Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K so *warning* this is a socionics thing, but I'm curious if you all relate to this description of Fi in you.

Powerful 6th Function of Introverts + Visual Reading – Leon Tsao

The reason I've been wavering b/w INFP and ISFJ is because I recognize high Fi in me, but according to socionics -- your 6th function might actually be your strongest (but undervalued) function. So for us, our Fi would be even higher than IxFPs.

Some parts I relate to:

Their Fi is stronger than their Fe: unlike Fe dominant types they have an acutely sensitive awareness of their individuality. They can get lost in others feelings and outer emotional atmosphere at times (Fe), but they can come back to reflecting on their own emotions and uniqueness for extensive periods of time (Fi).
I am always, always, always constantly analyzing and dissecting my emotions, thoughts, beliefs, motivations, etc. I get so lost and absorbed in this, often at the expense of focusing on the external. I am analyzing and reanalyzing, building, tweaking, destroying, and rebuilding myself every minute. This unconscious habit of mine made me think I was Fi/Ne.

Visually, I notice it is almost as if their whole body is sinking with melancholy (from Fi). It looks as if the weight of the world is on their shoulders. There is a sadness to them, as if they are troubled or secretly carrying a feeling of deep guilt— but when they approach you they hide this under a cheery and harmonizing Fe.
Their Fi can get out of whack as they sink deep into an emotional subjectivity that rivals that of IxFPs.
Lol yes. The other day I was thinking how when I am at my worst, I turn into a depressed IxFP. I completely isolate myself from the external world and sink into my inner subjectivity and melancholy. Honestly, I'm a far more melancholic person than most people realize, because I use Fe to navigate the social world. So just about everyone in my life regards me as endlessly cheerful, sunny and optimistic, while I believe this is just a mere shadow of my true self.

So what do y'all think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, that is scarily me! I do agree with it. Looks like I'm going to be studying socionics a lot more now.

I'm in my head a lot. I'm always trying to get to the bottom of things regarding my emotions, feelings, thoughts, and motivation. I analyse the crap out of them. I try and get to the bottom of them and see I truly feel or do them of I 'should' feel or do them. When I'm down I really get in my head and I isolate myself. I'm am just going over and over and over my thought.

Though I am more so quirky then people expect of me.
I went out with a friend today and she said I'm a little strange in my passions/interests. Off from the norm and niche. A lot of people that get to know me are really surprised when I open up. I come across pretty average and nice, I give off a lot of Fe and even more so when I'm nervous...but people get caught off guard sometimes with me the more you talk to me haha.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I can definitely agree with this use of Fi. I've been confused also with trying to identify Fi, with Fi leading me to think I was INFP or even ENTP, Socionics really is helpful in making sense of all the functions.

I think most of the time I'm not very expressive with my Fe or confident with my Fe because of anxiety, so that makes me slip more into an odd combination of Si, Fi, and Ti for my main method of processing information. Though, Fe is still very much there and very much my aux function, but it's pretty much been shut off for a long time, or just shut off most of the time and weakened much of the time, with occasional short term bursts of something that's closer to healthy, natural Fe. I'm not able to really use Fe around people unless I know them well, usually it's just a source of worry/anxiety. Even with people I do know well it's still very diminished. :blushed:

I think this creates a heightened sense of demonstrative Fi. It's much easier to notice Fi when I'm alone, healthy Fi. Where I'm constantly evaluating how I feel about things, where I stand on important issues, why I take such stances, and what issues are important in the first place, and where others are coming from.

But, often times, around others, a failure in Fe only leads to more of an unhealthy Fi mindset, coupled with Si and Ti. Where an inability to be comfortable with Fe only leads to unusual and unfounded Fi judgments that are only confirmed by Si and Ti, and Ne can't really break this, but can only confirm this in outlandish ways.

So, I see Fi as being either a fantastic, healthy helper to Fe or a potentially dangerous, unhealthy replacement.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,176 Posts
When I saw the thread title I opened the thread thinking to mention Socionics, but I see you were already there :)

I don't think those quotes are very accurate descriptions of what socionics Fi is, but I do find it very true. The functions in socionics (known as the information elements) are much more technical and literal with the definitions. The introverted functions are about relations and subjectivity, and extroverted ones are more objective and explicit in my understanding.

Socionics looks at all 8 functions in each of the sixteen types - There is a lot to socionics so I won't explain it all because I will end up writing a mini essay about it! - but in an MBTI framework socionics ISFJs (SEI - sensing ethical introvert) basically use Fi like this;

- Fi is refered to as the "demonstrative" function for socionics ISFJs.
- It is just as strong as the dominant function, introverted sensing.
- Unlike Fe (and Si, Ti, Ne) it is not valued. It is with the rest of the functions which are used but not valued.

The demonstrative function is used to serve the valued functions, particularly Fe. In socionics Fi is about interpersonal relationships to put it really simply. And Fe is about emotional expression, the energy and impact of it. Socionics ISFJs (and INFJs, as they have the same alignment, Fe auxiliary) use Fi to build and maintain relationships - but for the purpose of Fe, because that is the feeling/ethical function they value more. Having certain relationships allows for more emotional expression, making it more explict.

It's hard to explain. I mistyped as a socionics INFP (EII) because I was certain that I valued and had strong Fi. But really I only use Fi because building better relationships and getting closer to certain people means I can express myself more freely, be more authentic with expressing how I feel/think.

I hope that all makes sense^ If you're stuck on your type in MBTI then I highly recommend socionics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts