Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across an INTJ individual who sees religion as the sole reason for the world being shitty. IT seems like he goes in and out of agreeing with certain concepts in religion being ok and then goes back to wishing that all of religion was destroyed. I think he sees it as making people stupid and shallow thinkers. Anyway what do you think the difference between an Fi-Ni loop and Ni-Fi loop would be if any? For me it's basically thinking about how harmful an idea about something is to people around me, or how someone did something hurtful to me or someone else, and then expanding on this with deeper thoughts for days/weeks on end to the point where it becomes somewhat delusional/ very imaginative

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
It's subtle since loop behavior in the context of the cognitive function theory is considered unhealthy, but there are definitely a difference between the two. An INTJ has more developed Ni and poorly developed Fi, ISFP is the other way around. An ISFP will exhibit more unhealthy Ni behavior since they are relying on a function that is not yet well controlled, INTJ will exhibit more unhealthy Fi behavior. Both will make false generalizations that lack any real world evidence (Se/Te), however the INTJ will focus on "what makes the world wrong" or "how other people/society are wrong and stupid," or "how I am above it all" ect ect and the ISFP will focus on how "the world is inevitably going to destroy itself" or how so and so "is thinking these thoughts/had these exact motivations/did something harmful on purpose" ect ect ect. You kind of described the difference perfectly above whether you realize it or not.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Came across an INTJ individual who sees religion as the sole reason for the world being shitty. IT seems like he goes in and out of agreeing with certain concepts in religion being ok and then goes back to wishing that all of religion was destroyed. I think he sees it as making people stupid and shallow thinkers. Anyway what do you think the difference between an Fi-Ni loop and Ni-Fi loop would be if any? For me it's basically thinking about how harmful an idea about something is to people around me, or how someone did something hurtful to me or someone else, and then expanding on this with deeper thoughts for days/weeks on end to the point where it becomes somewhat delusional/ very imaginative
Your question basically is: What's the difference between J-P and P-J?

Judge first and perceive later or perceive first and judge later?

There are pro's and con's to both.

The INTJ is looking at the big picture. The effect of religion on all of humanity. You look at the individual. The effect of religion on an individual person. The INTJ wants the system to function properly. You want the individual to function properly.

The reason you and the INTJ have these 2 different focus points is caused, not by Ni-Fi vs Fi-Ni, but by being a thinking judger vs being a feeling perceiver. So in this case, Te vs Fi.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Fi-Ni vs Ni-Fi Loop Is there a difference?
Function loops aren't a part of MBTI or Jungian theory. So unfortunately, no one can answer this unless they make something up.

Reactions: Igor and Turi

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
Ni-Fi and Fi-Ni are exactly how Jung envisioned INF types in the first place. He believed that the auxiliary function shared the orientation of the dominant function, when sufficiently differentiated and developed in an individual. So to him, being in such a loop doesn't make you unhealthy or ill, because he stressed that introverts were profoundly different from extraverts in how they perceive and interact with the world. An introvert having a fully conscious and developed extraverted function wouldn't be possible, same with extraverts and introverted functions.

The Harold Grant model, on the other hand, is the Ni-Te-Fi-Se model popular among forumites that tells us INFJs and INFPs have nothing in common cognitively, even though they're both introverts who prefer N and F. This is inconsistent with both Jung and MBTI.

All that said, your friend could well be an INTJ, albeit an INTJ with a preference for T and J.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think he sees it as making people stupid and shallow thinkers.
That's not a loop. Loops don't exist. That's textbook repression of subconscious Fi. Source: personal experience.

If you want this person to become balanced again, convince him/her to become open to his/her feelings again. Through art or other means.

·
Registered
381 Posts
INTJ's are more likely to feel like everyone is their enemy, and become extremely paranoid about the world around them. For an ISFP, it is more of a focus on the feeling the future brings them, and make a lot of assumptions about people. It's very similar, but the focus is different based on the dominant function. Either way, all I can say is having both Fi and Ni in your stack would be really intense.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't think there's a such thing as a loop but rather all functions beneath the dominant become unhealthy. The further one goes into their dominant, the more the aux, tertiary & inferior suffer, together.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
I don't think there's a such thing as a loop but rather all functions beneath the dominant become unhealthy. The further one goes into their dominant, the more the aux, tertiary & inferior suffer, together.
That's only the case when the auxiliary function is underdeveloped, and when there's no real preference for one's auxiliary.

I think the idea with Jung's function model is that a pure Ti dom is Ti-Se&Ne-Fe, but Ti-Ni-Se-Fe or Ti-Si-Ne-Fe is the general rule. There is some debate about the orientation of the tertiary in the latter stack, but whatever the case, Jung believed the majority of types had a distinct auxiliary function, and with it, a corresponding second inferior function of sorts.

Sometimes this could emerge from the unconscious, but when it does, it carries with it the taint of the inferior. Even if it remained unconscious, this other inferior is less repressed in the unconscious while still being largely unconscious.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's only the case when the auxiliary function is underdeveloped, and when there's no real preference for one's auxiliary.

I think the idea with Jung's function model is, in a pure Ti dom, Ti-Se&Ne-Fe, but Ti-Ni-Se-Fe or Ti-Si-Ne-Fe as the general rule. There is some debate about the orientation of the tertiary in the latter stack, but in any case, Jung believed the majority of types had a distinct auxiliary function, and with it, a corresponding second inferior function of sorts. Sometimes this could emerge from the unconscious, but when it does, it carries with it the taint of the inferior. Even if it remained unconscious, this other inferior is less repressed in the unconscious while still by and large unconscious.
I don't quite understand where the idea comes from that two E/I functions can come after one another. You can explain, if you feel like it, of course.

I assume that if one is claiming to be in a dom/tert "loop" that their aux is being ignored and therefore, underused/underdeveloped at this point. This is why I said if you are claiming to be in a "loop" it stands to reason that perhaps you are overall being unhealthy & all functions beneath the dom, suffer..

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
I don't quite understand where the idea comes from that two E/I functions can come after one another. You can explain, if you feel like it, of course.

I assume that if one is claiming to be in a dom/tert "loop" that their aux is being ignored and therefore, underused/underdeveloped at this point. This is why I said if you are claiming to be in a "loop" it stands to reason that perhaps you are overall being unhealthy & all functions beneath the dom, suffer..
Jung believed that people were differentiated more by their level of extraversion/introversion than any functions they may have. In fact, Jung spent most of Psychological Types exploring why extraverts and introverts were so different from each other, and didn't talk about functions at all until the penultimate chapter. They were a footnote to him, and in subsequent introductions, Jung bemoaned all those people who only read Chapter X without so much as reading the first five chapters.

It just wouldn't make sense for an extravert to have a fully conscious and developed introverted function and vice versa, considering the overall context of Psychological Types.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ni-Fi and Fi-Ni are exactly how Jung envisioned INF types in the first place. He believed that the auxiliary function shared the orientation of the dominant function, when sufficiently differentiated and developed in an individual. So to him, being in such a loop doesn't make you unhealthy or ill, because he stressed that introverts were profoundly different from extraverts in how they perceive and interact with the world. An introvert having a fully conscious and developed extraverted function wouldn't be possible, same with extraverts and introverted functions.

The Harold Grant model, on the other hand, is the Ni-Te-Fi-Se model popular among forumites that tells us INFJs and INFPs have nothing in common cognitively, even though they're both introverts who prefer N and F. This is inconsistent with both Jung and MBTI.

All that said, your friend could well be an INTJ, albeit an INTJ with a preference for T and J.
To my understanding, Jung was implying that the aux function would become a complimentary slave to the dominant function of the introvert. The only thing introverts have in common is their subjectivity but it seems to me that Jung made it clear that Pe had to come after Ji & Pi after Je , which is consistent with H.G's model. Otherwise, such an introvert would be extremely withdrawn to a point of illness...

INFPs use Ne to cater to their Fi ideals/ethics & to find creative ways to express while INFJs use Fe to cater to their insights, visions & perceptions of reality. Both are carrying an introverted attitude but the subjectivity of each is completely unique.

I agree that introverts won't have full developed Je/Pe functions because they are all serving the subjective personality aka the introvert...but the type of introvert we are talking about is where the H.G. stack comes into play.

Also, it makes the most sense to me...

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
To my understanding, Jung was implying that the aux function would become a complimentary slave to the dominant function of the introvert. The only thing introverts have in common is their subjectivity but it seems to me that Jung made it clear that Pe had to come after Ji & Pi after Je , which is consistent with H.G's model. Otherwise, such an introvert would be extremely withdrawn to a point of illness...

INFPs use Ne to cater to their Fi ideals/ethics & to find creative ways to express while INFJs use Fe to cater to their insights, visions & perceptions of reality. Both are carrying an introverted attitude but the subjectivity of each is completely unique.

I agree that introverts won't have full developed Je/Pe functions because they are all serving the subjective personality aka the introvert...but the type of introvert we are talking about is where the H.G. stack comes into play.

Also, it makes the most sense to me...
Here's what Jung said.

Carl Jung said:
Experience shows that the secondary function is always one whose nature is different from, though not antagonistic to, the leading function : thus, for example, thinking, as primary function, can readily pair with intuition as auxiliary, or indeed equally well with sensation, but, as already observed, never with feeling.
I took this as saying the auxiliary differed in its rational/irrational orientation. To me, Jung was saying the auxilary was not only opposite to the conscious in its rationality/irrationality, but also not opposite in its extraversion or introversion. If so, I think the top two functions would be in a state of conflict, as an introvert would have a conscious extraverted element warring inside them and controlling them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here's what Jung said.

I took this as saying the auxiliary differed in its rational/irrational orientation. To me, Jung was saying the auxilary was not only opposite to the conscious in its rationality/irrationality, but also not opposite in its extraversion or introversion. If so, I think the top two functions would be in a state of conflict, as an introvert would have a conscious extraverted element warring inside them and controlling them.
Yes, I read that as well.. We simply have a different understanding as to what he meant. I can see why you came to the conclusion you did, even if that is not the way I comprehended it. Jung also hinted at, while describing the types, that the aux function needed to be extraverted/introverted opposite of the dom as well. I have to find the exact reference but I remember reading it or at least comprehending it that way. Ne/Se aren't antagonistic to Fi but helps them express via a creative source to the objective world, indirectly. (I view this as him referring to the aux function.)

If Ni were to come after Fi, Fi couldn't express itself anywhere, which would drive one even more mad. The INFP couldn't manifest ideals... The ISFP couldn't either.. The creative function would be useless in such a case. The Ti dom is the same. His/Her ideas need to be tested or materialized in objective reality (Se/Ne) or they'd go mad. At least that is how I comprehend it, of course. Fi/Ti users are indirect until values are crossed or logical systems are. Then the inferior pokes out. (My understanding.)

Jung didn't make it clear so we can only interpret it as we may but I just can't fathom Ti-Ni or etc..

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
Yes, I read that as well.. We simply have a different understanding as to what he meant. I can see what you came to the conclusion you did, even if that is not the way I comprehended it. Jung also stated while describing the types, specifically the introverts that the aux function needed to be extraverted as well. I have to find the exact reference but I remember reading it or at least comprehending it that way. Ne/Se aren't antagonistic to Fi but helps them express via a creative source to the objective world, indirectly. (I view this as him referring to the aux function.)

