Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I recently read that INFJs prefer to read theoretical nonfiction books, while INFPs are more into fiction. Is this true for anyone out there? I know that I love fantasy but I got typed as an INFJ, so I'm starting to wonder.

Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I read fiction much, much more than nonfiction, and I rarely finish a nonfiction book. So this seems to apply to me. I like fantasy the most, too. Although I love writing fiction, I dislike the impersonal style of, well nonfiction. It's not that I'm not curious, I just read shorter texts like articles. Mostly my interest is satisfied once I feel like I have a basic understanding of the subject.
Books aren't something to educate me mainly, but rather to take me somewhere else and let the time fly.

If you apply this to cognitive function, I'd say that the Ni if INFJ always wants to dig deeper and deeper into a subject, whereas the Ne of INFPs is more of a general curiosity that wants breadth. Also maybe the Fi of the INFP likes subjective feelings and truth of emotions rather than factual knowledge and neutral information - because it's somehow ... colorless the way it is often presented.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
252 Posts
If I had to choose between a non-fiction book on my area of interest or a fantasy, I'd take the non-fiction unless someone persuades me that the fantasy book is a good read. I'm not very fond of fantasy but that's a matter of preference. Give me a choice between classic literature and a non-fiction book and I'd take fiction.

When I read fiction, I generally read for the characters and their evolution. If the book has poorly developed characters, I would not enjoy it. How I 'escape' into a book is by trying to get into the mind of the narrator/main character, so whether it is set in a place that is very much like our own or in a fantasy world, it doesn't matter to me a lot. As long as it makes me think.

·
Registered
16,020 Posts
I love non-fiction, books on diaries, journals and letters, autobiographies, cookbooks that discuss customs and culture (not just recipes). I love conspiracy subjects or books that push the limits of what is accepted normally. Like *hidden knowledge*. I love gonzo writers, Hunter Thompson, Lester Bangs, Vonnegut, Alexander Cockburn, Michael Musto. HST and Vonnegut wrote great fiction but HST also wrote great social commentary. His 2 books of personal letters are my 2 fav books ever. Not too much into sci-fi or historical fiction. Not into books like Emma or P & P. I was thinking about reading Lena Dunham's book next. I also love feminist non-fiction and fiction, like The Women's Room and women's empowerment, like Crones Don't Whine or Goddesses In Every Woman.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,359 Posts
I like both....

I think overall I LOVE and feel like I 'identify' with fiction more

but I'm not sure that I'm necessarily drawn to pick up one more than the other. a lot of things sound interesting

however I do tend to actually read more fiction because non-fiction is usually divided up in a way that is easier to put down after an interesting chapter and then get distracted by something else and not feel that nagging at the back of the brain to get back to it, whereas fiction often doesn't have very complete 'stopping points' lined up with chapters and I keep thinking about the characters and wondering how they are because they are my friends. So I'm much more likely to finish fiction books, while non-fiction i tend to jump around and read interesting portions without reading straight cover to cover.

hmmm.... when I think about it, while the actual world is very fascinating, I'm still always more captivated by imagined worlds.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
It depends for me as well. Many times reality is stranger than fiction! I can read books on Samurai and Vikings as much as I can read LOTR. No rhyme or reason, really. Fiction or nonfiction, either way you get a unique insight into the mind of the author or the subjects, which gives perspective into the specific time and place in which they exist.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
I prefer fiction. Specifically crime/ thriller/ action novels.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Loved fiction as a kid, can't get into them as much now (John Green books being the exception). I'm more into histories now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Most of the time I have one fiction and one non fiction going, although if I look at it over the course of my life I think I've read more fiction books overal, maybe because when it comes to nonfiction a lot of the authors can be quite boring so I look to other ways of learning about the topic of interest like videos, articles etc.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
To me, it's really comparing apples and oranges. They both have different values and provide very different experiences.

I appreciate fiction for its ability to contemplate new or literally "out of this world" ideas. If fiction can provide rich, well-developed characters to study (A Song of Ice and Fire would be a good example of this) and a unique world that's worth exploring, then I'll find it very enjoyable. Fiction also has high value to me where the parable is concerned; real issues and solutions can be effectively discussed in hypothetical/fictional formats.

I also appreciate non-fiction for its, well, realness. I enjoy taking in the experiences or viewpoints of real individuals or learning from history. Non-fiction that explores concepts or factors of life are usually my favorites (The Noonday Demon, Quiet, The Man who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, etc.)

·
Registered
847 Posts
I definitely prefer fiction books. If I read I do it to escape the real world for a while and it's fascinating to get to know a completely new one, that you know everyone imagines slightly different.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For the most part, I feel that reading fiction is a wasted opportunity to read non-fiction and learn something new. I also have little time/desire to read fictional books in college when I'm assigned to read so much material already.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
I usually read non-fiction, and yes often considering theoretical subjects. Only within the last few years have I started to read fiction. I honestly like both now. I think this is more a personal rather than a type preference.

·
Registered
466 Posts
There's not a lot of nonfiction I'm super excited to read. I mean, there sometimes is. But not a lot.
I'm a fantasy junkie, and always have been.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Technically nonfiction includes fiction, but fiction that could theoretically happen--it's not fantasy. I prefer nonfiction fiction to complete fiction. Also like the other side of the spectrum--cartoons. I've been obsessed with cartoons like Foxtrot and Peanuts since I was 9. I suppose being situational it can still theoretically happen

·
Registered
54 Posts
I prefer fictionof all types. Nonfiction is usually too dry to suit me. I've also had bad luck buying nonfiction...it usually amounts to people trying to sell their products.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
INFJ here

I love non fiction more because when I get into a subject matter I'd love to read about it from different books. Right now I am into understanding being an undertaker and a medical examiner and reading several books on these subject matters.

Fiction I prefer thriller, psychological and action is a deadly combo. I have the latest Stephen Kings on CDs and several other top rated newer thrillers on my library hold shelf because I am working my way thru Game of Thrones' 28 CDs!

·
Registered
547 Posts
When I was younger, I mostly read non-fiction and rarely ever got through a novel. In fact, I only really started getting into novels after school when I had time to choose my own and to decide whether I wanted to read them or not. I think that when I was younger, I was all about being 'smart', and I liked to collect facts, mostly about religion, philosophy, science, history, and geography. But as I get older, I am appreciating the truth in good fiction. I am not really into fantasy or sci-fi, but I do enjoy good speculative fiction that is focused on social issues. My preference is for literary fiction that explores ideas that I can pull apart. Some of my favourite novels are The Catcher in the Rye, East of Eden, The Picture of Dorian Grey, Special Topics in Calamity Physics, 1984, Brave New World, To Kill A Mockingbird...I do love to read a good novel but I need to get some learning out of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts