Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of the times, I feel stuck in the past and unable to let go of the things that once hurt me. Even when I kind of want to, I end up getting picture flashbacks when something reminds me of the negative experiences and I start feeling the way I did back then. I've felt this way for so long that it's become baggage, as if it were a part of me and I can feel it with me from the moment I wake up to when I go to sleep.

I thought this might be an Fi-Si loop and was wondering if you guys knew how to break it? For a while I actually thought I was an INFJ, but the fact that I feel so stuck in the past was evidence that I am not.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Sounds like a Fi-Si loop to me.

INFJ was the result I got when I first took the test at age 17. I didn't question it for 3 years, until I took the test again online and got INFP, which fit even better. A lot of the external "signs" are similar enough that they're easily confused... I think it's not until you dig deep that you really find the differences.

Breaking it, according to the theory, requires a heavy dose of Ne and some Te. Basically you have to fight against all your instincts and put yourself back out there, hoping that things might turn out differently this time. Ne gives you the possibilities, Te helps Fi make the decision and put it all into action.

Is there some hobby that requires going out, to a class or a club or something? Or is there somewhere (preferably in nature) where you can take long walks? Or maybe even a free online course about something you've always wanted to try?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
In the five factor model there is an added dimension to the four we know from MBTI. It's called neuroticism. It measures how easy it is for you to experience negative emotions. If you often find yourself in negative thoughts and have a hard time getting out of them, this personality trait might be part of the answer.
On the other hand, if you genuinely have had very bad past experiences, they will of course haunt you (this applies to all types).

You can find sources on the internet regarding how to let go of past experiences and become more calm. There are a whole lot. Just pick what you think suits you the best.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both of those responses were really helpful, thank you! I think I could probably try some different things like go out for hikes or relax at the park when finals are over.

And I've never heard of neuroticism in MBTI, but that does sound like me in that I get negative emotions very easily and it's harder for me to get out of them than it seems like it is for others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.