Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Fi-Ne is the reason a lot of INFPs tend to ramble, or tend to write a lot (I've posted a topic on wordiness). Also, do you tend to think as you're speaking/writing? Like the act of writing or speaking or processing language helps you formulate ideas, like you're sort of painting ideas with your words, in increasing detail, like a painting? In contrast Ni tends to think of what to say first - formulating the words or idea in their head - and then speaking. Maybe pausing more, whereas for INFPs in comes out in a sustained tidal wave of words. Fi holds intense, but often quite detailed value-based judgements, while Ne bounces ideas off one another. One idea leads to the next etc. I've found this a lot in myself. I think that's what makes a lot of INFPs good writers: the ability to very vividly describe emotional states/vibes.etc, sometimes using very metaphorical, abstract language, and be very creative expressing these ideas.

I wonder if an INFP author would differ from an INFJ author? Or an INFP poet/songwriter?

Do you think there's an INFP 'style'? At the risk of stereotyping, just some signs that mark it out as Fi-Neish. I've noticed myself sometimes I get so carried away I'm madly writing out, and the thoughts, ideas, connections just tumble out uncontrollably.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I had an ethics professor who, after getting into MBTI and looking back, I'm certain is an INFP. This was in one of those auditorium styled classes - he would stand there with his hands in his pockets and would ramble on and on, and you could tell it was coming from a place of internal feeling. I thought it was interesting.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
We need editors, lol.

Something that I rely on too much in my writing is parenthesis. I'll have a thought, need to clarify/add to it, and instead of rewriting that thought I use () to complete the sentence. I want to give you my complete thought, organically, and the process of writing generates the complete thought (I think you said this too).

There is a beauty to a short sentence. One of my favorite quotes is from William Stunk Jr. who wrote The Elements of Style:

"Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell."

I'm not saying I'm good at that, but it's a beautiful thought.

I'd love to hear from non-INFP writers, even if it's just bloggers/college students who write papers.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ Me too, or hypens, colons, semi-colons, along with commas, of course. Short, sharp sentences aren't usually my forte, but I think I'm quite concise and to the point, it's just some of the concepts I write about are so complex I want to make sure people understand them as much as they can.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Wow, well, I realized a while back that my method of verbal communication is either very short and full of regret or one full of almost rambling, dynamic inflections, verbal tripping and stuttering. I described it several times as sort of like this train station going on while I speak, with blinking switchboard and about a dozen different conflicting tracks that need to be sorted out before there's a crash. So yes, I do think while I talk or write. I hadn't considered it before, but even though I'm often alone with my thoughts too, even then I'm bouncing ideas and thoughts off other people. They may not actually be there, but I got some people's behavior down pat for those times we aren't sharing each other's presence.

Personally, when writing, I use a lot of commas, semicolons, and hyphens--I love hyphens. I also spend too much time reading what I write over again and making sure each word works. I don't like it if it something is used repeatedly or is just too common a word. I prefer it if something can be phrased a different way; no matter how subtle it guides the mind to pick it up a different way. Although I'm pretty conflicting. Careful with writing, but in drafting an essay I throw all ideas together in a long, clustered mess of writing and organize later. Don't like overuse of terms without some rearrangement but use favorite words, like "pretty" a lot. Don't like common words, but appreciate simplicity over big complicated words. Love long descriptions, but hate things that get too repetitive or provide no new information...just get to the point! Humor's fun, too

·
Registered
547 Posts
Absolutely. I am a History and English teacher, and I find that it doesn't matter how well I plan a lesson, my best ideas come while I am trying to explain things to my students, expressing ideas and brainstorming on the spot. I have even told my class not to listen to what I tell them straight up, but to wait for the gold that comes after I have been talking for a while. I've also encouraged my younger students in one class (a whopping eleven of whom identified in a modified MBTI-style test as either INFP or ENFP) not to rely on what first comes to mind but to actively explore ideas as they talk about them and see where their thoughts lead them. I am already seeing so much better work from them.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Absolutely. I am a History and English teacher, and I find that it doesn't matter how well I plan a lesson, my best ideas come while I am trying to explain things to my students, expressing ideas and brainstorming on the spot. I have even told my class not to listen to what I tell them straight up, but to wait for the gold that comes after I have been talking for a while. I've also encouraged my younger students in one class (a whopping eleven of whom identified in a modified MBTI-style test as either INFP or ENFP) not to rely on what first comes to mind but to actively explore ideas as they talk about them and see where their thoughts lead them. I am already seeing so much better work from them.
Just a lowly TA soon to be student teacher for older elementary grades (3-5 I hope). I'm going to try and use guided discussion as much as I can. Just riffing with kids seems to inspire learning so much faster than when I have to use a scripted lesson.

That's interesting about your kids' MBTI test results. Do you think there was a bias in the test, or just a unique group of students? How young do you think an MBTI test would have to be before the results would be unreliable? Can/do you differentiate to different types?

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
I think they are the most verbose type. They will bury you with words. That's why they can't rap. I said that INFJ is more spoken word, and INFP is more written word. INFJ adjusts to the audience.

INxJ writing style is more terse than INxP. Ne has no intensity. That is what it is. It just kind of floats along. Se and Ni have more intensity. Like people argue whether Eminem is an ISTP or ISFP, but nobody argues he is an INTP or INFP. He is too intense. And that intensity is pushed into word. INFJ can't do that either. It puts so much rhythm within a small space, it is amazing.

Se-Ni want to write words that are sharp, and move. That get out of their own way. I associate Ne with jam music.

This is the quick simplicity I am talking about:

Bus stop, wet day, she's there, I say
Please share my umbrella
Bus stop, bus goes, she stays, love grows
Under my umbrella

All that summer we enjoyed it
Wind and rain and shine
That umbrella, we employed it
By August, she was mine

another:

Hot town, summer in the city
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city

All around, people looking half dead
Walking on the sidewalk, hotter than a match head

But at night it's a different world
Go out and find a girl
Come-on come-on and dance all night
Despite the heat it'll be alright

And babe, don't you know it's a pity
That the days can't be like the nights
In the summer, in the city

Cool town, evening in the city
Dressing so fine and looking so pretty
Cool cat, looking for a kitty
Gonna look in every corner of the city
Till I'm wheezing like a bus stop
Running up the stairs, gonna meet you on the rooftop

But at night it's a different world
Go out and find a girl
Come-on come-on and dance all night
Despite the heat it'll be alright

And babe, don't you know it's a pity
That the days can't be like the nights

It flows even without music. It has a rhythm.

Ne has a longer, softer flow. Steely Dan maybe.

In the mornin' you go gunnin' for the man who stole your water
And you fire till he is done in but they catch you at the border
And the mourners are all singin' as they drag you by your feet
But the hangman isn't hangin' and they put you on the street

You go back, Jack, do it again, wheels turinin' 'round and 'round
You go back, Jack, do it again

When you know she's no high climber then you find your only friend
In a room with your two timer, and you're sure you're near the end
Then you love a little wild one, and she brings you only sorrow
All the time you know she's smilin'; you'll be on your knees tomorrow

I think Talking Heads is Ne music:

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful
wife
And you may ask yourself-Well...How did I get here?

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful wife!
Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Carry the water at the bottom of the ocean
Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean

I think Trent Reznor may be an INFJ

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
CS Lewis is listed as an INFP. CS Lewis is not an INFP. lol. He is clearly a Ni dom. Ni doms are "aphoristic" to quote Jung. That is a very good word to describe it. This is Jung on why Nietzsche is a Ni dom:

He must surely be reckoned as an intuitive type with an inclination towards the side of introversion. As evidence of the former we have his pre-eminently intuitive, artistic manner of production, of which this very work The Birth of Tragedy is highly characteristic, while his master work Thus Spake Zarathustra is even more so. His aphoristic writings are expressive of his introverted intellectual side.

Ni distills an issue to its core. It has greater intensity and certainty. An INFP doesn't write like this:

I was taught at school, when I had done a sum, to "prove my answer." The proof or verification of my Christian answer to the cosmic sum is this. When I accept Theology I may find difficulties, at this point or that, in harmonising it with some particular truths which are embedded in the mythical cosmology derived from science. But I can get in, or allow for, science as a whole. Granted that Reason is prior to matter and that the light of that primal Reason illuminates finite minds, I can understand how men should come, by observation and inference, to know a lot about the universe they live in. If, on the other hand, I swallow the scientific cosmology as a whole, then not only can I not fit in Christianity, but I cannot even fit in science. If minds are wholly dependent on brains, and brains on biochemistry, and biochemistry (in the long run) on the meaningless flux of the atoms, I cannot understand how the thought of those minds should have any more significance than the sound of the wind in the trees. And this is to me the final test. This is how I distinguish dreaming and waking. When I am awake I can, in some degree, account for and study my dream. The dragon that pursued me last night can be fitted into my waking world. I know that there are such things as dreams: I know that I had eaten an indigestible dinner: I know that a man of my reading might be expected to dream of dragons. But while in the nightmare I could not have fitted in my waking experience. The waking world is judged more real because it can thus contain the dreaming world: the dreaming world is judged less real because it cannot contain the waking one. For the same reason I am certain that in passing from the scientific point of view to the theological, I have passed from dream to waking. Christian theology can fit in science, art, morality, and the sub-Christian religions. The scientific point of view cannot fit in any of these things, not even science itself. I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen not only because I see it but because by it I see everything else.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ I've had very similar ideas as CS Lewis in that passage, but I might not reason/describe it that way. For instance, I was debating someone yesterday about the idea of objective morality. She's an atheist nihilist and says she is the source of her morality. I said, but where did you come from? Who or what created you? Evolution, nature, chance? If so, isn't your morality that of nature's? Can you say nature is moral? It appears amoral and cruel. So in effect since you are part of nature, your morality is nature's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.