If Ni were to come after Fi, Fi couldn't express itself anywhere, which would drive one even more mad. The creative function would be useless in such a case. The Ti dom is the same. His/Her ideas need to be tested or materialized in objective reality (Se/Ne) or they'd go mad. At least that is how I comprehend it, of course. Fi/Ti users are indirect until values are crossed or logical systems are. Then the inferior pokes out. (My understanding.)

Jung didn't make it clear so we can only interpret it as we may but I just can't fathom Ti-Ni or etc..
It's possible that Jung didn't necessarily believe everyone had a type, and that these types only really immerged with a sufficient level of extraversion or introversion.

Anyway, I'd like to see your source.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's possible that Jung didn't necessarily believe everyone had a type, and that these types only really immerged with a sufficient level of extraversion or introversion.

I do recall him saying that such pure types were not the norm (& perhaps in the mentally ill) ...as far as the ones he was observing goes. I agree that they don't in such extreme cases but I do see some leading functions in life...and okay. I'm not good with sources, partially due to laziness but I'll see what I can do.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
I do recall him saying that such pure types were not the norm (& perhaps in the mentally ill) ...as far as the ones he was observing goes. I agree that they don't in such extreme cases but I do see some leading functions in life...and okay. I'm not good with sources, partially due to laziness but I'll see what I can do.
That's not actually what I meant. I was thinking that there were types with auxiliaries, types who were just their dominant with unconscious functions, and then there were the rest who were too close to the middle of extraversion/introversion to have a distinct type.

·
Registered
311 Posts

I apologize in advance as this will be a bit much.

I'll try to explain my comprehension the best way I can.

To my knowledge, what all Extraverts* have in common is that they are orientated by objective data. Jung gave examples of the Pe/Je functions without naming them, yet when describing the Extraverted type. Se , Fe, Te, and Ne users all carry the functions beneath them and this is what keeps them all extraverted. None of the other functions are as strong as the dominant unless you are mentally unclear. With that said, the same goes for the Introverts. All introverts will look alike to observers because they are all subjective in nature. However, they are separated by what they're subjective to: Fi, Ni, Si , and Ti Lord over the functions under and this is what keeps them introverted. Fe/Te in INJs will not look as objective and will only seek reconciliation,* harmony , universal law or universal ideas, according to the Ni reality, whether insights, visions, or mere perception of the world around them. The same goes for ISJs, and IFPs/ITPs will use Se/Ne to the benefit of Fi & Ti..keeping them subjective/introverted. Se and Ne will only be used to benefit Ti or Fi by way of expression or checking ideas to see if they're valid in objective reality. (Otherwise, how could one build logical/ethical systems, heathily?)

Below, Jung gives leeway to the idea of a function stack that at least, to me, looks like :

T - Dom
S - Aux
N - Tert
F - Inferior

& vice versa. In Psychological Types, he points out the inferior of each dominant E/I type. Te/Fi, Fe/Ti, Se/Ni, & etc..(Granted, Ti could make anything in objective reality an inferior by default.)

Now,* If we take a look at Te types, we can see in PT that Jung says Fi is the unconscious/inferior feeling that antagonizes Te.* So, here, we at least have Te > X > X > Fi.

I looked at the quoted text below, (taken from :
Source: "Introduction to Jungian Psychology, Notes of the Seminar on Analytical Psychology Given in 1925 -- C.G. Jung -- Pg 75-76")

"You cannot get directly to the inferior function from the superior, it must always be via the auxiliary function. It is as though the unconscious were in such antagonism to the superior function that it allowed no direct attack. The process of working through the auxiliary functions goes on somewhat as follows: Suppose you have sensation strongly developed but are not fanatical about it. Then you can admit about every situation a certain aura of possibilities; that is to say, you permit an intuitive element to come in. Sensation as an auxiliary function would allow intuition to exist. But inasmuch as sensation (in the example) is a partisan of the intellect, intuition sides with the feeling, here the inferior function.Therefore the intellect will not agree with intuition, in this case, and will vote for its exclusion. Intellect will not hold together sensation and intuition, rather it will separate them. Such a destructive attempt will be checked by feeling, which backs up intuition.

Looking at it the other way around, if you are an intuitive type, you can't get to your sensations directly. They are full of monsters, and so you have to go by way of your intellect or feeling, whichever is the auxiliary in the conscious. It needs very cool reasoning for such a man to keep himself down to reality. To sum up then, the way is from the superior to the auxiliary, from the latter to the function opposite to the auxiliary. Usually this first conflict that is aroused between the auxiliary function in the conscious and its opposite function in the unconscious is the fight that takes place in analysis. This may be called the preliminary conflict. The knockdown battle between the superior and inferior functions only takes place in life. In the example of the intellectual sensation type, I suggested the preliminary conflict would be between sensation and intuition, and the final fight between intellect and feeling."

....And applied what Jung wrote in PT about all of the dom/inferior types. I gathered that Te > Si is more appropriate instead of Te > Se because if I gathered Te > Se then I'd have to gather Te > Se > Ni > Fi. Although Jung never claimed Pe can't come after Je, in my analytical mind, that would make no sense because then you are never processing objective data. Then, there creates a large imbalance that would drive one mad in the objective reality. Not only this but if Je > Pe > Pi > Ji, then you have to assume that Ji dom > Pi aux.. & again, there is no healthy way to express/test values or perceptive insights or impressions in the concrete/objective reality to build systems or know what is right/wrong. One could be a mute in such a case.

So in my mind, for the ESTJ , Te dom > Si aux makes the most sense. Then by default, Ne > Fi. It would make no sense for it to be Te > Si, then Ni > Fi, either... because Ni is not the inferior of Si and it would make Jung's theory come apart, which I doubt, (Who am I?), is what he was getting at. Ne has to antagonize the Si auxiliary function since Ne is Si's antagonist. (As Jung implied in PT.) In such a case and as stated about the ESTJ, (Even in the dichotomy usage of it), T wouldn't allow S & N to coexist .. and then, ultimately, it would become a huge battle between T/F.

Furthermore, what Jung describes in the above quotes tells my brain that there is no Dom-Tert "loop." You cannot get to the Tertiary unless you get through your auxiliary. He also refers to the tertiary as the inferior's aux function. The tertiary is the "unconscious aux" he talked about in PT & the above quote, further proves that. The tertiary might screw with the aux & dom a tad but... tertiary will always side with the inferior & eventually, it will frustrate the dom & inferior, leading to stress mode & psychosis.

Furthermore, people who say "ISFPs Se/Ni are amazing!" -- I doubt it because the F/T wouldn't allow it as permanent / compatible characters.

Although we don't seem to agree, I cannot tell you or anyone that your comprehension is wrong, especially if we've read the same material. However, I do enjoy the discussion for the sake of learning. I could be wrong about certain things as I'm not entirely certain of my own comprehensive skills but I do think I am about 65% correct. :)

All of this is largely subjective'ish...

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
I apologize in advance as this will be a bit much.

I'll try to explain my comprehension the best way I can.

To my knowledge, what all Extraverts* have in common is that they are orientated by objective data. Jung gave examples of the Pe/Je functions without naming them, yet when describing the Extraverted type. Se , Fe, Te, and Ne users all carry the functions beneath them and this is what keeps them all extraverted. None of the other functions are as strong as the dominant unless you are mentally unclear. With that said, the same goes for the Introverts. All introverts will look alike to observers because they are all subjective in nature. However, they are separated by what they're subjective to: Fi, Ni, Si , and Ti Lord over the functions under and this is what keeps them introverted. Fe/Te in INJs will not look as objective and will only seek reconciliation,* harmony , universal law or universal ideas, according to the Ni reality, whether insights, visions, or mere perception of the world around them. The same goes for ISJs, and IFPs/ITPs will use Se/Ne to the benefit of Fi & Ti..keeping them subjective/introverted. Se and Ne will only be used to benefit Ti or Fi by way of expression or checking ideas to see if they're valid in objective reality. (Otherwise, how could one build logical/ethical systems, heathily?)

Below, Jung gives leeway to the idea of a function stack that at least, to me, looks like :

T - Dom
S - Aux
N - Tert
F - Inferior

& vice versa. In Psychological Types, he points out the inferior of each dominant E/I type. Te/Fi, Fe/Ti, Se/Ni, & etc..(Granted, Ti could make anything in objective reality an inferior by default.)

Now,* If we take a look at Te types, we can see in PT that Jung says Fi is the unconscious/inferior feeling that antagonizes Te.* So, here, we at least have Te > X > X > Fi.

I looked at the quoted text below, (taken from :
Source: "Introduction to Jungian Psychology, Notes of the Seminar on Analytical Psychology Given in 1925 -- C.G. Jung -- Pg 75-76")

"You cannot get directly to the inferior function from the superior, it must always be via the auxiliary function. It is as though the unconscious were in such antagonism to the superior function that it allowed no direct attack. The process of working through the auxiliary functions goes on somewhat as follows: Suppose you have sensation strongly developed but are not fanatical about it. Then you can admit about every situation a certain aura of possibilities; that is to say, you permit an intuitive element to come in. Sensation as an auxiliary function would allow intuition to exist. But inasmuch as sensation (in the example) is a partisan of the intellect, intuition sides with the feeling, here the inferior function.Therefore the intellect will not agree with intuition, in this case, and will vote for its exclusion. Intellect will not hold together sensation and intuition, rather it will separate them. Such a destructive attempt will be checked by feeling, which backs up intuition.

Looking at it the other way around, if you are an intuitive type, you can't get to your sensations directly. They are full of monsters, and so you have to go by way of your intellect or feeling, whichever is the auxiliary in the conscious. It needs very cool reasoning for such a man to keep himself down to reality. To sum up then, the way is from the superior to the auxiliary, from the latter to the function opposite to the auxiliary. Usually this first conflict that is aroused between the auxiliary function in the conscious and its opposite function in the unconscious is the fight that takes place in analysis. This may be called the preliminary conflict. The knockdown battle between the superior and inferior functions only takes place in life. In the example of the intellectual sensation type, I suggested the preliminary conflict would be between sensation and intuition, and the final fight between intellect and feeling."

....And applied what Jung wrote in PT about all of the dom/inferior types. I gathered that Te > Si is more appropriate instead of Te > Se because if I gathered Te > Se then I'd have to gather Te > Se > Ni > Fi. Although Jung never claimed Pe can't come after Je, in my analytical mind, that would make no sense because then you are never processing objective data. Then, there creates a large imbalance that would drive one mad in the objective reality. Not only this but if Je > Pe > Pi > Ji, then you have to assume that Ji dom > Pi aux.. & again, there is no healthy way to express/test values or perceptive insights or impressions in the concrete/objective reality to build systems or know what is right/wrong. One could be a mute in such a case.

So in my mind, for the ESTJ , Te dom > Si aux makes the most sense. Then by default, Ne > Fi. It would make no sense for it to be Te > Si, then Ni > Fi, either... because Ni is not the inferior of Si and it would make Jung's theory come apart, which I doubt, (Who am I?), is what he was getting at. Ne has to antagonize the Si auxiliary function since Ne is Si's antagonist. (As Jung implied in PT.) In such a case and as stated about the ESTJ, (Even in the dichotomy usage of it), T wouldn't allow S & N to coexist .. and then, ultimately, it would become a huge battle between T/F.

Furthermore, what Jung describes in the above quotes tells my brain that there is no Dom-Tert "loop." You cannot get to the Tertiary unless you get through your auxiliary. He also refers to the tertiary as the inferior's aux function. The tertiary is the "unconscious aux" he talked about in PT & the above quote, further proves that. The tertiary might screw with the aux & dom a tad but... tertiary will always side with the inferior & eventually, it will frustrate the dom & inferior, leading to stress mode & psychosis.

Furthermore, people who say "ISFPs Se/Ni are amazing!" -- I doubt it because the F/T wouldn't allow it as permanent / compatible characters.

Although we don't seem to agree, I cannot tell you or anyone that your comprehension is wrong, especially if we've read the same material. However, I do enjoy the discussion for the sake of learning. I could be wrong about certain things as I'm not entirely certain of my own comprehensive skills but I do think I am about 65% correct. :)

All of this is largely subjective'ish...
Except this doesn't add up to what Jung said about a Ti with an undifferentiated auxiliary function.

Carl Jung said:
The counterbalancing functions of feeling, intuition, and sensation are comparatively unconscious and inferior, and therefore have a primitive extraverted character that accounts for all the troublesome influences from outside to which the introverted thinker is prone.
The same would apply for a Te type with an undifferentiated auxiliary function, where it would be Te > Si & Ni > Fi, and so forth. So the only thing left to argue is the orientation of the auxiliary when conscious, as well as the corresponding auxiliary of the inferior.

Carl Jung said:
If we think of the psychological function [sic] as arranged in a circle, then the most differentiated function is usually the carrier of the ego and, equally regularly, has an auxiliary function attached to it. The "inferior" function, on the other hand, is unconscious and for that reason is projected into a non-ego. It too has an auxiliary function. ...

In the psychology of the functions there are two conscious and therefore masculine functions, the differentiated function and its auxiliary, which are represented in dreams by, say, father and son, whereas the unconscious functions appear as mother and daughter. Since the conflict between the two auxiliary functions is not nearly as great as that between the differentiated and the inferior function, it is possible for the third function — that is, the unconscious auxiliary one — to be raised to consciousness and thus made masculine. It will, however, bring with it traces of its contamination with the inferior function, thus acting as a kind of link with the darkness of the unconscious.
I propose three function models for an Introverted Thinking type.

1. Pure Ti. Ti > Se & Ne > Fe
2. Jung himself as a Ti. Ti > Ni > Se > Fe OR Ti > N > Se > Fe
3. Ti with tertiary. Ti > Ni > S > Fe OR Ti > N > S > Fe.

My phone is low on battery, so I'll stop my train of thought here for now.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
@TornadicX The objectively oriented consciousness would be balanced somewhat by the subjectively oriented unconscious functions, and that's why Te-Se-Ni-Fi (assuming what I call "typical form" with 2 conscious functions), although it's probably better to think of it as T-S[N-F] to show that the T and S work together in the consciousness and are balanced by unconscious N and F, and their orientation is such as a function of their relation to the consciousness, rather than 4 equally separate entities. It's more like two groups of functions each in their own container.

And the conscious functions are not purely introverted or extraverted, but rather more in one direction than the other. Like when Jung describes healthy Introverted Thinking types, he talks about how their subjective thinking is balanced with what can be seen as extraverted thinking. So even within their Thinking function which is dominant and aimed to the "subject", it can be partially balanced by itself as seen in healthy individuals.

So it probably ends up being something more like (for what I call ETS types in my signature link):
Dominant: Thinking (Primarily objective, can be balanced with subjective Thinking)
Auxiliary: Sensing (Primarily objective when differentiated into consciousness as seen in most people, but "naturally" subjective)
Tertiary: Intuition (Naturally subjective, but can act as a third conscious function, in which case would be primarily objective and act as a "bridge to the inferior")
Inferior: Feeling (Primarily subjective, not sure how much object focus is allowed)

This is very similar to what Soul Kitchen described and also allows for 3 basic subtypes, depending on how far down the stack the consciousness extends.

Reactions: TornadicX
1 - 20 of 32 Posts