that is something I need to work on fixing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I can't cry around people. It's always in private. I used to wear my heart on my sleeve, but sometimes I think some of the antidepressants I've been on made me 'too bubbly', 'too loving'. It scared me because I saw too much good in others, while I don't think it's bad to look at the good in others, I was seeing too much good in sketchy people. I tend to smile and appear happy around others, but I don't talk about myself or how I'm really doing unless someone asks, and I know I can trust this person knowing about how I'm really doing without strings attached.

I'm much more aloof and skeptical, though I won't share my skepticism. Unless there's someone right there who can see the truth for what it is along with me. :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
I can't cry around people. It's always in private. I used to wear my heart on my sleeve, but sometimes I think some of the antidepressants I've been on made me 'too bubbly', 'too loving'. It scared me because I saw too much good in others, while I don't think it's bad to look at the good in others, I was seeing too much good in sketchy people. I tend to smile and appear happy around others, but I don't talk about myself or how I'm really doing unless someone asks, and I know I can trust this person knowing about how I'm really doing without strings attached.

I'm much more aloof and skeptical, though I won't share my skepticism. Unless there's someone right there who can see the truth for what it is along with me. :)
hello there civilized creature. do you play Final Fantasy?

·
Registered
777 Posts
That sounds a bit more J-ish to me (the cooking and cleaning part)

I feel like the tangible aspects of physical closeness are an important part of Se, but it could apply to other functions and types in various ways. I've only had romantic relationships with IN-P types, and I notice a huge difference. They feel connected to the idea of something, rather than the actual something. I thought I found a soulmate who loved the forest and nature enough to live far out in it, but he never went outside. He had an idealized notion of it that he loved, but didn't need the tangible felt-sense of it. I need to feel the actuality of it. The same is true for love and physical affection. For me the idea isn't something to connect to, but something that insures the actual experience will happen again soon.

I will hide my emotions from people I don't trust mostly because I don't want to have hassles from them. I've also had to hide my emotions from past partners who had almost no emotional bandwidth, and I knew it would alienate them. I can relate to feeling comfortable with the entire range, depth, and breadth of emotion, and the intensity of my emotion is confusing for some of my partners when they see it they think it needs to stop when it doesn't. It's just part of the process.

Edit: It's worth adding that Fi and Fe are about value judgments and not emotions. I think the actual expressing of emotions has a basis in one's physiology, family environment, and culture. All judging functions can have different reasons for expressing and hiding actual emotions. I would venture to say that Fe emotional expression works to integrate it into the external, interpersonal systems, while Fi emotional expression works to integrate it into the internal intrapersonal system. The times I hide mine is because the external influences and consequences put my internal world at risk, and so rather than trying to talk out all the feelings and express them, I keep it private. There isn't anything I can do to increase someone else's emotional bandwidth, so I leave them to their world and work out my own world. It's not necessarily the ideal way because i know it is supposed to be good to talk about emotions, and so we all need a balance. When I do express emotions in front of people, it isn't a plea to have them help me figure it out, but more like parallel play where they can sit next to me and show support while I work it out, but it isn't a socially interactive motivation for me. I think the judging function comes into play not so much in how much emotion is expressed, but where do we do the work to integrate and work it out?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts