Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit I don't have a firm grasp on cognitive functions so please bear with me, but how do you guys differentiate between Fi and Fe? I've been having a difficult time typing myself and a lot of it has to do with that Ti/Fe and Te/Fi divide.

When I was younger I felt very certain I was a Fi-user but recently I feel unsure. I understand that Fe may be very concerned with people-pleasing/paying attention to others' needs but I'm sure Fi is capable of the same things. So I'm assuming the difference to be found between the two is through their motivations?

I grew up being very callous and generally self-serving (very stereotypically abided by my own personal "moral code" or whatever) but at one point I realized, in spite of how ever cliche it might sound, that empathy and compassion were important traits, and so I sought to develop that.

Now I feel much more hyperaware of other people's feelings and I think I act a little too selflessly with strangers (to the point that its annoyed my ISTJ mother). The behaviors I exhibit now seem much more stereotypically Fe (eg. trying to make sure everyone feels comfortable, and if someone I'm with isn't enjoying themselves it definitely affects my enjoyment, and if I sense they're just faking enjoyment to be polite, I automatically switch gears to find the "right" way to make them feel good), but I'm not sure if that means I've "changed" functions or something. I don't really believe it's possible to "change" functions, only just develop them, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm just not sure if I've actually been a Fe-user all along or if there's something about Fi that I'm not understanding. Most of the behavior I've changed about myself is mostly because I've recognized my own discomfort or unhappiness with situations I've experienced, and so I only think it's natural that I would try to prevent other people I interact with from feeling the same way. Not sure if that motivation changes anything.

Could anybody clarify Fi vs Fe differences for me? If it helps, I used to consider myself an INTJ but obviously I'm pretty unsure now.

(Also a bonus question:

Not sure if this means anything in relation to MBTI, but I've noticed that I instinctively act a certain way to provoke different reactions from people. Usually, it's not something I realize until the interaction is over, or at least midway through.

I think recently I was supposed to meet with someone I was not particularly looking forward to meeting, in the company of a friend. I had nothing against this person other than the fact that I was obligated to meet with him to make some big life decisions (sorry to be vague) and I had a feeling he was going to try to play nice and convince me to take a different route from the one I was set on taking. My friend had told me only good things about him but I think I still appeared very standoffish by my body language (sat with arms crossed, legs open, didn't make any efforts to lean in during conversation, etc.). My friend mentioned that he seemed very different during the encounter, mostly because he seemed less certain of himself, and then pointed out that I was likely the cause of it.

Is that anything to do with functions or was that just a situation in which I was unconsciously being a stubborn dick and I'm overanalyzing?)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Fi: Congruency and authenticity: values, beliefs, emotions, actions in alignment.

Fe: Harmony and relational connections: utilize a strong social framework (usually society values rather than individual) which works to accomodate and apply to everyone.

Internal values vs. External values

Fi can choose to be more accomodating as a personal value and act based on that internal belief. I think you're still Fi myself. Taken any cognitive tests lately for additional insight?

Bonus Answer: Fi. For whatever reason you made your judgment/decision beforehand. Not sure its cognitive function though. Not enough context.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fi: Congruency and authenticity: values, beliefs, emotions, actions in alignment.

Fe: Harmony and relational connections: utilize a strong social framework (usually society values rather than individual) which works to accomodate and apply to everyone.

Internal values vs. External values

Fi can choose to be more accomodating as a personal value and act based on that internal belief. I think you're still Fi myself. Taken any cognitive tests lately for additional insight?

Bonus Answer: Fi. For whatever reason you made your judgment/decision beforehand. Not sure its cognitive function though. Not enough context.
Thanks for the response. I agree with you about me still being a Fi-user. I haven't taken any cognitive tests lately mostly because I think they've been unhelpful. Maybe I'll take one again just to see.

At the same time, I've been reading up on INFJ descriptions and they seem pretty relatable while I don't think I relate as much to INTJ descriptions. I still think I'm a Fi-user, though, so I'm not sure what to make of this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts